2021 CX-5 GT Recurring transmission issue

When the vehicle is cold (under 45 degrees outside temp) the transmission does a surge shift between 2 and 3 gear. Took it to dealer and they reprogrammed the transmission. Next winter had the same issue. Took back to dealer and they replaced the transmission. Now this winter have same thing again. Took back to dealer and they are saying it is normal for these transmissions. Does anyone else have this happen with their transmission?

Does it do it everytime betwen 2/3 when the temp is below 45deg?
What happens when you put it in Sport mode or you manually shift it? Does it still surge?

Upvote 0
Once the car warms up it stops. I haven't tried sport mode or manual shifting. I will try that. I haven't noticed a chirp but will listen for it.

Upvote 0
What was the mileage on the original AT when this happened? Do you know the mileage on the current AT?

it would be wise to change the transmission filter and fluid every 50,000 miles or so. If it's time, it would likely solve the issue. Is your fluid clean? since you've mentioned checking the level.

Upvote 0
Yes, what is the mileage?

Drain-n-refill ATF to see if this fixes the issue.
Cost: roughly $150-$200 at dealerships, depending on your location.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It does the same thing in sport mode and shifting manually. First reported problem to dealer at 7500 miles. Transmission replaced at 29600 miles. Currently 44000 miles. Fluids were just checked by the dealer. I have attached the dealers write-up after my last time taking it in for this problem. Not sure about the tire thing causing it to shift hard.

Attachments

• MazdaCX-5.pdf
    908.3 KB · Views: 60
Upvote 0
When the vehicle is cold (under 45 degrees outside temp) the transmission does a surge shift between 2 and 3 gear. Took it to dealer and they reprogrammed the transmission. Next winter had the same issue. Took back to dealer and they replaced the transmission. Now this winter have same thing again. Took back to dealer and they are saying it is normal for these transmissions. Does anyone else have this happen with their transmission?
I had this problem and the dealer replaced the gearbox in December. 3 weeks on the new gearbox is doing exactly the same thing. It only occurs when the car is cold and when the engine warms up it disappears so I have no idea what it is.

Upvote 0
When the fluid and filter is dirty, extra strain is placed on the solenoids. once the solenoid wears out, then it will start to shift funny. keep driving on that worn solenoid, and eventually the transmission itself will begin to see wear.

unless we are talking about a transmission with well over 50k miles on the original fluid and filter, this should not be happening unless individuals are hard on the car. EG. frequent hard acceleration or even frequent shifting from second to third will eventually lead to solenoid wear and jerky or surging shifting when cold.

BTW, the 6 speed auto in my 2015 Mazda 6 was doing this in cold weather before warming up at around 300,000KM. The fluid and filter has been changed four times. I did another drain and fill, which largely resolved the issue, although I have seen it happen again once it got cold outside once or twice.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all of the replies. What I'm hearing is that for basically 2 brand new transmission to do this is not normal and there is an issue somewhere. The dealer is telling me this is normal for all cx-5 and that the one he drives does the same thing. In my state I now have grounds to file a lemon law claim. Wonder if they are trying to keep me from filing a claim?

Upvote 0
Thanks for all of the replies. What I'm hearing is that for basically 2 brand new transmission to do this is not normal and there is an issue somewhere. The dealer is telling me this is normal for all cx-5 and that the one he drives does the same thing. In my state I now have grounds to file a lemon law claim. Wonder if they are trying to keep me from filing a claim?
This is nonsense. My 300k + auto is shifting rock solid it's entire life with nothing but standard maintenance. It's been abused before. It's seen extensive stop/go and city traffic. I expect it to last 600k with only standard maintenance. If you are an aggressive driver, or the trans was abused when new, there's your clue. Otherwise, it sounds like valve body or solenoid wear, and rare possibility of a defect.

That a transmission from a company like Mazda is "supposed" to do this, or that it's normal - nonsense.

Upvote 0
Back