2018 CX-9 Signature Instrumentation Panel Connection Malfunction

mbaylor

:
2018 CX-9 Signature
Just wanted to share with you all the pain I am going through with Mazda right now. My new 2018 CX-9 Signature has been in the shop 3 times for an issue with the instrumentation panel losing connectivity with the computer.

I get all sorts of weird errors when this happens, including the latest issue with power steering not working and hazards not working at all.

The dealership has re-soldered some wires at Mazda technicians' requests, which has fixed other brand new vehicles with the same exact issue (I wonder how widespread this is?). Mine is "the only one that has come back to the dealership after this 'fix'" Dealership has been very friendly, but at what point does the lemon law come into play (I'm in WI).

I am attaching a video to show you the shenanigans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9ufp7dKx2U

In New York it is the same issue 3 times and they cannot fix it you can get your money back lemon law. I would make sure that each invoice that you receive from them states that it is the exact same problem each time. I would not wait. I would get my money back or get a new one. The law in new york is 18 months i don't know about wisconsin.

In New York it is the same issue 3 times and they cannot fix it you can get your money back lemon law. I would make sure that each invoice that you receive from them states that it is the exact same problem each time. I would not wait. I would get my money back or get a new one. The law in new york is 18 months i don't know about wisconsin.

Here's the NY Lemon Law fact sheet:

https://ag.ny.gov/consumer-frauds/new-car-lemon-law-fact-sheet

Cars covered by the law include any car that:

Was covered by a warranty at original delivery; AND
Was purchased, leased or transferred within the earlier of 18,000 miles or two years from the date of original delivery; AND
Was either purchased, leased or transferred in New York State or is presently registered in the state; AND
Is used primarily for personal purposes.

Duty to Repair:

A reasonable chance for a manufacturer or its authorized agent to repair a problem for a new car is considered to be:

Four or more attempts to repair and the problem continues to exist; OR
The car is out of service by reason of repair of one or more problems for a cumulative total of 30 days or more.

Exceptions when manufacturers may not be required to provide a refund or replacement:

The problem does not substantially impair the value of the car to the consumer; OR
The problem is a result of abuse, neglect or unauthorized alteration of the car.

I'm sure Wisconsin has info on their lemon law.

First time I've seen anything like this. Wierd for that to show up on the 3rd model year. Not a design problem, but an assembly line scew up.

http://wisconsindot.gov/Documents/dmv/shared/lemonlawafter.pdf

Reader's Digest Version:
A "lemon" is a new vehicle that has a "serious defect" the manufacturer/dealer didn't (couldn't) fix in four tries or a vehicle that has one or more defects that prevent you from using it for 30 days or more (the 30 days need not be consecutive). A "serious defect" is a defect that seriously affects the use, value, orsafety of the new vehicle, and the defect must be covered by the warranty.

Sorry to hear about this. Please keep us posted and never seen this in previous posts. The dealer should replace your car immediately!

You are not the only one. It happened to me too. Here is my post: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...wed-twice-to-the-dealer&p=6585712#post6585712

I am towing my car again to the dealership today. To be honest, I don't want this POS anymore.

While this is really an unacceptable problem with a couple of CX-9's (these are the only 2 reported on the internet on a vehicle out for 3 years), the CX-9 is the opposite of a POS. I get that you feel that way though.

Unfortunately, new cars are far from guaranteed to have big problems. As an example, more new cars than you think need new transmissions in the first month or two of ownership from the most reliable brands. That's much worse than a couple of loose wires.

If you or your wife chose the CX-9 after careful consideration over the competition, I'd give it a chance. If you can get a new one, then good for you, it will likely be perfect like most of them are.

I used to work with big dealerships that carry most of the popular brands and problems like these are more common than you would think on new cars. But it happens a lot more with cars from the big three and it is kind of funny because some of the customers kind of accept the fact that these cars are not perfect. I have seen quite a few FCA and GM products requiring entire engine replacements or nightmare electrical problems and I can’t even count the numbers of critical safety recalls issued. where as if someone with a Toyota or another Japanese brand had a similar problem they would be dumbfounded as to how could this be possible.

I wouldn’t condemn the CX-9 because you had one bad one but I would demand an exchange of another one. I’ve seen some other members on here with problematic units get taken care of by Mazda corporate so I would see what kind of solution they give if I were you.

