2020 plastic smell in the cabin

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has this issue.

2020 CX9 signature turbo 4K miles. Noticed every time I push it to pass or get out of a situation instantly it starts to smell like burned plastic through the air vents...1 min later the smell is gone...Constantly driving on cc, no smell.

Took it to the dealer, 2 mechanics couldn’t find anything wrong with the car...Their opinion: It’s not “broken in” yet...Any thoughts?

Thanks

When you smell the burnt smell, is it while you're driving it hard or when you come to a stop afterwards? My car had a similar smell for awhile when it was new.

I would have to agree with the mechanic's line of though, the car is still very new and burnt smells are common when they are new. It's my understanding that new cars have an application of protective film that slowly burns off and if you are generating more than the usual amounts of heat, AKA pushing it, you are burning more of it off.

Hi, just when I’m stepping on it! The moment the needle hits 80 it starts to smell and 45 seconds later, it’s gone.
Hmm that is a bit different than what I was thinking it was. Have you tried switching the HVAC between recirculate and fresh air modes to see if you can still smell it?

I had a similar burning rubber smell noticed shortly after I purchased my 2019 which got me very concerned. This was around Thanksgiving and it came on with use of the heater/fan and only when the engine had already warmed up. I do not know if it came from the HVAC itself or if it was circulated in from the engine bay. The smell eventually stoppedd - reducing over the subsequent weeks then stopping altogether. Makes me wonder if it was an adhesive or something which released a plastic vapor when heated till cured?

I had a similar burning rubber smell noticed shortly after I purchased my 2019 which got me very concerned. This was around Thanksgiving and it came on with use of the heater/fan and only when the engine had already warmed up. I do not know if it came from the HVAC itself or if it was circulated in from the engine bay. The smell eventually stoppedd - reducing over the subsequent weeks then stopping altogether. Makes me wonder if it was an adhesive or something which released a plastic vapor when heated till cured?

It's a protective wax coating applied to engines on brand new vehicles since they're shipped via boat on the sea for few months...The wax coating just burns off over time thus the smell dissipates.

Back