2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature Ignition On Issue

mazdastx

I purchased a 2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature end of March and just two days ago (5/28/2019), my ignition doesn't turn on.

When I press the break pedal to hit the Start/Stop button, the button is in 'amber' color and the breaks feel really hard as if there is pressure built up.

Hitting the Start/Stop button only turns on the infotainment but nothing else. Central display doesn't show anything, A/C, windows don't go up/down.

Leaving it at this state and when I open the driver door, the car beeps and the central display shows "Ignition is On." When the door is closed, beeping and the notification goes away.

Roadside Assistance was called and the tow truck driver had to use a screwdriver to manually change the gear to "Neutral" in order to put it up on the truck bed. I asked the tow truck driver to try turning on the ignition while the car was on the tow truck bed and the car magically turned on.

I'm not sure if manually changing the gear to neutral released the break pressure so the ignition turned on or not.

The car was still towed to the service center. Anyone experience this and maybe know a solve?

It is definitely not the keyfob battery (tried that), not the car battery (tried that). Service center computers show that the car has no issues, everything is normal so the car thinks it is normal. Kind of scared to drive this car now since I might get stuck somewhere when I park.

Maybe wait and see, or if you are really uncomfortable, take it to your dealer. If they can't replicate it nor find a reason/fix, you probably want to try to narrow things down a bit....could be an ignition or a keyless system sensor issue, or even maybe something more random like radio interference just where your vehicle was parked that time.

I think it is key (ha) to note that you were able to put the car into accessory mode, but not actually start it. Were the car doors already unlocked that time, or did you have to unlock them, and that step worked?

If it happens again, look at the key indicator in the instrument cluster display and note the color and if it is flashing, or if it is missing entirely.

Take note if your car was already unlocked, or if you had to unlock it using the fob (or button on door) and if that step worked as expected.

Try the method of starting the car used if the fob battery is dead (pg 4-8 & 4-9 in the manual). I know you said the battery was checked, but this is just to test whether or not this backup start method works or not.

If that doesn't work, then try the force method of starting the car as described on pg 4-10.

And of course note if you are in the same place or same vicinity as the first time this happened. Not clear if this was at your home, in your garage, or while out somewhere. If the same place, might indicate some type of radio interference.

The results of these steps could help the dealer track down the actual cause.

Should have added--I haven't experienced this exact issue in my 2019 Signature, nor in my previous CX-5, or other Mazda Keyless system vehicles. I've had normal dead or weak fob battery issues, and my NC Miata had an odd quirk where the car would not start if the steering wheel was turned too sharply.

Last edited:
Ive had this happen as a fluke on a Toyota and BMW before. I chalked it up to some weird sequence of events and button pushes. Never happened twice on the same car.

I*ve had this happen as a fluke on a Toyota and BMW before. I chalked it up to some weird sequence of events and button pushes. Never happened twice on the same car.

Yes, twice within 48 hours and towed twice as well. I've never seen this happen before so this is surprising.

Maybe wait and see, or if you are really uncomfortable, take it to your dealer. If they can't replicate it nor find a reason/fix, you probably want to try to narrow things down a bit....could be an ignition or a keyless system sensor issue, or even maybe something more random like radio interference just where your vehicle was parked that time.

I think it is key (ha) to note that you were able to put the car into accessory mode, but not actually start it. Were the car doors already unlocked that time, or did you have to unlock them, and that step worked?

If it happens again, look at the key indicator in the instrument cluster display and note the color and if it is flashing, or if it is missing entirely.

Take note if your car was already unlocked, or if you had to unlock it using the fob (or button on door) and if that step worked as expected.

Try the method of starting the car used if the fob battery is dead (pg 4-8 & 4-9 in the manual). I know you said the battery was checked, but this is just to test whether or not this backup start method works or not.

If that doesn't work, then try the force method of starting the car as described on pg 4-10.

And of course note if you are in the same place or same vicinity as the first time this happened. Not clear if this was at your home, in your garage, or while out somewhere. If the same place, might indicate some type of radio interference.

The results of these steps could help the dealer track down the actual cause.

Should have added--I haven't experienced this exact issue in my 2019 Signature, nor in my previous CX-5, or other Mazda Keyless system vehicles. I've had normal dead or weak fob battery issues, and my NC Miata had an odd quirk where the car would not start if the steering wheel was turned too sharply.

