2003 MSP Forged Rods OEM Pistons

ZBlue Bullet

:
Mazdaspeed Protege
Ive been doing some research and was wondering if there is now any company that makes forged rods that will work with oem pistons in the fs-de engine?

Just have the machine shop do it with the stock positions. Allegedly they are good for 300hp.

I kind of figured if i took the rods and pistons to a machine shop they would be able to do it, so the taper on the oem rods dosnt matter when you buy the forged rods for matting them up to the oem pistons? Have you done this yourself?

Stock style wrist pins are garbage. If you are getting that deep into the motor, might as well change rods and pistons with free floating style wrist pins instead of the stock pressed style. If using the stock pistons means using stock style wrist pins, I would not go that way. I had a wrist pin fail on my stock motor.

where would i find floating wrist pins for the oem pistons

bro, honestly better safe than sorry. IMO fork out the money for the forged pistons as well than having to machine your stock pistons to fit the forged rods. AND thats if you dont have to bored out the block. easier just to get overbored pistons and rebuild the engine. again this is all my honest opinion especially if youre already into the engine so deep.

There is no way to do this on "the cheap"! Do it right the first time or don't bother and buy another motor, you'll need it.

You will save money spending an extra $3-400 on pistons now vs. rebuilding it again in a few months and having to buy them anyway after it blows up.

Forgies are noisy, especially my arias with tight piston to bore clearance.

If I would do it again, I would do forged rods with brand new genuine pistons

only a bit noisey when starting up. a little bit of piston slap. but once it warms up after a 1-3 minutes. of running quiets down to normal.

Yea same only noisy during warm up. Once it's up to temp sounds like a normal engine.

not meaning to thread jack but i am looking at buying the set of forged pistons and forged rods from protegegarage. i know many people have had a lot of problems with him, as have i.. but i was curious if anyone has bought them from him? is it safe? lol

okay.. i kinda figured. and with the rods and pistons being such a big deal, id hate for them to be of the same quality as past items..

The machine shop should match the floating pin with the piston and rod easily, Ive done it before and it works. We blew ringlands at 300whp with engine knock, be sure to work on timing close to 16deg max @15psi on 93 octane fuel.

Here is the stock piston on a forged K1 rod, check the groove near the piston pin.
Picture169.jpg

Forgies are noisy, especially my arias with tight piston to bore clearance.

If I would do it again, I would do forged rods with brand new genuine pistons

So, your complaint is that the pistons are noisy...

You're negating all the benefits of a forged piston because they are noisy...

My Wiseco's are definitely louder than OEM, but they're a hell of a lot quieter than the noise that will come from the engine when an OEM piston grenades itself in the combustion chamber...

I have CP Pistons with Oliver Rods, and they are as quiet as stock.

Rods: Oliver vs Stock vs K1:

Picture150.jpg
Though the Olivers look sleamer than k1 I have to say that the area on the Oliver's that attach to the crank is better designed.

Back