2013~2016 2016.5 CX-5 AWD just installed tires set #3

mazdadude

ZOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOM
:
'16.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring
I am very hard on my tires, lots of hard cornering, braking and full throttle takeoffs. Not to mention, gravel roads, freeways, dirt roads, or towing a motorcycle trailer.

First set were the stock YOKOHAMA GEOLANDAR O.E.M. tires. ~24k miles, and then I ended up getting a nice solid 35k miles from the second set I had installed, which were YOKOHAMA AVID ASCEND 225/65/17. I definitely could have gone another 5-10k with another tire rotation, but I prefer to err on the side of caution.

So with tire set #3 installed at 57k miles today, I went with a set of the YOKOHAMA AVID ASCEND LX in the stock size. 225/65/17 102H 800 A A, (For what it is worth, also has 11/32 tread depth too, compared with 9-10/32 on other tire options.)

First impressions after installation today are: soft and supple sidewall, very quiet ride, and not squirmy like some new tires I have experienced. Will keep this post updated for future data.

Last edited:
I always read your input mazdadude but, why are you locked into the YOKOHAMA brand tires? Ed

I always read your input mazdadude but, why are you locked into the YOKOHAMA brand tires? Ed
While I prefer Michelin Pilots and Bridgestone Potenzas, their options would have cost significantly more. These were $128 each Since I was already very happy with set #2, I decided to get the latest replacement for set #3.

I just replaced the OEM 19" tires on my '15 GT AWD @ 58K miles but have run snows in the winters for a number of years .

I went with Continental TrueContact Tours

After touching the 25lb general tires vs the 27lb yokohama, I felt like the Yokohama was better constructed. The Yokohama is Made in USA as well.
I have different opinion. My 1998 Honda CR-V had been using Yokohama tires since the OE B.F.Goodrich replacement. The one before current set, General AltiMax RT43, was Yokohama Avid Ascend (older version than your LX). It was the worst Yoko’s I’ve ever had especially on road noise after 20K miles. What I found on 3 sets of Yoko’s is the quality and performance are not consistent, even on the same model of the tires. Since I switched to RT43 from Ascend, the performance is between night and day.

I believe most RT43’s, H-rated、not T-rated, on your size (225/65R17), and most other tires mentioned are made in the USA. I also believe if a lighter tire can be constructed to handle higher psi (51) than many others (44 psi), and features good UTQG ratings with good reviews, this means it has better design, just like vehicle weight.

I have different opinion. My 1998 Honda CR-V had been using Yokohama tires since the OE B.F.Goodrich replacement. The one before current set, General AltiMax RT43, was Yokohama Avid Ascend (older version than your LX). It was the worst Yoko’s I’ve ever had especially on road noise after 20K miles. What I found on 3 sets of Yoko’s is the quality and performance are not consistent, even on the same model of the tires. Since I switched to RT43 from Ascend, the performance is between night and day.

I believe most RT43’s, H-rated、not T-rated, on your size (225/65R17), and most other tires mentioned are made in the USA. I also believe if a lighter tire can be constructed to handle higher psi (51) than many others (44 psi), and features good UTQG ratings with good reviews, this means it has better design, just like vehicle weight.
This is why there are so many different tires offered. Many variables to consider... :)

I was not trying to start a tire flame war in this thread, just sharing some data for others.

I knew you would be here to push the General RT43 on to people. I have always wondered much do you get paid per tire? When you search your user name with rt43 you get nearly 10 pages of search results!

Last edited:
This is why there are so many different tires offered. Many variables to consider... :)

I was not trying to start a tire flame war in this thread, just sharing some data for others.

I knew you would be here to push the General RT43 on to people. I have always wondered much do you get paid per tire? When you search your user name with rt43 you get nearly 10 pages of search results!
Recommending RT43, just like recommending CX-5 in my earlier days and you should be able to find 10 pages of posts too, are based on my personal experience and opinions from others. As for too many posts for RT43 recommendation? May be I just spend too much time in this community, and even created several tables for easy tire comparison on 2 sizes where CX-5 uses.

Funny thing is although I locked in RT43 as the next set of tires for my CX-5, I eventually settled for much cheaper (<$80 each after Discount Tire rebate) Radar Dimax AS-8 225/55R19 103V tire based on Badgerbass recommendation here and Internet reviews.

I actually wanted Conti Extreme Contact DWS but they didn't appear to make them in my size..... I had them on a past Maxima and currently on a '07 G35x (V36) sedan. I guess I will see how these Conti's work in the rain.
trans.gif

View attachment 225353

Back