2022 CX-5?

I don't like the paint matched trim, but the front end changes have really grown on me. Although it only looks good with the black trim and grill IMO. I saw some photos with the optional fog lights, not sure what to think about them yet.

I was disappointed to see that poly metal grey won't be available with a turbo for 2022 models. Seriously considering trading in my 2020 for a 2022 with a turbo.

^ Would of loved this color too but doesn't look like it will be available in the US.

Is it just me, or does anyone else not like the plain fascia, especially the corners? There's something missing that would help it along, like fog lights, or vents, or something. The last picture of the white car looks particularly bad. All that white area on the corner needs some help.
Thoughts?
These are matters of taste.

I prefer the less-is-more look, clean, smooth, elegant. The slimmer plastic trim (color coded in the white posted on the previous page) that encircles the bottom of the vehicle is a further step in that direction. I've never been partial to white cars, but the black-on-red is sharp to my eye, though how well the glossy black edging resists scratching would be a concern.

Last edited by a moderator:
These are matters of taste.

I prefer the less-is-more look, clean, smooth, elegant.
Ya, it's definitely a personal thing. I like a busier look myself. Not over the top crazy like some of the latest Toyota front ends, but definitely more than just a big expanse of plane front fascia like on the white example. It needs more.
Maybe more like the Cadillac XT5 or Hyundai Tucson?

Ya, it's definitely a personal thing. I like a busier look myself. Not over the top crazy like some of the latest Toyota front ends, but definitely more than just a big expanse of plane front fascia like on the white example. It needs more.
Maybe more like the Cadillac XT5 or Hyundai Tucson?
Like I said, I wouldn't buy a white car so I'll leave that to you.

I was actually thinking of Hyundai when I read your post, a marque with a habit of adding eye candy, the new Tucson being no exception,

If you like the front end treatment you also have to take all the other gratuitous creases, bends and carve outs that go with it. These guys bring a chain saw to the clay modeling shop.

1643055796728.png

Mazda styling runs more along the lines of Porsche where the eye candy is kept to a minimum.

1643046927633.png

As for Toyota, I personally detest those gaping maw grills. It's as though they wanted something truly distinctive and more-is-more is all they could come up with. At least they got rid of that on the Highlander.

Attachments

• 1643046595386.png
    1643046595386.png
    187.4 KB · Views: 123
Like I said, I wouldn't buy a white car so I'll leave that to you.

I was actually thinking of Hyundai when I read your post, a marque with a habit of adding eye candy, the new Tucson being no exception,

If you like the front end treatment you also have to take all the other gratuitous creases, bends and carve outs that go with it. These guys bring a chain saw to the clay modeling shop.

As for Toyota, I personally detest those gaping maw grills. It's as though they wanted something truly distinctive and more-is-more is all they could come up with. At least they got rid of that on the Highlander.
I was using the white CX-5 pic as an example of what I didn't like. I'm the same with white as you. Never would I buy a white car.
I do like the Tucson front end, although the creases are a love it or hate it thing.
As for Toyota, OMG I hate those grills. It started with Lexus and cascaded down to Toyota. Awful awful.
I did notice though that a lot of cars are using the Mazda shaped grills more and more. I don't know how to post pics, but Cadillac almost looks like a Mazda up front. Same shape grill, especially the XT5. The CT4 looks like a Mazda 6.

I was using the white CX-5 pic as an example of what I didn't like. I'm the same with white as you. Never would I buy a white car.
I do like the Tucson front end, although the creases are a love it or hate it thing.
As for Toyota, OMG I hate those grills. It started with Lexus and cascaded down to Toyota. Awful awful.
I did notice though that a lot of cars are using the Mazda shaped grills more and more. I don't know how to post pics, but Cadillac almost looks like a Mazda up front. Same shape grill, especially the XT5. The CT4 looks like a Mazda 6.
The new Tuscon seems like a nice car, but where is the upgrade engine option? I was thinking they would release an N version with the 2.5T engine, but so far no dice. The engine they have in it is no better than the Mazda 2.5 which has been around forever.

The new Tuscon seems like a nice car, but where is the upgrade engine option? I was thinking they would release an N version with the 2.5T engine, but so far no dice. The engine they have in it is no better than the Mazda 2.5 which has been around forever.
The Tucson upgrade version is a hybrid mated to a 1.6L turbo and 6-speed AWD starting at $30,425 USD. CR's 0-60 test for the hybrid came in at 7.1 vs. 8.8 in the 2.5L. More importantly, for hustling up an entrance ramp, the 50-70 top gear time was 4.6 vs. 6.0 in the 2.5L. That 4.6 matches CDs time for the CX-5 Signature turbo.

If you like or can tolerate the sheet metal, the push button shifter and no volume knob (dunno what you do instead) it could be a viable option. 36-38 mpg might also be attractive. Of course you'd have to test drive it; whether that can be done without ordering one is a question.

While Hyundai has drastically improved reliability over the years, rated among the top brands in some quarters, this 2022 Tucson is a new generation, always an iffy proposition regardless who of the maker happens to be.

The Tucson upgrade version is a hybrid mated to a 1.6L turbo and 6-speed AWD starting at $30,425 USD. CR's 0-60 test for the hybrid came in at 7.1 vs. 8.8 in the 2.5L. More importantly, for hustling up an entrance ramp, the 50-70 top gear time was 4.6 vs. 6.0 in the 2.5L. That 4.6 matches CDs time for the CX-5 Signature turbo.

If you like or can tolerate the sheet metal, the push button shifter and no volume knob (dunno what you do instead) it could be a viable option. 36-38 mpg might also be attractive. Of course you'd have to test drive it; whether that can be done without ordering one is a question.

While Hyundai has drastically improved reliability over the years, rated among the top brands in some quarters, this 2022 Tucson is a new generation, always an iffy proposition regardless who of the maker happens to be.
There's also the plug in hybrid version that came out later. I was going to test drive one in comparison to the CX-5, but they were delayed a while. The idea of a totally new powertrain Hyundai scared me given their recent track record, so I didn't wait and ordered a CX5 instead. Also, I learned that it doesn't have a heat pump, so the plug in electric range is useless to me half the year.

There is a lot I like about the 2022 Tucson styling. The front grill and back looks really good to me. Not sure how well the aggressive lines will age though. The interior looks good as well but there was too much black gloss and touch buttons for my liking. The trim I test drove had a manual shifter and physical volume wheel.

Yeah the hybrid is not on my radar. Not a fan. I would much prefer the 2.5T they have in the stable.

Just got mine, a 22 with the select Pkg. I wanted the small wheels and no sunroof.
For $29K with AWD it's a fun and well built CUV.

Test drove the VW Tiguan but did not like the gearbox software. And the interior felt cheap in some places.

Attachments

• CX5.jpeg
    CX5.jpeg
    52.9 KB · Views: 179
Back