2016 Signature Snowflake White Pearl paint chipping way too easy

:
2016 CX-9 Signature
Anyone else with a 2016 CX-9 having issues with the paint chipping way too easy for your taste ? We had(well still have) our Ford Explorer for 10 years without a single paint chip. The 2016 CX-9 we've had now for about 6-7 weeks has a number of chips in the paint. Thank god I put a 3M clear bra on the front. First let me say the paint looks great. We buy all of our vehicles in white. I have a white Chrysler 300 SRT8 with the option tri-coat pearl white(or whatever they call it), and its a crap pain job where you see imperfections all over the place, our CX-9 Snowflake White Pearl on the other hand looks great without a single imperfection so the quality is very good from that standpoint but man, it appears to be chipping way too easy. Was just curious if others have found similar issue. Obviously on white, the chips stand out, at least when I wash and wax it. I've claybar'd the car so these are indeed chips and not just road grime that looks like a small chip.

R.

Always driving down Houston freeway and I can always hear my hood and windshield getting hits all the time. Dirty Houston freeway.. Anyway, no chips until a day ago and this time it left a tiny dot on my hood. I knew that left a mark since me and my wife was able to hear it from the inside cabin even with the loud music on.

I notice that also. I even have a Diamond Kote on it. I have two paint "problems" already. I have the same CX-9 GS 2016 with Snowflake White Pearl color.

I will be taking a long trip soon and am concerned about the paint. I contacted CoverCraft on the availability of their bra for the 2016 CX9, but they responded "it looks like that we do not make a Bra for this car but the designers have put it on their to do list. This can take 3 to 6 months to get done."

Does anyone on the forum have ideas on how to protect the paint until the bra becomes available??

I will be taking a long trip soon and am concerned about the paint. I contacted CoverCraft on the availability of their bra for the 2016 CX9, but they responded "it looks like that we do not make a Bra for this car but the designers have put it on their to do list. This can take 3 to 6 months to get done."

Does anyone on the forum have ideas on how to protect the paint until the bra becomes available??

Hey all, I did notice a small paint chip on mine, not sure where it came from but it was on my rear passenger. I have already installed a full front clear bra, made by suntek. Installer said they already had outlines made for the cx9

Thanks for the info. I was trying to avoid the clear-film approach after reading some of the pros/cons here. http://www.drbeasleys.com/blog/2012/03/10/pros-and-cons-of-clear-bra-paint-protection-film/. It is frustrating that the after market accessories for the CX-9 take so long to become available.

I've had a 3M Clear Bra on my 2012 Chrysler 300 for the past 4 years and its been fantastic. Most of my commutes are highway and then through the city of Boston on my way to the airport once or twice a week. My prior BMW front end got to beat to hell by on the small road debris that got spit around due to constant construction in Boston. My 300 front and hood looks brand new so the first thing I did with my wife's CX-9 was go back to the same installer and had the same 3M Clear Bra put on the 9 within our first week of having it. Unfortunately the rear bumper got a small chip when a folding chair barley touched it and another couple of small chips in the passenger door. More than likely from road debris given where it is. I was a little disappointed with both. Hopefully its just a case of bad luck, but our old Ford Explorer paint is definitely much more resilient. Kudo for the 3M brand Clear Bra through, I'll never have a vehicle without it ever again.

R.

Are those easy to install or you guys had it done professionally?

I had both our of vehicles done professionally at Protection Plus in Shrewsbury, MA. , off hand I think I paid $640. Based on how well the install was on my Chrysler 300 I'd also say it was worth every penny. The film on my Chrysler is over 4 years old and it doesn't have a curling edge or any imperfections anywhere. The install covers the entire front end about and the a foot and a half of the hood as well as some of the front quarter panels. The door side mirrors are also covered.

R

Find a shop that does the 3M clear bra. My dealer (Cardiale Way in Mesa, AZ) had a shop right on sight that installed mine. He did the deluxe that includes the mirrors, fingernail shields under the door handles and door edges. Of course, that doesn't prevent the windshield chips which occur way too much in AZ.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am warming-up to the clear-bra idea for my new CX-9. For others interested, here is a nice view of the various CX-9 pre-cut patterns (bumper, fender, etc.)

SunTek patterns. https://suntektrucut.blob.core.wind...Images/2016-2016~MAZDA~CX-9_GRAND_TOURING.JPG

Xpel patterns http://www.xpel.com/paint-protectio...d_Light_Trucks/2016/Mazda/CX-9/Grand_Touring/

3M patterns: http://www.clearbra-kits.com/store/...SubsubModel=-1&nSubSubsubModel=null&maincat=3

I was told that SunTek had a self-healing property and was superior to 3M and Xpel films. Anyone have an opinion on SunTek?

