2014 cx5 crappy stereo

I really am sick of the stock radio my gs model came with. It's not the Bose system. I want to get better sounding stereo. What should I do? Change the speakers ? Or do I need a new receiver unit and speakers?

Well, the easiest and cheapest way. I don't want woofers or the whole shpang. I just want a better sounding with the original receiver. If I upgrade the speakers do I need an amp?

I only replaced the head unit on mine and the sound improvement was incredible. Of course, I do have the Bose speakers so that helps.

The problem likely isn't with the speakers but rather the head unit. I personally would start with the head unit. You will notice more improvement as opposed to keeping the stock head unit and replacing the speakers.

The muddy sound you're hearing is the poor amplifier in the stock head unit. Any name brand aftermarket will be a vast improvement. You will also get cleaner sound at louder volumes.

My opinion is start with the head unit. Pumping crap out through expensive speakers will give you a crystal clear representation of the crap. If you don't plan to crank every setting to 10, then the stock speakers should suffice on a budget.

I agree with the last two posts. I replaced the speakers in mine with Polks. It does sound a little better, but the horrible muddy bass that I'd hoped to get rid of is still there. Head unit replacement is the solution (though you should probably replace at least the front door speakers as well :))

Thanks brothers. Any recommendations on the unit? I hope to no lose the back up camera and steering wheel controls as well as blue tooth?????

Or how about keeping the original unit and just changing all the speakers and getting a small amp to add more power??? What u guys think?

As mentioned above, go to Crutchfield. Put in your y/m/m there and their system will guide you through the buying process using the features you specify. I recently put a Kenwood in mine and I'm very happy with it. So if you want a brand name, there's one recommendation. I've also had very good luck with Alpine.

When buying a new head unit:
To keep the steering wheel controls, you'll need one of these: PAC RP4-MZ11
For the antenna you'll need one of these: Metra 40-HD10 Antenna Adapter
To mount it in the dash, one of these: Metra 95-7522B In-dash Receiver Kit

Why dont you just replace the speakers first and see where you are at then. For most of that it is good enough.

Back