2.0 heritage?

chadecoen

Hello everyone, new here but have had Mazdas for a loooong time. I have had several Miatas over the years couple of them turbo'd and one extremely turbo'd. I have been and still am very impressed with the 1.6 and 1.8 motor in those cars. I think I read somewhere that those motors were originaly designed for turbo applications from the euro 323 but when the engine came here in the Miata it was non turbo so basically the motor was over built and damned near bullet proof. Longer piston skirts, better oiling, stuff like that. I know I beat the heck out of two of mine with stock internals and never could break it. Even with several track days all over the south east they ran great.

Anyway, my question is....are the 2.0's as bass a$$ as the old 1.6 and 1.8? Is it an improved 1.8? Does anyone know this stuff or know where I can find out about the 2.0?

Thanks everyone, great site over here. I ask because I am in the market for an '02 or '03 P5 for my wife and budget dictates prob. buying one with some miles on it. Can't wait to be a part of this forum(can't wait to turbo my wife's P5:).

Thanks,
Chad

ugh....unfortunately the 2.0 FS is not the best foundation. in stock form they have extremely weak rods and pistons (not being able to handle over 7-10 psi without a really good tune), oiling problems when taking right handed turns for extended periods. Intake manifold is horrible at what it does. So moddin them is an up hill battle. then on top of that when you get over those hurdles and start geting into 200+ whp you'll start running into problems with the glass transmission.

With all that said these engines can still hold there own. Just have to treat them right, spend the money when it needs to spent, and do things the right way, doesn't respond to well to shortcuts....lol

ugh....unfortunately the 2.0 FS is not the best foundation. in stock form they have extremely weak rods and pistons (not being able to handle over 7-10 psi without a really good tune), oiling problems when taking right handed turns for extended periods. Intake manifold is horrible at what it does. So moddin them is an up hill battle. then on top of that when you get over those hurdles and start geting into 200+ whp you'll start running into problems with the glass transmission.

With all that said these engines can still hold there own. Just have to treat them right, spend the money when it needs to spent, and do things the right way, doesn't respond to well to shortcuts....lol

completely agree. you are going to spend money to do it right. and remember these cars are NOT evos or hondas. mazda didnt make a car that will gain 100hp from bolt-ons. and you cant get 50 hp from a tune. its sad....

Well, that sucks. I was hoping for some of the same lineage as the venerable Miata/323 motors of olden days. Alright guess I'll do some searches on motor swaps. I think I have read, so far, that the mazda speed version is the same motor+turbo? So all the internals are the same? How are the auto and manual trans doing with some miles on them? I am not too concerned with squeeks and crap, I want to know if major parts are failing. Like the trans in the 6th gen accords, or the trans in the older 626's and stuff like that.

So as far a longevity in stock trim, how are these little monsters holding up? I am coming out of a honda coma where I was brainwashed to believe that they are the best vehicle on the planet. I came out of it when the auto trans died in my wife's accord, honda repaired it (under warranty at least) then it died again 2 years and 39K miles later. I'm done with that brand. Going back with the brand that so far has put up with all the abuse I could throw at them.

Chad

Forged crank on 'em though, and floating wrist pins.

Last edited:
Mines got a good amount of NA mods including aggresive cams with 80,000 on it and 7,000 rpm shifts no probs. Talked to Steve at integral cams (engineer) , he said they're strong motors and the Turbo guys blow em runnin too lean with the cast pistons.

Well, that sucks. I was hoping for some of the same lineage as the venerable Miata/323 motors of olden days. Alright guess I'll do some searches on motor swaps. I think I have read, so far, that the mazda speed version is the same motor+turbo? So all the internals are the same? How are the auto and manual trans doing with some miles on them? I am not too concerned with squeeks and crap, I want to know if major parts are failing. Like the trans in the 6th gen accords, or the trans in the older 626's and stuff like that.

So as far a longevity in stock trim, how are these little monsters holding up? I am coming out of a honda coma where I was brainwashed to believe that they are the best vehicle on the planet. I came out of it when the auto trans died in my wife's accord, honda repaired it (under warranty at least) then it died again 2 years and 39K miles later. I'm done with that brand. Going back with the brand that so far has put up with all the abuse I could throw at them.

Chad

yes the MSP has the exact same motor just with turbo. as far as problems, i dnt know enough to help you

Hello everyone, new here but have had Mazdas for a loooong time. I have had several Miatas over the years couple of them turbo'd and one extremely turbo'd. I have been and still am very impressed with the 1.6 and 1.8 motor in those cars. I think I read somewhere that those motors were originaly designed for turbo applications from the euro 323 but when the engine came here in the Miata it was non turbo so basically the motor was over built and damned near bullet proof. Longer piston skirts, better oiling, stuff like that. I know I beat the heck out of two of mine with stock internals and never could break it. Even with several track days all over the south east they ran great.

Anyway, my question is....are the 2.0's as bass a$$ as the old 1.6 and 1.8? Is it an improved 1.8? Does anyone know this stuff or know where I can find out about the 2.0?

Thanks everyone, great site over here. I ask because I am in the market for an '02 or '03 P5 for my wife and budget dictates prob. buying one with some miles on it. Can't wait to be a part of this forum(can't wait to turbo my wife's P5:).

Thanks,
Chad

I've gotta say that the only impressive part of the motor itself is that the block was originally for a diesel from my research. So the block itself is bullet proof. Replace the crack rods/pistons and the norm to drop the compression anyhow and you'll be good. I hear the transmission s**** gears so build that up in the process. Oh, and don't get a bad tune.

I know a couple of guys that have put holes through their blocks, so I wouldn't say bulletproof exactly.

Noticed your looking into the Protege 5

Something to note though is that the P5 and any 3rd gen Protege will out handle most cars in its class. Buy some upgrades for the suspension and it will be at the top of the food chain. So in that respective it has definitely come from the same lineage as the Miata. They are a blast to drive in stock form, not much money is needed to improve the fun further.

Last edited:
I know a couple of guys that have put holes through their blocks, so I wouldn't say bulletproof exactly.

I'm sure it wasn't just the block going out though, I more or less meant against it cracking or wearing to s*** etc.
I mean if you snap a rod or something of course it'll sheer right through it haha

mine blew at stock boost, you will laugh when you see how skinny the rods are in these cars

Attachments

• Stock_vs_Pauter.jpg
    Stock_vs_Pauter.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 87
lol those symptoms will blow any engine up.

Some engines can take a lot more before blowing though.

At the same time there is a guy in toronto running in the mid teens boost wise on a stock bottom end and having no problems. It will be interesting to see if a piston flies through the hood when he cranks it to the low 20s.

Back