2013 Mazda CX-9 World Premiere

I do like the front end refresh, and the styling of the new tails is nice, but I have to wonder why they appear to no longer be LED. That seems to be moving backwards to me.

The interior shots do not show much change at all other than the split console / armrest. The rest appears to be just like 2012.

I have to wonder why they would make any of these changes if this is indeed the last year for the first gen CX9? It really seems like they plan on keeping the 1st gen around for a few more years.

"Good point for rear LED, I just cant believe they drop the LED tails."

My guess is Mazda team is pretty much done for the next gen cx-9 design style, but struggling to pick the "right" heart...for her.

I plan to buy one of the 2013 models to replace my 2007 model I bought new in Sept 2007. I don't think there has been a single repair to my CX-9 Touring in the 5 yrs and 91k miles I have driven it since new. I have to get the 2013 model before they discontinue the V6 from the lineup starting in 2014. I like my rocketship and just can't see getting around in a 4 banger, turbo charge or not.

Anxious to see the new navigation and controls as the 2007 nav system leaves a lot to be desired. I used my iPhone or iPad most of the time.

It looks like the tail lights got redesigned too. I don't much care for the round exhaust tips over the original CX-9 oval ones.

I prefer the round tips, it looks like an exhaust should. The oval tips look like chromed vacuum cleaner attachments.

2012 Australian International Motor Show

2012-AIMS-Mazda-CX-9-photo-2.jpg

2012-AIMS-Mazda-CX-9-photo-3.jpg

2012-AIMS-Mazda-CX-9-photo-1.jpg

2012-AIMS-Mazda-CX-9-photo-4.jpg

source: paultan.org
http://paultan.org/2012/10/19/mazda-cx-9-facelift-makes-world-debut-in-sydney/

Last edited:
Nice shots. Thanks. There are more at the site.

Same color as yours Nagare?

She has a slick looking front end, slightly sinister,..
Not heavily tinted in the rear like our US models. No rear defroster/antenna in the rear glass on my car too, I think.

I wonder what happens when you add a towing option to that new rear bumper.

Man, the new exhaust tubes look doofy.

"New look"? Only from one angle, really.

Last edited:
Dislike: mirrors with cheap turn signal lenses, cheap looking tail lamps with light bulbs instead of led's?, cheap round exhaust finishers, wheels, grille, liftgate cheap finisher
Like: Lower bumper (excluding grille), headlamps, headlamp washers? (cool), header finisher panel.

Overall, looks better than the current CX-9, is gonna have more safety systems, but cost cutting is still VERY evident, possibly more evident with even cheaper tail lights and cheaper exhaust finishers than the current model.

I like the white gauges instead of red, but they got rid of the blue ring; which I think would have looked great with the white gauges.

Once again - here's the video (in HD) showing design details and the car in motion.

It's a brilliant promo. Sells the car without a single word of BS narration.

Anybody know what the new color schemes are going to be for 2013 CX-9? Would they be the same as the current 2013 CX-5?

I have to get the 2013 model before they discontinue the V6 from the lineup starting in 2014. I like my rocketship and just can't see getting around in a 4 banger, turbo charge or not.

There's no way they can do away with the V6 for such a large vehicle. Even if they offer a turbo 4 it will have to make 250-260hp.

There's no way they can do away with the V6 for such a large vehicle. Even if they offer a turbo 4 it will have to make 250-260hp.

They have already announced they are discontinuing the V6 and have already eliminated it in the new Mazda6. I understand the turbo 4 banger is the only option for 2013 CX-9. Someone can correct this if that is wrong. That is why I plan to by the 2013 model come January. I may even shop the closeout deals on the 2012 models since I will plan to drive the next one for 100k miles as well.

They have already announced they are discontinuing the V6 and have already eliminated it in the new Mazda6. I understand the turbo 4 banger is the only option for 2013 CX-9. Someone can correct this if that is wrong. That is why I plan to by the 2013 model come January. I may even shop the closeout deals on the 2012 models since I will plan to drive the next one for 100k miles as well.

Same engine for 2013:

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2013-mazda-cx-9-photos-and-info-news

I thought there were rumors of a turbo 4 for 2014.

The front fascia looks like a mad bulldog face. I like the mazda 6 and cx-5 Kodo designs better. The headlights don't do the front any service. The front looks to droopy to me. Mazda is waiting on a total redesign because they aren't done developing the sky-activ engines and powertrain that will go into these. Some speculate that they are developing a V6 sky activ engine, but Mazda is tight lipped about it. It is clear that they don't think turbo-charging is the answer, so a V6 isn't out of the question.

Back