2019 CX5 Grand Touring Reliability

:
2019 CX5 GT
My wife’s 2019 CX5 Grand Touring (with 17k miles) lease ends this Oct and she is considering a new one but I was looking at the numbers and there’s equity remaining. The buyout is $19K. I see used for $30k. Are the 2019’s reliable after 3yrs? What exactly is covered under the New-Vehicle Limited Warranty, 36 months or 36,000 miles? Should we be concerned about reliability? So far the car has been without any problems.

Thanks

IMHO, without question, you should 1000% buy that out at $19,000 and enjoy it for many years to come.

Seems to me, cars (All brands and really not only cars but many consumer goods) are becoming less reliable as the model years go on. Also, your '19 was made before the world fell apart so IMHO likely to have a better build quality and parts quality than a brand new 2022 vehicle.

2020 warranty booklet, but I doubt anything changed since 2019:

Attachments

• 2020-warranty-booklet.pdf
    161 KB · Views: 109
Door 1, 2 or 3 ?

Each one has a cost.

Current vehicle...you know whats wrong or not wrong with it. And how it's been maintained and driven. Powertrain warranty only 2 years remain.
Any cylinder head crack issues after will be at your $$$ after warranty.

Lease a new one. Leases are expensive and toploaded so your pretty much are paying for a new engine. But worryfree.

Buy new with new 5 year PT warranty. But new are going for approx $36,000.

Buy another used cpo mazda with 7 year PTO warranty. If get a 3 year cpo then have 4 years of PT coverage. Again, used going for $30000 which the extra $$ would equate to an engine fix.

If ya keep what ya have and nothing goes wrong then your ahead and if the head does crack, you can use all the money saved to fix it.

Door 1, 2 or 3 ?

Each one has a cost.

Current vehicle...you know whats wrong or not wrong with it. And how it's been maintained and driven. Powertrain warranty only 2 years remain.
Any cylinder head crack issues after will be at your $$$ after warranty.

Lease a new one. Leases are expensive and toploaded so your pretty much are paying for a new engine. But worryfree.

Buy new with new 5 year PT warranty. But new are going for approx $36,000.

Buy another used cpo mazda with 7 year PTO warranty. If get a 3 year cpo then have 4 years of PT coverage. Again, used going for $30000 which the extra $$ would equate to an engine fix.

If ya keep what ya have and nothing goes wrong then your ahead and if the head does crack, you can use all the money saved to fix it.
Leaning toward the option without, “buy” or “but”. ;)

Leaning toward the option without, “buy” or “but”. ;)
I guess that's the "keep what ya have" option, buying it at lease end for $19k. Not a bad way to go especially given what a replacement would cost. You could always buy an extended service contract for peace of mind but that's not something I ever do nor would recommend.

This is easy, buy the lease. You said yourself the car is worth much more than the buyout.

As for reliability, compare this forum to a Subaru Outback forum and a Honda CR-V forum. Which vehicles have more problems or complaints? I think this is informative.

Last edited:
I want a new car. Mine is paid off. I could get a ton for mine now and offset the increase...
But.

Starting in 2013 or so, Mazda reliability started to rise. And rise. And rise. Even as they got more complicated, the reliability kept going up. I absolutely disagree with my fellow Ohioan, HyFlyer. I think all cars across the board are getting even more reliable. My 16 should NOT be as reliable as it is. I haven't even replaced the freaking batteries in the FOB YET! HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?
2016. 55K. Replaced rotors and pads. That's it. I'm going to get a new car battery this winter... just be on the safe side... I don't need to. It's 7 years old! Insane.

Just look at this board. How many complaints are there about serious issues?
Uh... OK I might have to walk that back after looking at the CRV forum posted earlier. WOW! Even factoring in they sell MORE THEN TWICE as many CRV then Mazda sells CX5 that's ... wow. A lot of issues being reported there just looking at the stickies!
OK, let me change that to....
"I think MOST cars across the board are getting even more reliable. "

I vote to keep.

Keep is probably the best option. But ya gotta crunch the numbers.

I would never lease a car but for those who have, compare

1.) Amt paid to date on lease + buyout to keep + approx $3000 for a 4-5 year extended PTO warranty.
2. Amt paid to date on lease + total price of new mazda(5 year PTO) with trade-in of lease.
3. Amt pd to date on lease + total price of a 3 year old cpo mazda(7 year PTO warranty) with trade in of lease.

This should give you an apples to apples comparison of mazda with approx. 4 to 5 years of warranty remaining. Which would be my priority due to the engine and coolant leaks issues. You get great safety rated car plus long enough warranty to cover any major engine damage.
By the 7 year/100 k mark, if the engine hasn't had any problems and well maintained then it should be ok for a few more after that.

Just look at this board. How many complaints are there about serious issues?
Uh... OK I might have to walk that back after looking at the CRV forum posted earlier. WOW! Even factoring in they sell MORE THEN TWICE as many CRV then Mazda sells CX5 that's ... wow. A lot of issues being reported there just looking at the stickies!

It's wild. The threads here are mostly certain noises reported, questions about maintenance, aesthetics, paint questions. Over there it's megathreads on oil dilution, electrical issues, air conditioning broken... the list goes on. Actually, most of the threads are issues!

It's wild. The threads here are mostly certain noises reported, questions about maintenance, aesthetics, paint questions. Over there it's megathreads on oil dilution, electrical issues, air conditioning broken... the list goes on. Actually, most of the threads are issues!

Keep in mind I tried asking about the oil dilution issue on newer CR-Vs on that forum, and one of the admins edited my message and took out that part of my question, saying it broke some forum rule. My understanding is they solved the oil dilution problem for the '19 model year.

Keep in mind I tried asking about the oil dilution issue on newer CR-Vs on that forum, and one of the admins edited my message and took out that part of my question, saying it broke some forum rule. My understanding is they solved the oil dilution problem for the '19 model year.
So your not allowed to ask valid question?

So your not allowed to ask valid question?
i think it's that the question has been asked a lot on there, and also answered a lot. one of his posts on the thread about oil dilution states repeatedly that the problem has been solved and people keep posting misleading comments about the issue. the admin is actually a nice guy on the forums, usually, but he is strict about rules and locking down threads.

Latest posts

Back