245/60-18 or 245/65-17 for winter tires?

:
2013 Mazda CX-9 GT
I'm going to be ordering a winter wheel & tire package soon for our new 2013 CX-9 GT (which has the 245/50-20 all-seasons of course).

The two sizes mentioned above in my thread title are the recommended winter tire minus-size options listed at tirerack.

The 17" package will be marginally cheaper, but I imagine the 18" wheels will look nicer on the vehicle. Does anyone have a sense of whether that ~1/2" of extra sidewall height going with the 65 profile tire noticeably degrades the vehicle's handling at all? (I do like the fact that the 18" package maintain's the OEM profile of the GS model's 18" equipment, but that's not the be all end all).

For those that got a winter package, did you go 17" or 18" and why?

Thanks.

Greetings!
Just recently solved such problem. I chose the 18" Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7 SUV 245/60 R18 109T (https://www.nokiantyres.ru/tyre-ru?id=16898448&group=2.01&name=Nokian+Hakkapeliitta+7+SUV) tires on the original rims. In Russia, we have a choice of 20" and 18' wheels (http://www.mazda.ru/owning/accessories/), 17-inch wheel is only temporary. And the dealer saysб that the installation of the other wheel sizes leads to a denial of warranty.
It is the optimum solution for the winter: 18" wheel lighter than a similar 20", and this, together with the more high profile, reduces the unsprung mass. The car goes softer, suspension suffer less. In the snow paddles better, less risk of damage to the tire. 17" with an even higher profile may be harder to control at high speed. In your case, I would have stopped the choice on Michelin Latitude X-Ice Xi2 245/60 R18 105T or Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV, If studded tires are prohibited in Canada & US.
Have a nice winter driving!
Sorry for my english.

Well, I've decided a wheel. The Anzio Turn:
an_turn_bs_ci3_l.jpg

I think it'll suit the CX-9 nicely, and is not that too far off in design from the OEM 18" & 20" Mazda wheels.

For tires I'm looking at the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1. (In my personal experience Blizzaks > X-Ice).

I've asked for quotes for a 17" pkg vs. an 18" pkg, but I'm definitely leaning towards 18".

17's work just fine. I've run 18's on other vehicles - not a huge difference, but the 17's with taller sidewall work better in the snow. And handle a bit worse in the dry / wet. All depends how you want to compromise.

I'm rolling on 17's for the winter - usually after a couple months of salt on the road, we've got wicked potholes so I figured that extra half inch of sidewall gained with 17" wheels will help soften the blow.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123835669-Pics-of-new-17-quot-snow-tires

The Anzio Turn wheels were also on my short list; they are low pressure cast and thus lighter and stronger. Most of tire rack's wheels are gravity cast. I ended up with Rial Como wheels.

My Honda Accord does not have snow tires, and its very squirrely in the ice and slush. Could also be that I'm out of practice, I've been away from snow country for a few years.

Back