[2014-2018 BM/BN] EDM aspheric mirrors installed!

:
2001 BJFP MT
:
2016 BMYFS AT
Following up on the long history of me enjoying the safety enhancement of the EDM aspheric mirrors on my Protege and "genwon" BK Mazda3, it was quite intolerable driving the BM Mazda3 with huge blind spots and bad rear visibility.
Once you knew about the existence of something better, you just can't take anything less! As they say, "ignorance is bliss"! And yes, I did adjust my mirrors "properly"... the driver side (flat) glass was as outward as practically possible, but having to deal with the little "port hole" of a back window and the inside mirror to cover the further distances just sucked!

Costing a small fortune, I imported a pair of mirror glass from Germany. Really, the passenger side glass isn't really necessary because the USDM glass is also convex, except the EDM one has no silly warning label. I just chanced upon one on German ebay for "cheap", so...
attachment.php

To me, you can't put a price on safety... This is "cheap insurance" that all the gadgets the car with can't always help you (BSM, rear cross traffic alert, and rear camera). IT IS WORTH THE MONEY!

I don't have "before" pics here, because I couldn't wait to install these as soon as they arrived from Germany after dark a few days ago. But since if you're reading this thread, you probably have a 3rd gen Mazda3 anyway. You can certainly refer to my two previous threads of my other cars, of course. :)
But, this pic should really show how much improved rearward visibility is. There's now zero blind spots when you are parallel to another car/traffic, and greatly reduced if you're at an angle.
attachment.php

The Acura on the left can be seen in the window AND barely in the mirror! The angle is so wide, I can adjust the mirror to both cover a bit of the side of the car (great for parking) and it still reflects the outer portion of the housing!

Meh, right side... no stupid "objects in mirror" warning label distraction
attachment.php

I might find a RHD EDM (UK/Ireland/Malta) glass eventually, but not a priority

Installation is not quite as easy as it used to be with the older Mazdas. The mirrors are a frameless design. They are glued onto the plastic bracket/backer which means you have to be extra careful removing the original glass. The shop manual says to heat up the mirror with a hair dryer for both removal and installation, which is a good idea because the sockets are very tight fitting compared to the "genwon" (BK) and "genpu" (BL) ones. I believe this is by design as an anti-theft measure for some countries where mirror theft is high (such as Mexico). Even when heated up, removal and installation is not very easy as considerable amount of force is needed to pop these in/out, which can be a bit scary! (nailbyt)

For those interested in importing these (contact an importer/exporter, I can't help you), glass only part numbers:
Japan build (LHD)/Ishizaki Honten make
2014-2016 (BM):
Left with BSM, heated-- GHR5-69-1G7
Left without BSM, heated-- GHP9-69-1G7A
Left with BSM, non-heated-- G44P-69-1G7
Left without BSM, non-heated-- G44N-69-1G7
Right with BSM, heated-- GHR5-69-1G1
Right without BSM, heated-- GHP9-69-1G1
Right with BSM, non-heated-- G44P-69-1G1
Right without BSM, non-heated-- G44N-69-1G1
These are shared parts with the 3rd gen (GJ) Mazda6 and can be used with a 2014-2016 Mazda6. No auto dimming is available, at all as it is USDM only.
2017-2018 (BN):
Left with BSM, heated-- BSR1-69-1G7
Left without BSM, heated-- BABE-69-1G7
Left without BSM, non-heated-- BABD-69-1G7
Right with BSM, heated-- B62T-69-1G1
Right without BSM, heated-- B62S-69-1G1
Right without BSM, non-heated-- B63B-69-1G1

Mexico build (LHD)/<i>smr<sup>⌉</sup></i> (Samvardhana Motherson Reflectec) make:
2014-2016 (BM):
Left with BSM, heated-- BPM9-69-1G7
Left without BSM, heated-- DA7G-69-1G7
Left with BSM, non-heated-- DA7E-69-1G7
Left without BSM, non-heated-- DA6C-69-1G7
Right with BSM, heated--BPM9-69-1G1
Right without BSM, heated--DA7G-69-1G7
Right with BSM, non-heated-- DA7E-69-1G1
Right without BSM, non-heated-- BLE9-69-1G1​
2017-2018 (BN):
Left with BSM, heated-- DB1N-69-1G7
Left without BSM, heated-- DA7G-69-1G7
Left with BSM, non-heated-- DA7E-69-1G7
Left without BSM, non-heated-- DA6C-69-1G7
Right with BSM, heated--DB1N-69-1G1
Right without BSM, heated--DA7G-69-1G7
Right with BSM, non-heated-- DA7E-69-1G1
Right without BSM, non-heated-- BLE9-69-1G1​
These are shared parts with the 3rd gen (DJ) Mazda2 and can be used with a Mexican built 2015-2017 Mazda2/Scion iA/Toyota Yaris iA

Japan build (RHD)/Ishizaki Honten make
2014-2016 (BM):
Left with BSM, heated-- GKM1-69-1G7
Left without BSM, heated-- GJE8-69-1G7
Left with BSM, non-heated-- G44P-69-1G7
Left without BSM, non-heated-- G44N-69-1G7
Right with BSM, heated-- GKM1-69-1G1
Right without BSM, heated-- GJE8-69-1G1A
Right without BSM, non-heated-- BJE6-69-1G1
These are shared parts with the 3rd gen (GJ) Mazda6 and can be used with a 2014-2016 Mazda6. No auto dimming is available, at all as it is USDM only.
2017-2018 (BN):
Left with BSM, heated-- B62T-69-1G7
Left without BSM, heated-- B62S-69-1G7
Left without BSM, non-heated-- B63B-69-1G7
Right with BSM, heated-- BAAR-69-1G1
Right without BSM, heated-- BAAP-69-1G1
Right without BSM, non-heated-- BAAN-69-1G1

All "driver's side" mirrors are aspheric. All "passenger side" mirrors are regular convex without warning labels. To get aspheric mirrors for both sides, order a LHD and RHD driver side glass.
For example: GHR5-69-1G7 (LHD driver/left side), and GKM1-69-1G1 (RHD driver/right side)

Reference:
LHD driver side = left side
LHD passenger side = right side
RHD driver side = right side
RHD passenger side = left side

WARNING: These mirrors do not comply with FMVSS/CMVSS 111 (US and Canada rules) and ADR 14 (Australian rules) and are technically illegal in these countries. Use at your own risk! They are fully compliant with UNECE r46 and JIS D 5705. These are fully legal in most countries where UN vehicle regulations are in effect or allowed.

Attachments

• BMleft.png
    BMleft.png
    284.7 KB · Views: 2,115
  • BMbox.png
    BMbox.png
    394.7 KB · Views: 3,296
  • BMright.png
    BMright.png
    272.3 KB · Views: 1,828
  • BMleft2.png
    BMleft2.png
    272 KB · Views: 1,809
Last edited:
Looks like for those of you with Mexican built 3s can easily get these mirrors (although it might still take time). Those part numbers appear to show up in the US pricing/inventory system.

Back