2022 CX-9 Potential Purchase question

Hey everyone,

I’m going to look at this car tomorrow and potentially make the purchase. As experienced Mazda owners, is there anything stands out to you on this listing? I’ve been screwed over twice with my past two purchases from other brands. I know anything can go wrong with any used vehicle, luck just hasn’t been on my side.

Appreciate any insight you all provide!

Link to vehicle:

Last edited:
Proceed with caution. Don't love that it was a leased vehicle with that many miles for a 2022. Additionally, carfax seems a little sketchy with gaps and reconditioning done and many months sitting before eventually ending up at this dealer in VA when the car came from NY to start. I personally wouldn't touch a NY vehicle. I think it was neglected and shipped off out of state.

Carfax is also not that reliable. Need reports from multiple sources as well as your own PPI. Could be wrecked, flooded or stolen even though clean carfax. CPO really doesnt mean much. Dealers don't really do thorough inspections and will never disclose damages even if they knew they will just say they didnt know. That is up to the buyer to inspect before purchase.

Price is too high for a plain touring as well. They also have a $950 doc fee.

I'd pass

Last edited:
Vehicle was apparently driven around North Jersey and New York area....30k miles from 4/22 to 11/23. Lots of miles....was it used by a Lyft/Uber driver? Why would the vehicle need a "reconditioning" after 14 months? Then back to dealer after only 19 months? Then apparently kept by Nyack dealer and driven another 2k miles from 11/23 to 4/24. Then apparently sold at auction to the VA dealer. Now with third set of tires with only 32k? Too much going on here. You can find another one with a normal lease turn in history. Just remember, the Touring without the Touring Premium Package has no satellite radio capability. And agree, the $950 "processing fee" is high. Agree with above....pass.
Edit: I visited this Nyack dealer when shopping for ours....was not impressed.

No problem. Personally, I would look at 21s, Touring with the Touring Premium Package or Grand Touring models. Basically same vehicle but you'll appreciate the extra upgrades for the same money as a '22 without the extras. Should be plenty available as lease turn ins. Good luck and keep us posted.

No problem. Personally, I would look at 21s, Touring with the Touring Premium Package or Grand Touring models. Basically same vehicle but you'll appreciate the extra upgrades for the same money as a '22 without the extras. Should be plenty available as lease turn ins. Good luck and keep us posted.
I was thinking of 21s but after thorough research the whole oil consumption thing makes me nervous a bit. What’s your thoughts on non CPO under 3yr/36?

I'd avoid the 21's. The issue was resolved on the 22's. All the features of the grand touring are worth the extra $ as well. If you are under 3/36k miles and it is NOT a CPO vehicle then you can get a genuine MAZDA OEM new vehicle service contract aka "extended warranty" which will cover bumper to bumper like the factory warranty except for wear maintenance items. There are many terms to choose from depending on how many miles you drive a year. The cost of this is much less than you might think with the desls some dealers have given myself and other forum members and you can purchase it out of state by email or phone. Several of us here can give you names and numbers.

Thanks again for your perspective. Sent you a PM for some names and numbers for service contract info, if you don't mind.

I hear you regarding the oil issue on 21s but if I was buying another CX9 I'd still go with a CPO '21 with upgrades/extras and the 7 year 100k warranty. Especially one where the Carfax verifies normal oil changes and no abnormal usage. Any potential issues (who knows what the odds are but I'm guessing they are are very low) will be covered by the warranty up to 100K. If you don't have a problem by then, doubt you ever will. Most car guys will tell you to avoid extended service contracts and instead put the $2-3k into a mutual fund/savings account for potential future use.
Edit: This is still assumming OPs budget still allows a "base" '22 or an ugraded '21.

Last edited:
"They also have a $950 doc fee."

Robbery. Everything on a car purchase is negotiable except tax & license. Keep in mind the difference between wants and needs. We want a new car (and rarely actually need one that day.) The dealership needs to sell cars or the individuals lose their job or the store closes. Needs always trump wants. Would they let you walk out if everything else is agree upon except you won't pay more than, say, $100 for the job that should be paid out of their overhead expenses?

Dealerships talk about their front end and back end. Front end is buying the vehicle and its profit. Back end is everything swindled out of the customer by the finance crook. Too often the back end has more profit for the dealership owner than the front end, and the finance & insurance guy (F&I) guy, paid only on commission, is the highest profit generating individual for the owner.

Back