2017 Mazda CX-5 drops BT calls and screen rebooting

Our 2017 CX-5 still has the original software 59.00.502 NA N from when we bought the car new. This problem started occurring a few months ago, but is now getting worse. Could it just need OS update? If so, could someone help with where to locate the latest update?

update: Already tried removing and cleaning the nav card, but problem still occurs randomly.

Last edited:
I know that lots of people have had their vehicle's OS updated and that this has seemingly taken care of the issues that they were having. I have two Mazdas, both are 2016's (CX is 2016.5) and both still are using the original firmware.

I have zero problems with the infotainment systems, zero.

YMMV

BT call drops does not seem related to SD card per se.
Did it happen to other cell phone also?
You can start cross-checking to narrow down possible causes.

BT call drops does not seem related to SD card per se.
Did it happen to other cell phone also?
You can start cross-checking to narrow down possible causes.

I agree, the card should have nothing to do with BT calls.

BUT, if the system boots from data it receives from the card, and that data has somehow been corrupted, it could create an instable environment and cause issues in seemingly unrelated areas.

Grasping at straws here? Yes, I am. Since I don't know for sure I'm just throwing ideas out there. It could help.

YMMV

Did a little more checking on this and it's not actually dropping the BT call or hanging up, but the call stops working on the speakerphone in the car. At the same time the screen blanks out or the radio comes back on the speakers. Could this still be a card issue or would it need a software update.

Did a little more checking on this and it's not actually dropping the BT call or hanging up, but the call stops working on the speakerphone in the car. At the same time the screen blanks out or the radio comes back on the speakers. Could this still be a card issue or would it need a software update.
Try the easy fix first. Remove the card and see how the system behaves. Clean the card contacts as I suggested and test again w/card inserted.

Okay, did a little more troubleshooting on this. Took a while since it's my wife's car and not the car I drive that often.
Pulled the card and the problem seemed to go away. cleaned the card contact with an electronics contact cleaner, and reinserted the card. I ejected the card and reinserted a few times to clean the internal contacts too. Problem came back within 5 min. The system started randomly resetting back to the Mazda logo and radio play would resume. Shut the car off and pulled the card again. No problem with the display or radio for 2 days with the card pulled.
The maps have never been updated, so went and downloaded the Mazda toolkit and maps date is from 2015. It won't let me update the card without paying for the update.

If the card is at fault, would cloning the current card fix the problem? I say replacement cards on Amazon and ebay for around $30-40, but not sure if those will work of not.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to the software update, so I can try that too or is this a card issue?

I was also considering installing Apple CarPlay for her like I did on my 2016 CX-9, but think that would also need a software update.

Thanks for all the comments so far, and for any future help with this issue. Really appreciate it.

Last edited:
My daughter's 2016 CX5 has been behaving like you reference. I have ordered a new card to see if that will fix. Also ordered a carplay retrofit kit. I don't have the FW version yet as she is away at school. Hopefully will figure out next week.

My daughter's 2016 CX5 has been behaving like you reference. I have ordered a new card to see if that will fix. Also ordered a carplay retrofit kit. I don't have the FW version yet as she is away at school. Hopefully will figure out next week.
Let us know how you make out. I have the same issues and looking for a fix. Dealer wants $150 just to look at it!

Let us know how you make out. I have the same issues and looking for a fix. Dealer wants $150 just to look at it!
After going back and forth with cleaning the card contacts and reinserting, I just pulled the card and everything worked okay. No more screen resetting or Bluetooth calls dropping out and then coming back after the screen came back on. Did this for a few weeks and the only issue was no navigation due to the card being pulled.

I ended up buying a replacement card from Amazon for like $35 with 2022 Maps on it and tried that. So far after about 2 weeks now it's working great! No issues with rebooting or calls dropping, so the card had to be the issue.

FYI: Maps on the original card were from 2015 4thQ and the Mazda toolkit program said no other updates were available. The toolkit program also said there were no issues with the card when I ran a diagnostics.

Mazda is not good at BT and AA/CP. My BT podcasts will stop for no reason. And if you select FM or other audio source, the BT is still connected but won't play map directions if you use maps on your phone. No audio will play on my phone unless I turn off BT.

Mazda is not good at BT and AA/CP. My BT podcasts will stop for no reason. And if you select FM or other audio source, the BT is still connected but won't play map directions if you use maps on your phone. No audio will play on my phone unless I turn off BT.
I had an issue like that on my CX-9 with android auto. I deleted it from my phone and reinstalled and updated and now works much better. Waze just reboots now every so often.

Watch out.
Some SD cards on Amazon have 2019Q3 map data on them.
Make sure you ask the seller to confirm.
I bought 3 in the past few months. They all came with 2019Q3 map data.
There is a 2021Q2 version and a 2023Q1 version out there.

Back