2015 CX-5 noise when unlocking door at morning

hek8560

:
Mazda,CX-5,2015,TOURING
I did a video about it, I don't know am I the only one here has this problem. I think the door outside seal is kind lose, the cutting edge is not perfect. I don't know what is going on with the car, but it is not normal.

Sounds like a Transformer in disguise :) Sorry, no, I don't think that's normal although mine is 2016.

Door lock actuator. Very common. You can have it replaced under warranty. Doesn't take very long, you can have it done at a scheduled service.

My theory is there are tight tolerances in the mechanism and that some of the material used swells with humidity. Hence more common to hear it in the morning.

Last edited:
Door lock actuator. Very common. You can have it replaced under warranty. Doesn't take very long, you can have it done at a scheduled service.

My theory is there are tight tolerances in the mechanism and that some of the material used swells with humidity. Hence more common to hear it in the morning.

My concern is that I did my sound deadening like a year ago, will dealership refuse to have it under the warranty because of that?

Yep... I've had that. It comes and goes. I haven't heard in a while. Dealer didn't replace when I brought it up. They claimed replacement would do the same thing. It is now listed as something worked on so hopefully that will cover if it fails after 3/36 warranty.

Yep... I've had that. It comes and goes. I haven't heard in a while. Dealer didn't replace when I brought it up. They claimed replacement would do the same thing. It is now listed as something worked on so hopefully that will cover if it fails after 3/36 warranty.

Mine does something very similar. I wrote it off as just another quirk of the car. Same as the hood, mirror, etc. It works, so I don't care.

I had one replaced when it got to the point it did it every unlock cycle. I've heard an occasional chirp from others, but they're pretty rare now.

I have the same chirping issue with one of the door lock actuators. It appears to be more frequent during colder weather. I plan to monitor it over the next 2 years and then decide whether I take the chance of having the dealer replace it while under warranty. I cringe at the idea of having a tech take apart the door on my new vehicle.

If anyone has actually had a chirping door actuator fail, that would be good to know. I had it happen on my TSX outside of warranty and it was a lot of effort to replace it.

Mine make some noise on cold mornings...I don't notice it otherwise. Doesn't really bother me at this point - I'll just watch and listen.

As an aside, I have noticed a creak when backing out of my driveway, but only when turning the wheel to the left. Sounds similar to strut creak on our Odyssey, which just required lube. Anyone else recently experience this?

The dealership just replaced mine for "making excessive noise". I hadn't even noticed but the tech caught it while my car was there for other warranty work.

I had this same problem the first winter where the driver side passenger door would do this. I did report it to the dealer and they could not repeat the problem - of course, it goes away when it warms up a bit. I haven't done anything else about it and now it's almost 2 years old with no problems - it still happens but not as often as the first winter (although it was a much warmer winter here).

Mine is 3 years old and makes the same noise along with many others! I only have 38k on it I have given up worrying about the various creaks and rattles I have experienced. My sons 2015 Mazda 3 is quiet as a mouse with 30k on it already. He is in college and delivers pizzas, so he racks up a ton of miles on his car.

My 2016 CX-5 just started making that noise from Left rear door lock. Only occasionally though. Air temp in the high 90s here so temp doesn't seem to make a difference

My 2013 did it and now my 2014 does only when it's very cold out. Dealer said they are aware of it and the replacement would eventually make the same noise. The mechanic said it has something to do with the viscosity of the grease getting stiffer when cold that makes the solinoid make that noise but it wasn't a failing part.

So some cars go click when you lock the doors and Mazda CX-5 makes a different noise than what is typical. Kind of goes along with the character of the car.

I have 54,000 miles now and this CX5 has been reliable.

My 2013 did it and now my 2014 does only when it's very cold out. Dealer said they are aware of it and the replacement would eventually make the same noise. The mechanic said it has something to do with the viscosity of the grease getting stiffer when cold that makes the solinoid make that noise but it wasn't a failing part.

So some cars go click when you lock the doors and Mazda CX-5 makes a different noise than what is typical. Kind of goes along with the character of the car.

Sounds very reasonable, but I still want dealership to replace it.

Sounds very reasonable, but I still want dealership to replace it.

I would only have it replaced if it does it constantly. That was the case with mine. Otherwise they're prying apart trim pieces and you have the potential for creating rattles.

But mine only started making the noise when Temps hit the 90s around here.

I would only have it replaced if it does it constantly. That was the case with mine. Otherwise they're prying apart trim pieces and you have the potential for creating rattles.

Exactly what you said!

Tccox, if yours is making a noise only when it gets hot than you may have a different problem unrelated to this one.

Exactly what you said!

Tccox, if yours is making a noise only when it gets hot than you may have a different problem unrelated to this one.

It's EXACTLY the same sound the OP posted. Maybe temperature extreams, either hot or cold. Anyway I'm going to live with it don't want to dealer tearing apart my interior

Back