2016 CX5 Nav losing sat signal

samsvoc

:
2016 Mazda CX5
Been enjoying my 1 week old CX5 except my nav seems to be on drugs. I understand the gps needs to lock onto at least 4 satellites in order to give accurate directions. Problem is, even with 4 or more satellites locked on, it has me a good ways off my path. If the car is parked on a driveway or road, it locks on okay but If I'm in a large parking lot, forget it. It doesn't know where it is. I've updated to the lastest maps and still the same issues. Anyone having the same issues or know of a fix? Will be dropping it off to the dealer sometime this week. tks

I`ve been having the same issues as well. Sometimes it just sits there and I`d have to take the SD card out and insert it back it for it to work again...

Did you get it fixed at the dealer?

+1 here, navigation periodically goes nuts and my car finds itself in a lake.
I was hoping it had to do something with my location, but it seems that it's a car issue.

I just downloaded the update from https://mazda-na.naviextras.com and will soon give it a try, but it seems that @samvoc tried it already and it didn't help.

UPD: maps update didn't help me either

Last edited:
I think the GPS antenna is behind the center speaker grill. Is anything in your car blocking its view to the sky?

Does rebooting the system (holding Mute-Nav-Back for 10 sec) solve it?

I have not tried that yet..

I think the GPS antenna is behind the center speaker grill. Is anything in your car blocking its view to the sky?

Nope, nothing blocking the view.

I am starting to think it is because the car is parked underground so when it first starts it doesn't lock into the satellites right away which keeps it frozen...I will try to pay more attention to what happens to the GPS when I start the car after parking it outdoors in the open.

Nothing is blocking GPS in my case either.
Actually GPS eventually picks up signal, but it may take up to 15 minutes driving.
The car is parked outside, under the tree, it's never been a problem for portable Garmin to pick up signal right away.

Most GPS units save a file showing its last position, which makes it lock on quicker when turned on again. I sometimes take my Garmin when I travel by air to use in rental cars. It takes a long time to lock on the satellites when its last used position was 1000's of miles away.

Most GPS units save a file showing its last position, which makes it lock on quicker when turned on again

And that's exactly what happens - when I start it up in the morning it shows last night location right away, as if it locked up on GPS.
But as soon as I start driving this thing just goes crazy.

Oh, I think I got it, one major difference between my portable Garmin and 2016 cx5 Nav is that Garmin never tries to navigate unless it reliably figures out my location.
2016 CX5 on the contrary never tells you whether GPS signal is there or not, and seems to use its imagination if it can't tell the location...

Learned to use GPS Information screen.
Appears that during our swimming sessions it actually not just thinks it's locked up on GPS, but claims HIGH accuracy.
This is our (almost) daily experience
Must be software issue, unfortunately will have to deal with the dealer :(

A few comments that might help? 1. check your first character in your cars VIN number-if it's 'J' the car was made in Japan, otherwise it was made in Mexico. 2. You might have a corrupt SD card or file-or bad GPS unit, ask your dealer to check those for you. And 3. I noticed on your video display that the upper left corner of the display unit shows 'NAVIGATION', that is where it should be showing each street you pass by during your trip..at least on my 2016 it does. According to my service writer and service manager-there have been a lot of quality problems with CX-5 built in Mexico. Hope this helps, keep posting so we can see what the solution was. Good Luck!

I`ve been having the same issues as well. Sometimes it just sits there and I`d have to take the SD card out and insert it back it for it to work again...

Did you get it fixed at the dealer?

I have the same issue (rolleyes) my car VIN number * with JM3

Last edited:
None of the CX-5 are built in Mexico. All CX-5s for the U.S. come from Japan.

A few comments that might help? 1. check your first character in your cars VIN number-if it's 'J' the car was made in Japan, otherwise it was made in Mexico. 2. You might have a corrupt SD card or file-or bad GPS unit, ask your dealer to check those for you. And 3. I noticed on your video display that the upper left corner of the display unit shows 'NAVIGATION', that is where it should be showing each street you pass by during your trip..at least on my 2016 it does. According to my service writer and service manager-there have been a lot of quality problems with CX-5 built in Mexico. Hope this helps, keep posting so we can see what the solution was. Good Luck!

Thanks for your notes... VIN starts with JM3KE2DYX, SD card is probably ok b/c it works fine when GPS is strong, and upper left corner displays streets when it understands what street we drive on. Will take it to the dealer and see how it goes. My gut feeling is that GPS just got poor reception. At least compared to our portable Garmin.

firmware 55 seems to work better, GPS reception still sucks but at least once it locks in it puts car on the right spot on the map.

So, where can i find what firmware version i have in the car? Is 55 available from the Mazda toolbox webpage? I just went there, and it's currently down for maintenance. I did the map upgrade back in April, version 3.18.4.480676. When i click on nav and 'about' it doesn't even show what version is installed. I did see something that looked like 51.03.0.100 -but forget where it was,-is that the old firmware version? Thanks for any help, I will going to dealer next month for first oil change-and will mention this firmware. I thought this software was same as Mazda 6 had been using for years??? Why all the problems -and getting updates from dealers/service to fix it? :(

51 is old and 55 is current.
My dealer didn't have it so had to ask them to download from Mazda and install, it took them more than an hour.

51 is old and 55 is current.
My dealer didn't have it so had to ask them to download from Mazda and install, it took them more than an hour.

Just curious, when was your car 'build date' (shown on the drivers side door jam) next to the tire pressure sticker, mine is 12/14. And is there a TSB,-(tech service bulletin) from Mazda on this problem...so i can reference it to my dealer. Where did you find out about the firmware-was it online here or for the dealer?
I still do not see any 51's anywhere, how can i display that firmware information? I got to the Mazda toolbox today --but it said i'm up to date. I think it just means 'map versions.?

Just curious, when was your car 'build date' (shown on the drivers side door jam) next to the tire pressure sticker, mine is 12/14. And is there a TSB,-(tech service bulletin) from Mazda on this problem...so i can reference it to my dealer. Where did you find out about the firmware-was it online here or for the dealer?
I still do not see any 51's anywhere, how can i display that firmware information? I got to the Mazda toolbox today --but it said i'm up to date. I think it just means 'map versions.?

it appears there's still no traffic info even in 55
and you can see you firmware version in Settings -> About -> version or smth like that
and I don't think it can be updated without a trip to the dealer

Back