2012 Mazda5 Grand Touring ATF flush

:
2012 Mazda 5 Grand Touring
Some questions...I am original owner - performed a drain and fill at 60K and now with 130K flushing system entirely. Pan is dropped and cleaned,; new filter fitted.

1. What is the consensus on the transmission pan gasket? A black rubber one came with the new filter, but it came from factory with either red or orange RTV. That stuff was a pain to remove, BTW. I'm thinking of using only the rubber gasket with some permatex HighTack to lock gasket in place during installation. I'm avoiding RTV because if for some reason there is a leak in the future, I don't want to have to clean that mess up. The directions accompanying the gasket directly states not to use sealants, cements, or adhesives with the gasket. Any advice here would be appreciated.

2. The instructions that came with the filter/gasket instructs using 80 in-lbs on the pan bolts in a cross sequence and then moving up to 120 in-lbs. I was looking to verify that this is correct.

3. I'm also wondering what the torque specs are on the transmission pan drain bolt?

4. Lastly, the Zone recommended STP ATF Dextron VI, which doesn't mention anything about being full synthetic or blended. Interestingly, I went to the dealer and bought a few quarts for a drain and fill at 60K, and they sold me a universal fully synthetic "Service Pro" brand fluid which seemed odd to me at the time. I didn't like it because I figured it should be some genuine 'Mazda' fluid designed specifically for my Mazda, not some universal brand no different than what Autozone sells. Anyways, I used it and it must have assimilated itself fine because there were no problems.

Any help with any of these questions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

ONLY ONLY ONLY ONLY ONLY ONLY use Mazda type M5!!!!! Mercon V is *wrong*!!! AutoZone doesn't know wtf they're talking about!

I use the gasket instead of RTV.

ONLY ONLY ONLY ONLY ONLY ONLY use Mazda type M5!!!!! Mercon V is *wrong*!!! AutoZone doesn't know wtf they're talking about!

I use the gasket instead of RTV.
Thanks for this advice....I will double check with the dealer. I wasn't really happy with the universal fluid they sold me some time ago when I did a drain and fill. It was a universal fully synthetic fluid with a brand name of "Service Pro".

M5 and MV appear to the same fluid.
They are. V is the roman numeral for 5. But, like was already pointed out, Mercon V is completely different, and not to be used. Confusing for sure, which is why I think Mazda started using the "5" instead of "V".

Another option is Idemitsu Type-M, part 10113-042P. It may actually be the exact fluid sold by Mazda in its bottles but suppliers change over time. Either way it's 100% compatible with Mazda5's A/T.

Back