2016 CX5, Cherokee or???

The below average reliability of the Cherokee, horrendous styling, and non-stop recalls on the 9 speed transmission? No thank you.

I want to like it, but can't. The only Jeep product I would (gladly) purchase is the Grand Cherokee and Wrangler.

Overall do Canadian jobs pay more than the equivalent US positions?

Remember, most people in Canada are paid in Canadian dollars... The current rate is 80c for 1 CAD. Taxes are different, heath care system, mortgage deduction rules, etc. Overall there's not that much of a difference when you adjust for everything. Otherwise people would tend to migrate (like from Mexico).

Remember, most people in Canada are paid in Canadian dollars... The current rate is 80c for 1 CAD. Taxes are different, heath care system, mortgage deduction rules, etc. Overall there's not that much of a difference when you adjust for everything. Otherwise people would tend to migrate (like from Mexico).

I had not been following the exchange rate for a while. Wasn't it nearly 1:1 fairly recently? That is near what is was when I was up in Vancouver for Expo '86.

Yeah, not too long ago Canadian dollar was on par or more then American. And it was great for Canadian shoppers in the US, particularly car shopping. And everything else, pretty much.

Canadian minimum wages are typically higher than US by about 25%, I don't know about middle class wages across the country - but in general I think they are somewhat similar to the US. Housing varies widely here (Toronto and Vancouver housing prices are like San Jose or San Francisco, however where I live housing prices are more like Boston or Cincinnati), sales taxes are 13% here, income taxes are slightly lower, property taxes are similar, health care is free (but not prescriptions, dentists, or optometrists), cars on average run 25% higher but the packages are typically different (the GS is "equivalent" to the Touring in the US, but offers a few more things like heated seats, etc). Groceries here are expensive (in line with what people in Hawaii pay - it was $8 for 4 green peppers at the grocery store tonight), sometimes we get bargains on things like electronics where they are priced same or lower than in the US (which is odd?).. so an "apples to apples" comparison is hard. Go to mazda.ca and build a '16 CX-5 to get a feel for what we deal with.

I had not been following the exchange rate for a while. Wasn't it nearly 1:1 fairly recently? That is near what is was when I was up in Vancouver for Expo '86.

As a general rule of thumb, when gas prices are high, it's nearly 1:1.

The below average reliability of the Cherokee, horrendous styling, and non-stop recalls on the 9 speed transmission? No thank you.

I want to like it, but can't. The only Jeep product I would (gladly) purchase is the Grand Cherokee and Wrangler.

I had a loaded '14 Grand Cherokee for a rental last year. The engine has plenty of power, but I felt like I was driving a well appointed u-haul. Was very glad when I had my cx-5 back from the dealer.

The 470HP SRT Grand Cherokee might be fun to play with as a rental but I wouldn't want to own it.

Hello. I am new to this forum, but the name Jeep Cherokee brings back bad memories ! I purchased a 2014 Latitude, and boy, I took the car three times to the dealership with transmission problems, which were never fixed and traded in the car. Go with the CX5, you will not regret it ! ( well, except for the money thing )

Hi Folks...

Sorry for a bad English, I'm a french canadian!

Coming from an 2008 WRX, 2010 STI and I now own a 2013 CX5 GT + tech...

My location ends in may so I'm currently on the market...

I saw the new 2016 CX5 but was disapointed... It looks like my 2013 and no change to the 2.5L engine...
Also, my dealers wants (canada) 660$ (with taxes) for a 36 months location for CX5 GT+ tech... It is really high...

I'm thining about going to the Cherokee or Grand Cherokee limited with the V6...

Money is a factor and not, but 40 000$ for a CX5 seems high to me...

Any suggestion? I like the 2015 WRX but I need space for a future family! Thanx!
Just say ''No'' to Chrysler.

Those Canadian prices on things... wow!!..

Let me ask you this. Overall do Canadian jobs pay more than the equivalent US positions?

If so, this may explain to some here why prices are substantially higher than USD versions. If not... ...I'll leave the opinion offline.
Not from what I understand. I compared income in Canada to here, for my profession, and found no real difference. Just higher taxes in Canada. My Z06 started at $120K in Canada, I believe! bought it here for $67k.

right call -- I just saw this thread but I'm another former 2015 Jeep Cherokee owner who ran screaming due to transmission and other issues. took them far up the chain at Fiat-Chrysler and feel incredibly lucky to be driving a Mazda today!

True, although the average net worth of Canadians recently exceeded the average net worth of Americans for the first time in history.

So, yes, on average Canadians are better off economically than Americans.

Back