2.5 NA Cracked Cylinder Head with Oil leaking...How common is this?

Is Mazda helping with the cost since it's a known defect? Have you reported it to the NHTSA? (or the equivalent agency in the country where you live). The more reports they receive the better chance of them forcing a recall, and then you can get reimbursed for your costs.

Leaking oil onto the hot exhaust manifold is a safety issue IMO because of a fire risk.

Last edited:
2018 73000km
Down here in the states we have small claims courts, where an individual can file a claim against another individual or a company. Although it varies by state, a typical cap for the claim is around 6K USD, and the plaintiff does not need to hire a lawyer. Is there anything similar to that in Canada, where you can bring a case against Mazda, without needing expensive legal help?

Down here in the states we have small claims courts, where an individual can file a claim against another individual or a company. Although it varies by state, a typical cap for the claim is around 6K USD, and the plaintiff does not need to hire a lawyer. Is there anything similar to that in Canada, where you can bring a case against Mazda, without needing expensive legal help?
We also have small claims court in Canada. Each provincial small claims court has varying degrees of maximum claims, but here on the east coast in New Brunswick where I live the maximum claim is $20,000 (Canadian), where, amongst other claims, you can sue for defective or damaged goods.

We also have small claims court in Canada. Each provincial small claims court has varying degrees of maximum claims, but here on the east coast in New Brunswick where I live the maximum claim is $20,000 (Canadian), where, amongst other claims, you can sue for defective or damaged goods.
Wow, that's quite a bit higher cap than our SCC, even if the exchange rate is figured in. Ours don't require lawyers, and some states don't allow them to actively participate at all. And the cases are decided a judge, instead of a jury, so all of that keeps the cost to the plaintiff very reasonable. Is that how SCC also functions in Canada?

Some states are substantially higher than 6k

WA state is still accurate

"Any individual, business, partnership or corporation (with a few exceptions) may bring a small claims action only to recover money; a "natural person," meaning a human being, may file a claim up to $10,000; the limit is $5,000 in all other cases."

In Ontario (Canada) Small Claims Court limit is $35,000 or less.

Now, before we get tagged by a moderator we should get back on topic about cracked cylinder heads.

So....from what I'm reading is that Mazda is refusing to pay for repairs unless you have documentation that shows that ALL oil changes and other required maintenance was performed on time?

So....from what I'm reading is that Mazda is refusing to pay for repairs unless you have documentation that shows that ALL oil changes and other required maintenance was performed on time?

I believe that's outlined in the Owner's Manual. A log of maintenance and receipts of parts used for said maintenance must be kept to maintain the warranty. Otherwise, they can't verify that the vehicle was properly maintained.

Well, I guess the one we let go of wouldn't have qualified, since we purchased it used with no docs. C'est la vive!

Chances are low, but not zero. Like any other customer service encounter, sometimes you get a good rep who is genuinely interested in helping the customer. They may pull strings to get partial coverage.

It would be like that with any manufacturer, I think.

does anybody know what model year is save from getting the cracked cylinder head?
is a 23 save?
somewhere i read that even 22 Models have found having this Issue.

Screenshot 2024-02-04 at 9.33.56 AM.png

I made an account just to reply to this thread. I've been a tech for Mazda for over 15 years now, doing my second bad head related replacement today actually. The first time I found one was on a CX9. No complaints, was just a simple 16k service and I noticed that the oil and coolant had mixed together, opened a ticket to Mazda Canada and they sent an engine replacement. Now the problem is so common that we just replace the head and gasket. The problem seems to be from a small crack in the head near the exhaust manifold bolts. The engine will either leak coolant or oil depending on where it's located, but the leak gets worse the hotter the engine gets. Thanks to supply problems, took well over 2 months to get the parts needed to repair this CX5 I'm working on today. As far as how common this is, my dealership has done maybe 9 or 10 heads in the last year.
I have a 2018 CX5 currently at dealer, they replaced the engine, and now have new code, I’m told that the transmission needs to be replaced sounds like something related to the engine work? I am hearing this 2nd hand as the used car dealer sent it to Mazda for repairs so they are doing all the direct communication. Please advise.

My Car (2018 CX-5, 70,000 miles)was diagnosed today with this issue. Had a smell when driving vehicle, smoke could be seen through the light of the headlights, didn't see any real oil, and checked oil regularly to see if I lost any, but nothing really visible. Took it to a trusted mechanic, they pulled the covers off the bottom of the car, and they say the engine was coated with oil, they said to take it to mazda as it may be a recall issue, either way they could not get the parts. They suspected a Blown Head Gasket. Just got off the phone with Mazda Dealership. Looks like Mazda is assisting with the cost even though i am out of warranty. Still gonna cost me some cash to get fixed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240319-160419.png
    Screenshot_20240319-160419.png
    58.7 KB · Views: 59
My Car (2018 CX-5, 70,000 miles)was diagnosed today with this issue. Had a smell when driving vehicle, smoke could be seen through the light of the headlights, didn't see any real oil, and checked oil regularly to see if I lost any, but nothing really visible. Took it to a trusted mechanic, they pulled the covers off the bottom of the car, and they say the engine was coated with oil, they said to take it to mazda as it may be a recall issue, either way they could not get the parts. They suspected a Blown Head Gasket. Just got off the phone with Mazda Dealership. Looks like Mazda is assisting with the cost even though i am out of warranty. Still gonna cost me some cash to get fixed.
Although I feel that Mazda should be picking up the full tab for these cracked heads, that net $700 is certainly a very good amount of assistance, when compared to most other out-of-warranty vehicles. Did you have all, or almost all maintenance done at a dealership? And it looks like you declined everything except the tensioner replacement - is that correct?

Latest posts

Back