2002 DX - Catalytic convertor

rewster

:
2002 Mazda protege LX
Hey fellas,

I'm new to this forum but have a been a long time Dodge/Chrysler owner also and have always had amazing advice and insight with owners forums such as these. In any case, I have a 2002 Protege DX (2.0L?, auto) with 160k miles. I've owned it for a few months and had now issues at all really, except the check engine light was on for a code on the rear (down stream) O2 sensor - I can't recall the code number now. I changed both O2 sensors and cleared it out and after an hour or so of driving (over a few trips) it came back on. I then did an old trick I've done on my cars in the past of sipping a small, SMALL stream of Seafoam into the vacuum lines and let it vaporize into the intake manifold. I used about 1/3 of the can, and like I said I've done this plenty of times on other cars and it blows some crap and smoke from the tailpipe and generally runs at least a tiny bit better. Well on this occurrence, as I ran the Seafoam it smoked out a little, not as much as I'm used to, and then when I was done with the cleaner it idled and ran fine. A few hours later when driving, after coming up to full operating temperature it was sluggish to accelerate from a stop, had a lopy idle and the fuel consumption jumped way up. I know I've probably fouled out a plug or two, but all my indications point to the catalytic converter(s) being pretty clogged and the seafoam was enough of a change to make them gum up when warm. I've had cats do the same thing (minus the seafoam) and really beat down an engine when warmed up, but run fine at the cold start.

Here's my questions. I am planning on replacing the "front" catalytic converter directly between the O2 sensors.

A) is this usually the problem child being immediately off the manifold, or is the other underneath, or both deteriorate evenly?

B) Since there is no O2 sensor following the "rear" catalytic converter to monitor exhaust after that point, if I remove the rear cat and put in a straight pipe, would my engine light still stay on and /or would I create a running problem due to lack of back pressure?

KY has no emissions checks in place and I would do the work myself, I know that know shop would do this for me. I appreciate any insights!!!

I would:
1) Check all plugs and replace as necessary.
2) If that doesn't improve the issue, can't you remove the cat and then drive your car to test the "bad cat" theory?
3) Make sure none of your vacuum hoses came loose.

I would:
1) Check all plugs and replace as necessary.
2) If that doesn't improve the issue, can't you remove the cat and then drive your car to test the "bad cat" theory?
3) Make sure none of your vacuum hoses came loose.

I will go ahead and put in a fresh set of plugs since they don't cost that much abc I had a cylinder 1 misfire code anyways.

As far as testing the drive ability without a CAT, is it best to disconnect the rear first, being easier to access and unbolt? Or go ahead and take both off entirely and drive, then reinstall the front and see for changes? What I'm asking is, which usually seems to have more effect on performance and drive ability (front or rear cat). And if I get a $10 piece of straight pipe in place of the rear cat and that was my "clogged" one, will it create any new issues by being removed. Even if I through it in and remove the 2nd cat (without a test drive) and the problem still exists, I then swap out the front cat and I should be back in business?

Yes, I'd remove the easiest, first and then drive around to see if the issue has disappeared. I'm not sure which one would affect drivability more, the front or rear. If you do find that one is clogged, you might want to look into Magnaflow cats. I coupled one with a Magnaflow muffler for my MX6 and the sound is much improved over the factory sound.
I don't think that removing one will cause any issues as long as you're sure that there are no sensors plugged in, downstream.

if you have a misfire, fix that first. if you've never had the coil packs replaced and wires replaced, REPLACE THEM. if you've driven the car on a misfire for a while, sure enough your pre-cat is done. all that un-burned fuel gets trapped in the cat and will clog it.

off the record: if you are on a budget and are looking for a bit of power, you can always opt for a exhaust manifold setup and installing a spark plug defouler on the downstream oxygen sensor....it will "trick the computer" and won't illuminate the check engine light.

you could also gut the catalytic converter as well and achieve similar results.

if you want to keep it stock, get a factory converter.

Well put in a fresh set of plugs to finds some vert charred and burnt smelling plugs. Checked my vacuum lines and replaced the PVC, and added an octane booster additive I had lying around and this car is running better than it has since ive owned it! CEL is gone, and mileage is as good or better as it was at the date or purchase months ago. Thanks for all the input - sometimes I get stuck on worse case scenarios and miss the basic stuff :)

Hey, since you're in Kentucky, don't forget to stop by the Bowling Green Corvette factory, some day. I've always wanted to do that, but live too far away. Congrats on fixing the problem.

Back