Last edited:
I have the Jet Black paint and I can say that after just a few months of driving I have over 10 nicks in the paint from rocks and debris. I'm very disappointed in the toughness of the paint and the gray under coating is very visible.
I wish there were something that could be done to harden the surface...

This is an ongoing discussion on MANY car forums ... regardless of brand or model.
Most complain of "soft" paint.
If it was soft, it would give with impact from debris and may show an indentation, but not chip.
According to a friend who recently sold his body shop, the paint is so hard that it fails to flex with impact and chips instead.

I've personally observed paint chipping on former Mazdas, Subarus, BMWs, and Porsches.

As a consequence, I've chosen to have full-front Xpel film immediately installed on each new car purchased in recent years.
The film maintains the "factory shine" and DOES give with debris impact.
Minor indentations or scratches are "self-healing" with exposure to a hot, sunlit day or having hot water poured over the surface.
Major impacts WILL damage the film in a noticeable manner, but the underlying paint remains intact.
If a repair is wanted, it's much cheaper to replace a piece of film than repaint the affected panel.

Xpel offers a 10-year warranty against yellowing or other defect.
This includes installation. (One one car, they replaced a area of film that was lifting on one edge without question.)
Note that impact damage is NOT a warranty item.

The front of my CX-9 was protected shortly after purchase and it STILL looks great 6,000 miles and several long road trips later.

This is an ongoing discussion on MANY car forums ... regardless of brand or model.
Most complain of "soft" paint.
If it was soft, it would give with impact from debris and may show an indentation, but not chip.
According to a friend who recently sold his body shop, the paint is so hard that it fails to flex with impact and chips instead.

I've personally observed paint chipping on former Mazdas, Subarus, BMWs, and Porsches.

As a consequence, I've chosen to have full-front Xpel film immediately installed on each new car purchased in recent years.
The film maintains the "factory shine" and DOES give with debris impact.
Minor indentations or scratches are "self-healing" with exposure to a hot, sunlit day or having hot water poured over the surface.
Major impacts WILL damage the film in a noticeable manner, but the underlying paint remains intact.
If a repair is wanted, it's much cheaper to replace a piece of film than repaint the affected panel.

Xpel offers a 10-year warranty against yellowing or other defect.
This includes installation. (One one car, they replaced a area of film that was lifting on one edge without question.)
Note that impact damage is NOT a warranty item.

The front of my CX-9 was protected shortly after purchase and it STILL looks great 6,000 miles and several long road trips later.

Can you share how much it cost you for a full front Xpel installation?

I use the factory Xpel store in my location, so they are a bit higher than some.
There are also independent installers who have undergone training to do a quality job.

My suggestion is to research the various installers in your area to discover who does the most professional work.
You might inquire of your local Porsche or BMW club about who THEY recommend.
Some installers may also recommend a different brand of film ... though I always choose Xpel due to the longer warranty and outstanding workmanship by their installer.
(I first discovered Xpel when researching films for an incoming Porsche.)

With all the prelude, full front installation of Xpel's "Ultimate" (best-quality) film could range from a low around $1,800 to as much as $2,400.
As a "frequent flier" who has recommended many clients, I get a discount ... but the keys to me are using the best quality film with the most skillful installation.

Best of luck in your research.

I use the factory Xpel store in my location, so they are a bit higher than some.
There are also independent installers who have undergone training to do a quality job.

My suggestion is to research the various installers in your area to discover who does the most professional work.
You might inquire of your local Porsche or BMW club about who THEY recommend.
Some installers may also recommend a different brand of film ... though I always choose Xpel due to the longer warranty and outstanding workmanship by their installer.
(I first discovered Xpel when researching films for an incoming Porsche.)

With all the prelude, full front installation of Xpel's "Ultimate" (best-quality) film could range from a low around $1,800 to as much as $2,400.
As a "frequent flier" who has recommended many clients, I get a discount ... but the keys to me are using the best quality film with the most skillful installation.

Best of luck in your research.

Thanks for the info. I checked for installers at Xpel's website and the first one gave me a quote of $1900 for full hood, etc. I'm gonna shop around some more.

My 2016 in Deep Crystal Blue seems to be picking up chips and pits more than my 2012 CX6 did.

I'm seeing more pits and small chips in my windshield as well.

My commute has also changed in the last year to more back roads and rural areas.

I don't know if the paint is soft, if the CX9 aerodynamics just allow more stuff to strike the car or if it's the commute.

Back