Thank you for the response. The car doesn't even go to ACC mode. It only turns on the Infotainment screen (i.e. I can input navigation, radio works) but I can't roll down windows. It seems like whether the car doors were locked/unlocked via keyfob or the button on the door doesn't matter. I tried all combinations.

Instrument cluster shows nothing.

The car is currently at the service center. If it doesn't start again, I'll ask them to try to manually shift the gear into 'neutral' then turn on the car. I really think some sensor with breaks when the car is off is messed up.

Ah, didn't catch it wasn't fully in accessory mode, apologies. I hope it turns out to be something identifiable and easily fixed, and please do circle back and let us know what the outcome might be.

Thank you for the response. The car doesn't even go to ACC mode. It only turns on the Infotainment screen (i.e. I can input navigation, radio works) but I can't roll down windows. It seems like whether the car doors were locked/unlocked via keyfob or the button on the door doesn't matter. I tried all combinations.

Instrument cluster shows nothing.

The car is currently at the service center. If it doesn't start again, I'll ask them to try to manually shift the gear into 'neutral' then turn on the car. I really think some sensor with breaks when the car is off is messed up.

FYI, windows do NOT operate on ACC, only ignition ON. Royal pain in the butt.

Is it possible the shift wasn*t fully in Park? Maybe some movement to the shift lever would help.

Is it possible the shift wasn*t fully in Park? Maybe some movement to the shift lever would help.

Different car, but my Mom's mazda 3 has that issue.

Currently, we have to put the car into neutral to start it - the car will NOT start in Park. THere's sensors and other things that are at play here, so it could be the car wasn't fully in park.

I woudln't be surprised if that ended up being the case, or a faulty "Park" switch (I'm sorry, I'm not a mechanic or mechanically inclined so I'm not sure what it actually would be called lol)

I had something like this just happen on my 2019 sport........ never have driven a push button
start either..

Pulled into parking lot , put suv in park and hit the start button , but I think I hit the start button
twice and it put it in acc mode, which I didn't even know about ... the alarms went off when I opened door
and key light was flashing , start button was red I believe (color blind) closed door ... and tried to start with foot on brake but wouldn't start...... was pissed
opened door , closed it , hit the start button again, then tried to start again and it worked.........

I was ready to call towing also, but got home , did some reading and came across the acc mode ,and I think it was
just a accident on my part ... hitting button without foot on brake......

now I know .......

My guess is also on the Park gear sensor issue.
The car does not think it is in Park.
Hence, no starting, but info mode only.
Next time this happens, move the gear shifter a little and see if the Start/Stop button turns green (ready to start engine).

My guess is also on the Park gear sensor issue.
The car does not think it is in Park.
Hence, no starting, but info mode only.
Next time this happens, move the gear shifter a little and see if the Start/Stop button turns green (ready to start engine).

Yes, tried this and the gear shifter doesn't budge a bit. Tow truck driver also tried too.

I believe someone reported something similar with a pre-2016 CX-5 and it turned out to be a faulty brake switch (car won't start if it doesn't recognize brake pedal is engaged).

I believe someone reported something similar with a pre-2016 CX-5 and it turned out to be a faulty brake switch (car won't start if it doesn't recognize brake pedal is engaged).

I just went back to the service center to check. Car starts fine right now but it could lock up again. Service center says they need to replicate the problem to hook up their machines to look for an error code and then they can work on the car. Just waiting for car to not start again. (At least I have a loaner to drive around)

I just went back to the service center to check. Car starts fine right now but it could lock up again. Service center says they need to replicate the problem to hook up their machines to look for an error code and then they can work on the car. Just waiting for car to not start again. (At least I have a loaner to drive around)

Hope it doesn't happen again. Best of luck!

Other than the Park gear sensor, brake sensor is the other one.
Need both sensors to confirm to allow starting engine.

If it happens again try putting the ignition button in accessory mode and notice if the shift indicator light is on for the park position and have someone who can look to see if brake lights work. This could help pin it down to the problem area.

Hope it doesn't happen again. Best of luck!

Thank you! Dealer still has the car. Received a call today that they are test driving and checking everything that's on the "Mazda Service Bulletin" (?) I guess it's a list of potential issues with Mazda CX-5s from Mazda.

Back