2016 CX-5 Infotainment Reboot Loop

Disconnecting battery won't likely work.
That does not wipe out MID system memory.

My guess is that when one shut down car while FM was tuned to that NPR (specific one?), some info was burned/written into the static memory (not going away after power off ... static, in contrast to the dynamic RAM in your computer/cellphone).

On booting up, FM module is usually the first to come alive... and it crashes while reading the bad info got written (poor coding, should have been more defensive), then it reboots again... and so on.

There might be currently no easy way to wipe clean the static memory of MID now. I am sure Mazda is trying to find a way now. Maybe by way of a special program to wipe that clean by dealers.

Of course, replacing the entire MID will work. Why not?
It's an expensive solution.

Had Dconstructr?
Man, this is crazy town. Glad I don't listen to the radio much!

A Seattle Times article on Feb. 9th offers some additional information. Still identified as a CMU issue. What's to say that you get a new CMU then get "hit" again.?

I am still wondering why lack of proper image file extension sent out by the NPR mandates replacement of connectivity master unit? Why a software update cannot fix this? If someone knows, please share. Also, is this a common practice among all NPR stations, or just few of them making careless mistakes. For those of you who have this problem, would you mind telling us where you were when the problem happened?

I am still wondering why lack of proper image file extension sent out by the NPR mandates replacement of connectivity master unit? Why a software update cannot fix this?
Speculating here... I can imagine a scenario where the software crashes trying to load the image and reboots, tries to load the image again, and gets stuck in a loop, attempting to load image, crashing, rebooting, ad infinitum. The software can't be updated because the system never gets in a stable state that would allow an update to be initiated. So the CMU has to be replaced with one having the newer firmware.

They think it has to do with 3g being shut down?
I love that KUOW is actually reporting on this.
Story is the current headline right now.
KUOW even turned of their HD Radio signal to see if it helps.

Mazda already found the root cause (see Geekwire.com link above). KUOW sent out image w/o proper file extension causing the non-defensive programming in Mazda unit to crash/reboot/so on... Still not sure why the connectivity master unit needs to be replaced... could still be the said file was already written into static memory of that unit. No way to wipe it clean unless it is replaced. I can imagine that the said unit has firmware (cannot be updated) and static memory in it. Hope Mazda also update the firmware as well to make it more solid (defensive to bad data).

:p I call BS!!!!

There's no way in hell that listening to one radio station over another is going to cause your infotainment system to behave this way. No way.

What of those folks who have such an issue and never listen to the radio at all? Such BS.
I call BS. There is no way in hell. No way. Such BS.

I ******* hate people who think they know everything and that something weird can't happen because they can't possibly conceive of it. ******* despise your type.

I call BS. There is no way in hell. No way. Such BS.

I ******* hate people who think they know everything and that something weird can't happen because they can't possibly conceive of it. ******* despise your type.
Looks like I have a secret admirer...

FConrad? That's an interesting name you have there, you just joined yesterday, and this is your first post to boot? Do you have a message for me? Should I feel honored that you're singling me out?

As for your post above. Ok, so I was wrong. I am from time to time; I have no problems in admitting when I'm wrong. What about you?

Do you feel better now?

Last edited:
I got through to Mazda USA's support number (800 222-5500). The rep opened a case for me and contacted my local dealer. There's no fix yet and the next step is for me to call them back in two weeks.

Back