2nd Gen CX-9 High mileage club, how's it holding up?

Here's one for sale with 180,000 miles, looks new.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...akeCode1=MAZDA&modelCode1=CX-9&dealerId=68023

5b8d5f4829884e1bb23bd7f07a455ec8.jpg

But how many engine replacements tho?

Jk 😂

That's actually a valid question! We don't know the history or story behind that CX-9(it could have had at least one engine replaced for all we know), at least on these forums I don't think we've come across a 2nd gen over 100k miles that hasn't had the dreaded engine block leak issue.

That's not to say that it's(the dreaded engine block leak) inevitable in all 2nd gen's, because as time goes by and more and more owners here approach 100k miles, we'll have more data, and perhaps we'll see that it's more isolated than it appears. Of course we hope not too many of us will have that issue.

Hello guys, soon to be owner of a 2019 CX-9 with 17k miles.

Last week I have checked the forum and there is a thread about the coolant leak and a member mentions the engine replaced is not compatible with 2016 thru 2018 model years. This made the group thinking the block engine crack issue may have been solved on 2019 MY. Anyway I am buying the CX-9 certified by Mazda and it comes with 7 years or 100,000 miles, both starting at the service of the car (I will have roughly 5 years and 80k miles of warranty). This gives me some confidence to go with this vehicle but I will keep a close eye on any potential coolant leak, which seems to be the only serious issue with the car.

I am learning a lot from the forum and really exited to get my hands on the CX-9

Hello guys, soon to be owner of a 2019 CX-9 with 17k miles.

Last week I have checked the forum and there is a thread about the coolant leak and a member mentions the engine replaced is not compatible with 2016 thru 2018 model years. This made the group thinking the block engine crack issue may have been solved on 2019 MY. Anyway I am buying the CX-9 certified by Mazda and it comes with 7 years or 100,000 miles, both starting at the service of the car (I will have roughly 5 years and 80k miles of warranty). This gives me some confidence to go with this vehicle but I will keep a close eye on any potential coolant leak, which seems to be the only serious issue with the car.

I am learning a lot from the forum and really exited to get my hands on the CX-9
Congrats. It'll likely be a trouble free vehicle for you. Most reliable 3-row on the market.

So just an update, new engine at 57k.. and 63k, the transmission/engine started making a distinctive thunk/rattle when changing gears, something that wasn't there before... we thought long and hard about it, but decided that maybe this car was gonna be trouble, and let it be someone else's problem child... so we swapped it out for a new 21 CX9 Signature with the all beige leather interior. Which is an extremely tight vehicle compared to our 17 CX9 Signature.. much more sound deadening, smoother engine, much more refined experience. Same color, it was a bit weird at first because it's a new car, but it didn't feel like a new car... but I'm crossing my fingers for better luck with this one.

So just an update, new engine at 57k.. and 63k, the transmission/engine started making a distinctive thunk/rattle when changing gears, something that wasn't there before... we thought long and hard about it, but decided that maybe this car was gonna be trouble, and let it be someone else's problem child... so we swapped it out for a new 21 CX9 Signature with the all beige leather interior. Which is an extremely tight vehicle compared to our 17 CX9 Signature.. much more sound deadening, smoother engine, much more refined experience. Same color, it was a bit weird at first because it's a new car, but it didn't feel like a new car... but I'm crossing my fingers for better luck with this one.

Seems like these engine replacements aren't doing so great. The job is just so complex to expect a not so highly paid mechanic to take everything apart and put it back to factory spec.

Haven't heard, but do you get a fresh warranty on the whole drivetrain after new engine swap?

Seems like these engine replacements aren't doing so great. The job is just so complex to expect a not so highly paid mechanic to take everything apart and put it back to factory spec.

Haven't heard, but do you get a fresh warranty on the whole drivetrain after new engine swap?
No, just warranty till 60k.. the dealer promised to work with us if we had issues and I gotta say, they are a good dealer and I'm sure they would have gone to bat and fixed it, but it's the Mrs car that she drives the kids around in.. peace of mind by going to a new one and they gave us an incredible trade offer on it. We had some hail damage, two of the wheels needed refinishing, there were some other things, like the front clip, the plastic had split on both sides (I attribute that maybe to the hedge my driver's Ed student drove the car thru... I had to teach two people how to drive in the mazda).. so all in all, it was a great time to swap it.

Reactions: JPL
Welp, I did an oil change this weekend at 65K miles and noted the following things:

Low coolant level.
Strong odor of coolant while standing outside the car with the engine idling.
Whiteish/Dark Green residue all over oil filter and surrounding areas.

I hauled it in today and the dealership is saying engine block.

Luckily someone did reach me about an extended warranty. ;) I'm covered up until about 110K miles.

I'm in a CX-30 until the Extended Warranty comes bay authorizing a rental.

Welp, I did an oil change this weekend at 65K miles and noted the following things:

Low coolant level.

Luckily someone did reach me about an extended warranty. ;) I'm covered up until about 110K miles.

Mazda is apparently replacing the engine even out of warranty. I'd try to get Mazda to do that before the extra warranty route possibly. Go here to talk more about it: https://mazdas247.com/forum/t/2-5t-...cement-what-can-be-done-to-prevent.123875515/

Mazda is apparently replacing the engine even out of warranty. I'd try to get Mazda to do that before the extra warranty route possibly. Go here to talk more about it: https://mazdas247.com/forum/t/2-5t-...cement-what-can-be-done-to-prevent.123875515/
I posted in that thread.

Currently trying the extended warranty, as the dealership is declaring me out of the powertrain warranty.

I'll contact Mazda North America corporate offices if the extended warranty denies me, as I'm a brand loyal Mazda Fanboy.

Several 1st gen RX-7s, Several 2nd gen RX-7s, a B2600i 4x4 pickup, and a 2003 MPV have been in my fleet; I still own a couple RX-7s and have been steering people towards Mazda for a long while now.

Low coolant level.

Which extended coverage did you opt for?

Is the 2nd generation engine block cracking issue that results in a required engine replacement only happening to the 2016 through 2018 model years? I have a 2019, so I'm curious if mine could be effected by this problem or if they remedied the issue for the 2019 model year.

Is the 2nd generation engine block cracking issue that results in a required engine replacement only happening to the 2016 through 2018 model years? I have a 2019, so I'm curious if mine could be effected by this problem or if they remedied the issue for the 2019 model year.

We can check the part number to hone in on it, but I believe it was Model Year 2020 that they made the engine revisions:

Welp... Looks like I'm getting the updated engine.

PYZ3-02A-300D is listed on my parts bill.

Thanks for the update Pele, hope Brown's does a great job with the engine installation on your CX9 (I've had good experiences with them in the past). Let us know how the car feels once you get it back.

Thanks for the update Pele, hope Brown's does a great job with the engine installation on your CX9 (I've had good experiences with them in the past). Let us know how the car feels once you get it back.
Well, I've gotta go through break-in all over again... So I won't be flogging on it as per usual. :(

Back