2022 CX-9: Factory Oil Fill Level vs Dipstick Reading

Z31

2022 CX-9 GS-L
Hello,

Curious on people's opinion on dipstick reading when full..

I have roughly 2000 kms (1200 mi), still on factory fill. I've noticed that when parked level, the oil level shown on dipstick is about 3/16-1/4" higher than the "full" dot.

I'm wondering if this has been observed? Whether the factory fill is a bit generous, or the dipstick is a bit inaccurate.

I won't truly know until I drain and measure; just curious of others experience.

I've noticed on my 1800km factory fill, it is also a bit over the max dot.

Reactions: Z31
How hot is the oil when measured?

The book calls for 5.1 quarts (if memory serves). This puts the level at about mid way between the two level marks on the dip stick. When I do an oil & filter change 5-1/2 quarts puts the cold oil level right at the upper mark. This works fine for me. In any case, the precise level is not important. Critically high is way above the high mark, in excess of 6 quarts. Critically low is well below the lower mark. At change in the oil level, at a consistent temperature, is important.

I've noticed on my 1800km factory fill, it is also a bit over the max dot.

How hot is the oil when measured?

The book calls for 5.1 quarts (if memory serves). This puts the level at about mid way between the two level marks on the dip stick. When I do an oil & filter change 5-1/2 quarts puts the cold oil level right at the upper mark. This works fine for me. In any case, the precise level is not important. Critically high is way above the high mark, in excess of 6 quarts. Critically low is well below the lower mark. At change in the oil level, at a consistent temperature, is important.

Not sure about oil temp, but engine coolant was up to temp, and mild ambient temp.

I'll try and find a full 5L jug when I do first oil change.. I'll start with the 4.8 L (5.1qt) and see where that puts me on the stick.

Maybe they're throwing a little more in there to prolong the time until low oil light comes on! :)

factory fill is just slightly above the high mark.
5 quarts gets you exactly at the middle between low and high, thats with the thailand made oil filter.

The consensus and my personal experience is 5.5 quarts to top hole with Japan filter, cold, read when doing an oil change with filter primed. It is 1 quart from bottom hole to top hole.

The consensus and my personal experience is 5.5 quarts to top hole with Japan filter, cold, read when doing an oil change with filter primed. It is 1 quart from bottom hole to top hole.

Wow, pretty much half a quart off spec page. More annoying than anything; having to buy that extra jug..

Good to know the dipstick is accurate though.

I bought a box of the Tokyo Roki filters, and have a 5L (5.2qt?) jug oil jug. Will see where that puts it on the stick, and will report back.

Just a follow up..

Just finished first oil change. 5L Supertech jug, with MIJ Tokyo Roki filter, and oil level (after drive, 5 min cool down) is 3/4 between the two dipstick dots.

The 4.8L called out on manual would probably put it smack dab in the middle. I would estimate that factory fill is 5.4 - 5.5L.

47A03FB7-A0BE-4D44-A3E4-630EDB68036D.jpeg

Good to know the dipstick is accurate though.
We don't know what (if anything) is accurate. We do know that 5 litres (5.28 quarts) or 5.1 to 5.5 quarts is good for reliable operation. If you have an engine that is one of the oil burners, keep the level at the high mark. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

Back