2016 CX-9 Engine Compatibility

I have the dreaded coolant leak in my 2016. While the engine type looks the same through 2022, I seem to be seeing that 2016's are only swappable with 2017's. I'd much rather get past the coolant leak issue and swap in a 2020 or later. Does anyone know what the difference is in the engines? Does it just require a different ECM?

thanks,

Well, yes, but I didn't want to take the compatibility risk. My mechanic got me a great price on a new long block ($3k). He owed me (work trade) so install was free. I purchased the turbo and transmission off of the car I was going to get the engine from (17k miles). My signature with 130k now runs like new. My mechanic said he understands why shops charge $7k or more for a transplant because of the transfer of all the "other stuff." My tranny acted up a bit at 100k (I do a passive flush on all my cars at 100k). Mine fluid was not pretty. So I'm glad I did the newer tranny. Just a note to do that on your CX-9 (I'd say at 80k).

what is a passive transmission flush? I typically see a drain and fill recommended and not to do an actual flush. Are we talking about the same thing?

Yep. Passive meaning you are just draining and filling and no pressure. I did it twice with 5k miles between, so you get most of the old fluid out. A bit expensive with the cost of Mazda fluid, but worth it I think.

Back