2021 CX-9 key fob back cover - cannot snap it back properly

:
CX-9 2021
Something very weird happens, the back cover on the key fob that stores the physical key just would not snap back on properly. I tried to open the new key fob spare, and could not put it back on either, it leaves a gap on one of the sides.

Stopped by the dealership, they claimed both of them are broken (!!!). Both need multi-hundred dollar replacements. What is the design here where opening these things once makes them broken?

Any suggestions here? Should not Mazda provide replacements for free given that the car is under warranty? This just screams to me like a defective design.

Yeah the key fob design could have been done better. I recently changed the battery on one fob and didn't find the experience pleasurable.

Anyway, you can grab a replacement fob from eBay such as https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned). Prices range from $45-80. It seems to come with circuit board but you can certainly transfer the current working one into it. Better than a few hundred bucks at the dealer.

Alright, there are several plastic clips on the cover. They are quite flexible, and seem to bend toward the cover. I used a screwdriver to lift them a bit, and then could slide the cover on the fob. Seems to fit now.

Alright, there are several plastic clips on the cover. They are quite flexible, and seem to bend toward the cover. I used a screwdriver to lift them a bit, and then could slide the cover on the fob. Seems to fit now.

Run from the dealership that told you that you needed new fobs. Do not go to them for ANYTHING other than recalls or warranty work.

Find another local dealer to assist you in the future, if possible.

Back