2020 CX-5 daytime running lamps (DRL) not working

:
Montreal
:
2020 CX-5 GS
Hello,

I'm a new member. I bought my used 2020 CX-5 GS about three weeks ago. I'm in Montreal, Canada.

Yesterday I noticed that the daytime running lamps weren't on (in Canada, these are a legal requirement). They were not illuminated for any of the headlight settings (off, auto, parking, on), regardless of whether the car was in drive, park or neutral; whether the emergency/parking brake was engaged; ignition on, engine on.

So I assume something has failed. The DRL relay is present, but I haven't tested it yet.

If the problem is with the DRLs themselves, I'd sure love to avoid paying thousands to have them replaced. Thankfully, the car is under the original comprehensive warranty until August 2023 (not that I'm eager to argue with the dealership about warranty work)

My question to the forum: I read about a DRL issue/recall on the 2016 model, but is this something that later years suffer from, too?

Thanks,
Sylvan

Just checking – are you aware that the headlights act as the DRLs for gen 2 CX-5s?

I suggest you have a read of this thread

https://mazdas247.com/forum/t/cx-5-headlight-stalk-choices.123879008/#post-6775266

specifically yrwei52’s post #7

I had been confused by this as well – because my wife had a 2016 CX-5, and on that model there was an LED halo of lights that acted as the DRLs.

But on your model, and my current 2021, the headlights act as the DRLs.

Hello,

I'm a new member. I bought my used 2020 CX-5 GS about three weeks ago. I'm in Montreal, Canada.

Yesterday I noticed that the daytime running lamps weren't on (in Canada, these are a legal requirement). They were not illuminated for any of the headlight settings (off, auto, parking, on), regardless of whether the car was in drive, park or neutral; whether the emergency/parking brake was engaged; ignition on, engine on.
Like Joebaba said above, if you see your low-beam headlights are on while driving, your DRLs are on.

So I assume something has failed. The DRL relay is present, but I haven't tested it yet.

If the problem is with the DRLs themselves, I'd sure love to avoid paying thousands to have them replaced. Thankfully, the car is under the original comprehensive warranty until August 2023 (not that I'm eager to argue with the dealership about warranty work)
If you don’t see any lights on, low beams、high beams、parking lights at front while driving, just take your CX-5 to your Mazda dealer for warranty service.

My question to the forum: I read about a DRL issue/recall on the 2016 model, but is this something that later years suffer from, too?

Thanks,
Sylvan
The DRL recall on the 2016 / 2016.5 CX-5 is because the LED Signature strips which serve as the DRLs are failing too soon. It has nothing to do with your problem.

Thank you, Joebaba and yrwei52. After your messages, I went out and actually drove the car around and saw the reflection of the DRLs (it was still light out). When I was puzzling over this earlier, I had put the car in drive with wheel chocks to hold it in place (in order to get out and see if they were on), but hadn't actually rolled forward. Since the early 1990s, I've seen DRLs that turn on as soon as you start the car. I've never seen a system like this until today.

All the best to you both,
Sylvan

Mazda smart control :)
It starts when you start to actually drive over 5mph or so. Sad that they didnt include proper drl led lights but it is what it is.

Back