2016 Mazda CX-5 - What do you not like?

I'm a bit confused here...this is the "What do you NOT like about your 2016" thread. I too have some of the same complaints as Fatboy418.
I have yet to come anywhere close to the EPA estimates but, it is still under a 1000 miles so I am waiting for full break in. I have a really nasty rattle from the passenger side dash that is at it's worst when cold out. My whole car vibrates badly when you first start it up, and lasts for a minute or two. I also dislike that they couldn't add a light to all the buttons.

Oops. That's what I get for moving back and forth between threads I guess. And, this page started with good things by HDWG. :)

I also dislike that they couldn't add a light to all the buttons.

I keep hearing this as a repeated complaint, but I can't find a picture or description of what people are talking about. Are there unlit buttons in the instrument cluster or something?

I keep hearing this as a repeated complaint, but I can't find a picture or description of what people are talking about. Are there unlit buttons in the instrument cluster or something?

Only the driver window and lock switch are illuminated on the drivers door control.

Last edited:
Ah, thanks. Seems like it would bother you more aesthetically than in use? That does seem like a somewhat silly way to cut costs.

For me, it doesnt botther me at all because I don't even look at the buttons itself when using them, just use my fingers to feel them.

Oops. That's what I get for moving back and forth between threads I guess. And, this page started with good things by HDWG. :)

Lol sorry just got so excited when seeing others posting pics of the new ride. My bad.

Does any body have a problem with the fuse box door popping off, not fitting correctly on driver side by left foot?

Not here. I took it off, peeked inside, put it back on and no problems.

Sane here, but I did notice that there was no fuse in the #3 socket labelled for the rear accessory socket. I need to test it to see if it's getting power or not...

Ah, thanks. Seems like it would bother you more aesthetically than in use? That does seem like a somewhat silly way to cut costs.

Doesn't really bother me other than like you said....silly cost cutting.

What I don't like is the friggin' manual! There are so many notes and warnings it's hard to find the information you are looking for.

My '14 CX-5 is in the shop so I've been tooling around in a '16 for the past day.

- Dashboard lights that are orange on my car are purple on the '16. Much harder to read to my eye, and looks fuzzy.
- Rear camera picture quality is muddy and low-res compared to the one on my '14.
- The new center console is higher and my knee keeps hitting it, doesn't happen in my car
- I haven't found a comfortable way to use the new armrest
- The cargo area light is positioned in the hatch, works nicely until I get a bit closer to the cargo area, then it just lights up the back of my head
- The infotainment is obviously better than on mine, but it's slower than I thought it'd be. The touch screen should work when the car is moving, and more direct shortcuts should be available (like the old one has).

Perks :
- The new dash shiny bits are nicer, and clearly seem to fit the old model. I wonder how much to buy those (including the infotainment-surrounding part)
- Everything is a bit quieter, it's noticeable if a bit subtle

Nope, just showing an image of the CX-3 concept at the show. If you google image search the LA auto show 2016 CX-5 it is identical (as far as I can tell) to the production model.
Agreed.

So it didn't bother anyone then that they kept it in the dash? How about the heads up display which is on the new 6; 3; CX-3? Just trying to get some points of view, as it will be first new car for quite a number of years, so could wait it out another year or two. What do you normally do, have it on lease then update in 3 years so these things not such an issue?

So it didn't bother anyone then that they kept it in the dash? How about the heads up display which is on the new 6; 3; CX-3? Just trying to get some points of view, as it will be first new car for quite a number of years, so could wait it out another year or two. What do you normally do, have it on lease then update in 3 years so these things not such an issue?

It's just the normal life cycle of most vehicles. Every year there might be minor cosmetic updates. Usually after 2-3 years there will be a mid cycle refresh, with a "complete redesign" every 6-7 years. Sometimes this is longer, especially on trucks and some SUVs.

Eventually you will have to pull the trigger or you could be waiting for ever. haha.

If you are really worried about missing out on updates, you could always do a 2-3 year lease, but there definitely pros and cons to both options.

Personally we will probably hold on to our 14 CX-5 for quite a while. I usually have a secondary car that I like to change quite a bit, as I get bored and like to have projects.

Last edited:
Of course OR/WA state is prime subduction zone earthquake territory with possible 9.x magnitude quakes.

Doom gloom off now.. :)
I'm from the Seattle area orginally. I lost 4 cousins in the 1980 Mt St Helens volcanic eruption. The old caretaker at the Spirit Lake Lodge who wouldn't leave, Harry Truman, was a distant cousin on my mom's side. They never did recover his body.

So it didn't bother anyone then that they kept it in the dash? How about the heads up display which is on the new 6; 3; CX-3?

Personally, I'm glad that the screen is still set in the dash. I am not a fan of the "tablet stand" design at all.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Personally, I'm glad that the screen is still set in the dash. I am not a fan of the "tablet stand" design at all.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Same here - I like the in-dash MUCH better then my brothers '14 Mazda 3 which pops out.

New 2016 CX-5 Sport owner...like the car, but hate the standard radio that comes in the Sport. In retrospect, I wish I had known at the time that I could have gotten the connect upgrade, but since the brochures weren't out and the dealer I was working with apparently didn't know the options at the time, I'm stuck with an underwhelming unit that probably was what previous model year owners were complaining about.

New 2016 CX-5 Sport owner...like the car, but hate the standard radio that comes in the Sport. In retrospect, I wish I had known at the time that I could have gotten the connect upgrade, but since the brochures weren't out and the dealer I was working with apparently didn't know the options at the time, I'm stuck with an underwhelming unit that probably was what previous model year owners were complaining about.

As an owner of a 2015 CX-5 Sport I have to say I think the radio is pretty good. I came from a 2010 Mazda5. Sound not too bad and I have just started using a USB stick for music. Wow, for me that's a huge advance. I will say I think the FM antenna is not properly designed or not located in the best place.
Sound quality for this level of vehicle is OK with me.

Back