2014 Mazda6 recalled due to fuel overfill fire risk

Got my letter today for this. I just had mine into the dealership for an overflow problem I experienced. They told me nothing was wrong with it.

This might sound a bit silly, but I have a HID Kit installed as well as interior LEDs. Will this be a problem with the warranty when I go in for the recall? Anyone have any ideas on this?

Hi guys. Mine is at the dealer now having this performed. Allow for (potentially) 2-3 days, my dealer had to special order some parts to complete the install of the special shut-off adapter in the fuel tank. I believe they have to remove the rear seat to do it. The service manager told me he's never seen a recall in which they have to actually weigh the offending part (the charcoal canister to see if it's been contaminated by gas or not), they have to use a special scale to do it. If the charcoal canister proves to be bad, they have to special order that too, although they air freight it in overnight. They gave me a 2012 Mazda 3 loaner vehicle and not a big deal for me as I'm vacation this week ("honey do" list vacation that is)!

I've never understood why dealers, who KNOW they will be performing these recalls, aren't more prepared with the actual parts needed in-house in advance? Maybe a spendy part? He told me they've done several already.

In any case I should have it back today and will report back, hopefully they don't mess anything up with the car while they're in there.

Make sure to arrive at the dealer with less than half a tank, preferably less than a quarter tank if possible (they have to remove the gas from the tank obviously).

FOLLOW-UP 6/12/14: Recall task was completed successfully without further issue. Charcoal canister was fine (I'm not one to overfill, I stop at the "click"). All they actually install is a special gasket and a clip, they just have to remove several things to get there...

Rampage

Last edited:
Back