215/45's on OEMs?

rustychops41

:
2007 Mazda 3s HB
Since my Goodyears are nearing the end of their life (hooray!) it's tire time. From what I read here, 215/45's will work on the OEM "snowflakes", but what are the cons/pros? For the record, I don't mind a slight speedo error, and who doesn't like a wider contact patch. Has anyone out there gone this route? And also some pics would be really swell. I'm curious if they look too goofy on the 6.5's.

You shouldn't have any problems other than a slight speedo error. I was running 215/50/17's, which are even larger and never had any (five-0) pull me over. Here's a couple of pics. I don't have the snowflakes but essentially the same size rim. If you're not lowered, I think the 50's fill out the wheel well a little more than the stock tire.

Attachments

• P2200048.JPG
    P2200048.JPG
    831.9 KB · Views: 311
  • P2200049.JPG
    P2200049.JPG
    504.6 KB · Views: 289
Thanks a ton!

Wow, thanks for the pics. That's what I wanted to see, that the sidewalls don't look "pinched in" at the wheel. I actually liked the old 5 spoke wheels better myself, I bet they are easier to clean and take care of. Thanks again, MazdaForums rule.

I don't know of any 215/45's that will fit on the stock width of rim. Check the specs of any tire you are thinking of purchasing.

I'm actually running General Exclaim UHP 215.45.17 on my OEM rims and they haven't cause me any issues.

2655418_137_full.jpg

2655418_128_full.jpg

Small world

I was actually considering that exact tire, the General UHP. I had them in 205/45-16 on my PR5, (albeit on 16x7's) and while not exactly super-sticky street meanies, they're cheap, perform good enough, ride great and are quiet. Everyone says the Goodyears are garbage. I still may go with the UHP in the OEM size of 205/50-17, but oddly enough the 215/45's are cheaper. And I do realize the 'design width' for the 215/45's is 7.0+". Something I hope to aquire later is a set of 7" or 7.5" wide wheels. Thanks for the cool pics too. As always, this forum is the bomb.

I put 215-45-17 BF Goodrich Super Sport A/S tires on my oem 17" snowflakes.
The diameter (and consequently the speedo) difference is under 2%. Not really noticeable, even at highway speeds.

My motivation was money...Tirerack had this specific size on sale for $89 at one point.
Awesome all season tire, btw.

I'm getting ready to buy tires too. The guy at discount tire was telling me that he has a 3 with oem wheels an 225/45/17's. Any one here running that wide?

im also curious to know if that would run ok.....my goodyears have lasted me about 9k miles and are about done.....lookin at either uhp's from general tire or yokohama s drives

im also curious to know if that would run ok.....my goodyears have lasted me about 9k miles and are about done.....lookin at either uhp's from general tire or yokohama s drives

I ended up getting the Yokohama s.drives in the OEM size of 205/50-17. (Sadly, I now pay sales tax at the Tire Rack because I live in Nevada -DOH!) But anyway, so far: The ride harshness is up a bit, but I expected this from a more performance-oriented tire with a higher load rating. The noise is about the same as the well worn Goodyears (36K miles), but I'm sure the RS-As were picked for low noise and comfort. God knows they weren't picked for grip, which is now WAY UP. As soon as I get over 500 miles on them I'll spank them hard on an on-ramp and go from there. Oddly, the car seems a tad slower in a straight line. Taller rolling diameter due to full tread vrs nearly worn-out tread, or possibly the Yokos are heavier too.

i actually went with the generals, which at first seemed to have less grip than the good years, for the first 100 miles. now - 500miles later, they grip the road like a rollercoaster. wet traction is pretty awesome too. road noise is less than the bald rsa's and they dont bubble as much either around corners.

Ok I did it. I'm running Dunlop Dirreza star spec 225/45r17's on snowflakes. Lowered 1.5 with mazdaspeed coilovers. If I turn the wheel all the way, it rubs just a lil if you hit a bump while turning. By the way, love those tires! Very, Very Sticky, with some road noise. But you really can't hear the noise over the passengers screaming.

Attachments

• _DSC8104.JPG
    _DSC8104.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 231
Ok I did it. I'm running Dunlop Dirreza star spec 225/45r17's on snowflakes. Lowered 1.5 with mazdaspeed coilovers. If I turn the wheel all the way, it rubs just a lil if you hit a bump while turning. By the way, love those tires! Very, Very Sticky, with some road noise. But you really can't hear the noise over the passengers screaming.

sorry to revive this but ^^^^ your tires didnt get as meaty as i though they would. im stuck between getting the 215/45 and 225/45 on those same stock rims. i thought it was back to run 225/45 on teh stock 6.5" wide rim. i just dont want to have any tire issues nor make my car look funny with fat tires on stock everything else

i did squeeze a 245/40/17 on my 8" wide rims before on my bmw. any help is gladly appreciated.

You can use the 225s on the OE wheels, but with that added width, you're going to get more squirm and compliance in the ride (squidginess!)
You could compensate by increasing tire pressure, but that will increase road noise to the point where you can hear the tires quite literally ping over bumps.

The meaty look you're referring to varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, and compared what I've seen from autocrossing, those Star Specs don't look half as bad as I thought they would!

I'm getting a pair of Hoosiers mounted this weekend for an event--if my camera cooperates, I'll post some pics ;)

awesome thanks ^^^^ i may just go with 215/45's but i'll wait till i see what you got and if anyone else posts pics in my other thread

Back