Guys, I admire your loyalty to the brand and a car. I am the same way with BMW, which I drive. So I get it.

I like the CX-9. Even though, I feel that it is under-powered and the technology aspect could be a little polished, I do like the craftsmanship and the quality of materials used. That is what influenced our decision to purchase CX9.

I am sad that this happened. My wife doesn't want the car or another CX-9. She got burned twice already. At 4 foot 11 inches, working in a really bad area (she is a public school teacher), having a car that can just shut down on her is not something that we want. Period. Once, ok fine... we been there. They "fixed" the problem. Twice? Unacceptable.

I guess my POS comment was directed towards our CX-9. We don't want it.

I am not going to accept this just because other manufacturers had problems with transmissions or whatever it might be. I bought a Mazda, not other manufacturer, so whatever problems they have, it is not an excuse for Mazda.

Last edited:
Guys, I admire your loyalty to the brand and a car. I am the same way with BMW, which I drive. So I get it.

I like the CX-9. Even though, I feel that it is under-powered and the technology aspect could be a little polished, I do like the craftsmanship and the quality of materials used. That is what influenced our decision to purchase CX9.

I am sad that this happened. My wife doesn't want the car or another CX-9. She got burned twice already. At 4 foot 11 inches, working in a really bad area (she is a public school teacher), having a car that can just shut down on her is not something that we want. Period. Once, ok fine... we been there. They "fixed" the problem. Twice? Unacceptable.

I am not going to accept this just because other manufacturers had problems with transmissions or whatever it might be. I bought a Mazda, not other manufacturer, so whatever problems they have, it is not an excuse for Mazda.

Yeah, you might have gotten a lemon. This is a place to get stuff off your chest but make sure to really let Mazda NA know about your issue and how the local dealership is not fixing the problem. Then trade it in on another car. You will take a loss but the peace of mind is more important.

Then trade it in on another car. You will take a loss but the peace of mind is more important.

I do not plan on trading it in. I plan on returning the car and receiving full refund. We had the car for not even 2 months with 2 weeks of it at the shop. I should not take a loss on this.

I do not plan on trading it in. I plan on returning the car and receiving full refund. We had the car for not even 2 months with 2 weeks of it at the shop. I should not take a loss on this.

Can you do that? I have never heard of a system where you could actually return a car. Or is this basically the lemon law?

Can you do that? I have never heard of a system where you could actually return a car. Or is this basically the lemon law?

Lemon law. You have rights as a consumer.

Bottom line is, we had to tow the car twice to the dealer. We had it for less than 2 months. Not only that, the car just shuts down. First time, my wife was in the middle of a busy freeway... in the middle of rush hour...the kicker? You can't turn on the hazards with this defect. In-fact, you can't do s***....nothing works... the car is in a limbo. You can't even shut it off and lock the car and leave. You have to wait for it.

I do not want my wife to drive something like this.

You shouldn't "accept it". The point is that every make and every model can have a one-off vehicle that has problems that can't be solved; especially in today's modern age where your entire car is run by computers. This is why Lemon Laws exist. Logically speaking, it shouldn't be a reason to swear off an entire brand; however, owning a car can be as much emotional as it is logical, and I can understand not wanting another CX-9 to replace this one.

Best of luck in your ordeal.

Each state's Lemon Law is different. The car owner needs to look at the details in their state. Sometimes that can be upsetting. In my state, for example, only cars bought in the state are covered by the Lemon Law. Buyers in a region near the state line can buy it anywhere, pay all the taxes at home, and still not be covered (certainly nothing to do with the fact that the car dealers' association makes big campaign contributions). This detail doesn't seem to apply to the car problems posted here, it's just an example of how the fine print can bite one. Check your own state's law. And, get into contact with Mazda North America. They have the clout, not the dealership.

Just a heads up for everyone. I do not know all of the details, but there is about a 1.5 month time period of CX-9s that came off the line with this issue. Mazda is replacing any affected vehicles, including mine.

Just a heads up for everyone. I do not know all of the details, but there is about a 1.5 month time period of CX-9s that came off the line with this issue. Mazda is replacing any affected vehicles, including mine.

What is the build date of your 2018? Sticker is on the drivers side of the door frame.

I unfortunately do not have access to the vehicle at this time. When I transfer my things over to the new vehicle, I will try and get a peek for you.

Back