2022 CX-5?

Nice find! I think I like the changes from what I can see. They trimmed the "wings" off of the grille surround, changed the grille design, gave it a new front and rear bumper and updated the headlights and taillights. I'd love to see what the headlights and taillights look like with the parking lights on and with the low beams on.

As far as size, in the article, Google Translate says "Axle size, new car length 4575/1842/1685mm, wheelbase 2700mm". I think that means that overall length has increased by 25mm, the width remains the same at 1842mm, AWD unladen height has increased by 5mm, and the wheelbase has increased by 2mm. They also bumped the power for the 2.5 NA up to 196hp, and it looks like the WTLC (WLTP) tested fuel economy is either 7.05L/100km (33.4 mpg) or 7.15L/100km (32.9 mpg).

This is all assuming these numbers are official, which hasn't been confirmed yet.
I can't properly see the pictures however I don't like the new update. Front grill looks like an older CX3, headlights (DRL) seems to be very bmw-esque. Nice to see improvements on the NA 2.5 engine, however I don't see this as a good update design wise.

The pictures shown are from a CX-5 model of Chang-an Motor (partner of Mazda in China)
It is not uncommon for a local partner to modify exterior to suit local buyers.
US models could look different. Could be the same.

However, it does mean that 2022 will be just a facelift for CX-5.
Maybe more on interior update.

I don't like the changes I see in the pictures. :(

That is too many changes for one market. That is the refresh. The number of changes indicates a sale timeframe of at least several years.

That's pretty good fuel economy, depending on what 'WLTP' means.

Does the bump in hp affect the MPG?

Here's the pics for reference:

d70d-75f4299720a0cf5ee5d82110abd03d9e.jpg

a5c8-baaf412bd5c694918c5711a5398e71e5.jpg

499a-90b4e0373d75da26daac330e8cb9c69e.jpg

Note the third pic shows a model without the front facing radar emblem sensor, which became standard along with a price increase in 2020 for North American markets.

Personally, I don't think it looks bad, but it's not an improvement except for the removal of the yellow bulbs in the turn signal assembly, a change I made shortly after buying. I find the front end too simple - there's a balance between too simple and too busy, and I think it leans toward too simple. Also, the refreshed rear bumper has much smaller reflectors, a change I don't agree with.

Forum 101, Forum members always hate the first pictures of an updated model.
Not always. To my eye, if the CX-50 comes out looking like the pic l linked in post #39, that will be one beautiful vehicle. This pic of the CX-5 in white? Meh.

Not always. To my eye, if the CX-50 comes out looking like the pic l linked in post #39, that will be one beautiful vehicle. This pic of the CX-5 in white? Meh.
And that is why they make diferent cars, If the "CX-50" looks like that picture it will mean I am out of the Mazda camp because I find it hideous. I would take the white CX-5 10 times over it. We all like different things. But remember, slightly warmed over CX-5 is a 5 year old car with a few changes, it is not going to be dramatic or exciting.

slightly warmed over CX-5 is a 5 year old car with a few changes, it is not going to be dramatic or exciting.

Yeah, and honestly, right now, the CX-5 is selling like hot cakes - might hit close to 180K this year - which would be a record. Milk it for as long as you can before "replacing" it with something dramatically different or more expensive.

And that is why they make different cars, If the "CX-50" looks like that picture it will mean I am out of the Mazda camp because I find it hideous.
I was trying to figure out why the styling of CX-50 (as in post #39) impressed me as vaguely Italian. Then it hit me today--Alfa Stelvio. Obviously the noses are quite different with Alfa's signature grill, but in profile they share coupe like-styling ques.

The idea, I suppose, could be less about going after the BMW i3 and that ilk with a more boxy SUV look, or others that don't offer a RWD option, and instead offering a RWD coupe-like package a la the Stelvio without the reliability headaches and small sales and service network that combine for low Stelvio sales volumes.

It's interesting that the Stelvio is 5 1/2" longer than the CX-5, what the CX-50 is purported to be, while having less cargo capacity. Judging from that CX-50 picture, I would not be surprised if it too has less cargo room. A vehicle for driving, not a hauler for a small family that the CX-5 can be.

In short, Mazda may be going after what is perceived as an underserved niche. They've had success in the past in that way with the Miata.

Anyway, comparing to Stelvio or i3, you're probably looking at $43,000 to start with RWD, maybe a couple grand lower or more standard features to offer a better value proposition. Hot reviews from CR, et. al. would draw a lot of attention in that coupe-like, RWD, drivers car...err, I mean CUV... segment at a price point without a lot of competition.

Last edited by a moderator:
An additional pic showing another wheel style. Champagne is not the best looking color. A curious choice.

1631355556949.png

Metallic Silver or Red, among other colors, would look much better.

I was trying to figure out why the styling of CX-50 (as in post #39) impressed me as vaguely Italian. Then it hit me today--Alfa Stelvio. Obviously the noses are quite different with Alfa's signature grill, but in profile they share coupe like-styling ques.

The idea, I suppose, could be less about going after the BMW i3 and that ilk with a more boxy SUV look, or others that don't offer a RWD option, and instead offering a RWD coupe-like package a la the Stelvio without the reliability headaches and small sales and service network that combine for low Stelvio sales volumes.

It's interesting that the Stelvio is 5 1/2" longer than the CX-5, what the CX-50 is purported to be, while having less cargo capacity. Judging from that CX-50 picture, I would not be surprised if it too has less cargo room. A vehicle for driving, not a hauler for a small family that the CX-5 can be.

In short, Mazda may be going after what is perceived as an underserved niche. They've had success in the past in that way with the Miata.

Anyway, comparing to Stelvio or i3, you're probably looking at $43,000 to start with RWD, maybe a couple grand lower or more standard features to offer a better value proposition. Hot reviews from CR, et. al. would draw a lot of attention in that coupe-like, RWD, drivers car...err, I mean CUV... segment at a price point without a lot of competition.
All I see is Nissan in that rendering. I think if it looks anything like that I think it will be a missed opportunity. Not sure that Mazda can afford to spend so heavily for a (very small) Niche. A very polarizing look to be sure.

All I see is Nissan in that rendering. I think if it looks anything like that I think it will be a missee bd opportunity. Not sure that Mazda can afford to spend so heavily for a (very small) Niche. A very polarizing look to be sure.
I see little resemblance in that CX-50 interpretation to anything Nissan is punching out today. Of course aesthetics can be a matter of unending debate.

The consensus appears to be that the drive train will be a longitudinal inline-6 RWD set-up which is a niche. The fact Mazda has already stated they're going for a coupe-like appearance would be consistent with that engine and that rendering--that motor would require an elongated engine bay lending to the coupe-like appearance.

Whether that will be only 280 hp conventionally aspirated to start out, or they offer a turbo upgrade right out of the box. or they go whole hog with a more powerful turbo in base trim moving further up the food chain, seems to be a matter of debate. Whichever, if it's the novel spark-less gasoline design Mazda has discussed, that would make it quite esoteric.

As for development cost, we'll have to see how much of the Toyota joint venture goes into the vehicle or vice versa. Mazda's large architecture, besides going into the Mazda 6 when that gets re-released, there is speculation that it will be used in the Lexus IS. Hybridization and/or electrification and CVT at some point would be up Toyota's alley.

Whatever comes down with this "premium" and "coupe-like" design, as Mazda has put it, in comparison to CX-5 don't expect anything like the CX-3 vs. CX-30 comparison where the differentiation is far from striking, pretty minimal actually.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back