2010 CX-9 power lift-gate - How to re-attach control arm?

:
2010 CX-9 FWD Touring
The control arm for my 2010 CX9 disconnected from the liftgate. The control arm and control arm ball stud look good, and the threads are fine on the ball stud bolt. However, there is nothing threaded inside the liftgate to attach it to. Was there a nut on the inside of the liftgate that came loose? How do I re-attach this? Thanks!

VCZdQNS.jpg

Last edited:
Found this thread that described issue I am having - I think I will try this fix:

Upvote 0
I don't have the tools/skills to do that. I've approached a couple places, they don't want to do it or they want a bunch of money to remove/re-install the glass as they are weary of welding near it causing it to heat up and shatter.

I looked in the CX-9 workshop manual how to disconnect the motor for the power liftgate slider, but its a whole thing. They wanted you to remove the trunk box and the third row seats to get the trim panel off! If you disconnect the fuse, then you can't operate the latch on the liftgate to open/close it manually, as it also requires electricity and is on the same fuse.

Luckily, with the power liftgate control arm disconnected from the liftgate, you can pull it all the way to its fully extended position. From there you can reach inside the rubber grommet shown below with a long screwdriver and disconnect the control arm completely - it has the same type of clip used at the liftgate attachment point. Now I can manually operate the gate, and if someone uses the power liftgate button accidentally it won't go damaging the liftgate further or breaking the glass by pushing the control arm up while its disconnected from liftgate.

I do like your solution a lot better, just not prepared to do it myself, can't find anyone interested in doing it either.

IMG_6054.JPG.jpeg

IMG_6055.JPG.jpeg

Upvote 0
Back