2016 vs 2017 CX-5 Differences?

avi1777

16.5 2.5awd
Looking for people who had the previous awd gen that own the new one.

My question is mainly about the sound deadening and overall comfort. Is it a big difference, one that makes it worth buying the new one or is it negligible?

Thanks a lot.

We have both 2014 & 2019. The technology, safety & audio system is much better in the new car and it is definitely quieter and more solid-feeling. Overall more luxurious. Handling is the same, but the new cars are heavier and so the fuel consumption a little worse.

Only you can make the call on whether a newer car is worth the extra cash, though

We have a 16 Touring and a 19 GTR. There's light years difference between the two. The 19 is orders of magnitude quieter than the 16. Although the 19 may be a little heavier they're both getting roughly the same mpg. The 19 is comfortable and the interior is more luxurious.

16.5 touring / '19 C5D signature here. No comparison between the two for quietness / smoothness. As wlong01 said ... light years difference for sound deadening and softer ride. I feel the 16.5 is a more connected driving experience but the 19 is waaaaay more plush-er-er :)

I've owned both a 16 and own a 17 now. The 17 is definitely the better vehicle. Much quieter on the highway, the interior is better and the ride is more luxury. The 16 had more "zoom zoom" to it but I prefer the 17 much more.

As others have said, Gen 2 (2017- ) is much quieter than Gen 1. Mazda aimed to make it as quiet as luxury competitors. The front side windows in the 2017+ are laminated acoustic glass (which also provides UV protection) rather than standard tempered glass.

There are also subtle but important styling changes that IMO make Gen 2 look a lot nicer. Differences aren't huge, but the subtle changes in design add up to a nicer looking vehicle.

There are also subtle but important styling changes that IMO make Gen 2 look a lot nicer. Differences aren't huge, but the subtle changes in design add up to a nicer looking vehicle.
Good point. The front of the new car looks MUCH nicer than the old, although I find I prefer the rear of the old car, and the flanks of the Gen1 are more sculpted and the Gen2 more generic.

yes I noticed the side glass is thin,I added rubber seal to all the doors the z and d type ex and noticed the glass brings a lot of noise in,also the fire wall a wheel arches btw.ot will cost around 3k to seal the car properly.
I cant trade my 16.5 to the 17 beacuse there's only the 2000 available so I'll have to sell mine and then buy the new one.no rush tho I have for a year it has 30k miles,its being maintained like a Bentley and honestly I love it,its been good to me.
I'll wait till there is a trade option then I'll make the move to the 17.

yes it did but u can go mad once stating beacuse now u can hear many noises from the inside u didnt hear before like rattles and squeaks,im happy with the result it did made a difference especially from the lower part of the vehicle up until the door glass line.

Looking for people who had the previous awd gen that own the new one.

My question is mainly about the sound deadening and overall comfort. Is it a big difference, one that makes it worth buying the new one or is it negligible?

Thanks a lot.
It literally might as well be another car from another manufacturer, with the massive improvement in refinement that has been made. Massive difference.

Back