2020 CX5 Press Release

Though there's no mention of it, I wonder if LED turn signals were added to any of the premium models.
My guess is not as it costs too much.

LED turn signals applied to CX-5 can only be happened when theres major re-design of headlights and tail lights.

I always downshift, at freeway exits where is going downhill, or when I really want to get going.

Yep, I always use my paddles in the CX-5 for downshifting for engine braking, or banging down a few gears before the corner. (wrc)

Saves brake wear also! (nana)

I think its going to be a tough year for the CX-5 with the Hybrid Rav4, Refreshed CR-V (and hybrid coming soon), and new Ford Escape.

I think its going to be a tough year for the CX-5 with the Hybrid Rav4, Refreshed CR-V (and hybrid coming soon), and new Ford Escape.

What is this refreshed CR-V you speak of? Didn't they just remove the 2.4 from the lowest trim and add a stop/start system? They have done nothing to solve the OD issue. The hybrid could be an interesting model, though. Mazda doesn't really compete with hybrids, so I'm not sure how many sales they will take away.

What is this refreshed CR-V you speak of? Didn't they just remove the 2.4 from the lowest trim and add a stop/start system? They have done nothing to solve the OD issue. The hybrid could be an interesting model, though. Mazda doesn't really compete with hybrids, so I'm not sure how many sales they will take away.

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/2020-honda-cr-v/2100007846/
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...-at-2019-los-angeles-auto-show-300957092.html

They updated the inside/outside a bit, in addition to the engine change and rolling out their safety sense to everyone. And honestly, I think the OD issues effects sales the same way Mazda CD issues effect ales... Not at all, or at least not enough to actually matter.

And I think its short sited to say Mazda doesn't compete with hybrids. It competes against every SUV in that class, and it sounds like the RAV4 Hybrid is selling very well.

Last edited:
The Rav4 hybrid is an excellent vehicle, if you don't mind wearing protective ear muffs at high speed.
Actually based on the YouTube the highway noise on RAV4 is not that bad. At 78 mph 2019 was tested about 72 dB and 2020 was about 68 dB on non-hybrid RAV4.

Yeah, the sound tube in the ND Miatas come to mind when I read that.

Yes, the MX-5 GT models had the sound enhancer. It's a rubber tube that runs from the intake system to the interior of the cabin through the firewall. It enhances the sucking sound of the intake. I removed mine the second day I owned the car.

According to feedback on the MX-5 Forum, most, if not all of the MX-5 owners have done the same thing. Ford actually has a digital recording of engine noise in the Mustangs.

Yep, I always use my paddles in the CX-5 for downshifting for engine braking, or banging down a few gears before the corner. (wrc)

Saves brake wear also! (nana)

I live in a very hilly curvy area and will sometimes get in touch with my manual-shifting Inner Redneck. Once my warranty expires, installing paddle shifters is on my short list, right behind an ECU tune. I had a beater 1990 Volvo 740 with floor shift and loved driving that thing around here.

If I still lived in Suburbia, I can see how they would be a waste.

Last edited:
Yes, the MX-5 GT models had the sound enhancer. It's a rubber tube that runs from the intake system to the interior of the cabin through the firewall. It enhances the sucking sound of the intake. I removed mine the second day I owned the car.

According to feedback on the MX-5 Forum, most, if not all of the MX-5 owners have done the same thing. Ford actually has a digital recording of engine noise in the Mustangs.

Why remove it? Was the sound that offensive? Hard to believe Mazda went to those lengths for a bad sound.

Why remove it? Was the sound that offensive? Hard to believe Mazda went to those lengths for a bad sound.

Back in the day, we would flip over the air cleaner cover for some "enhanced" sound. Maybe they're marketing to high school aged buyers, now. :)

Back in the day, we would flip over the air cleaner cover for some "enhanced" sound. Maybe they're marketing to high school aged buyers, now. :)

You ever have one of these on your bike?

vrroom1.jpg

That Mazda enhancer reminds me of Mattel.

It's about perception. People think they can feel 10hp (more like 2-5) when they install a K&N air filter...ever wonder how they suddenly go so absurdly sensitive to what amounts to several gallons of fuel-level?

Perception is HUGE.

Back