1999-2003 Protege Air intake Hose Install How-To

ritalinpb

:
2012 Mazda 3 i Premium Skyactiv
So the air intake hose went on my moms 2002 protege with 192,000 miles on it. The car ran horrible and so she took it to the dealer(without me looking at it) thinking it was the EGR valve again. It was the intake hose and had a "huge" crack according to the dealer. So she had it replaced with a genuine Mazda OEM hose. Part 60ish labor 80ish. She got screwed. So My car started running rough so I looked at my hose and it was bad. Many tears and the hose was dry rotted bad. Mines a 200 with 140,000 miles. So I got on RockAuto.com and found a replacement. The part is a Dorman # 696601 and was $27.79 alot cheaper than the dealer. I did a how to video and posted it up on my youtube channel along with some pictures. Here ya go.

Its very simple and has only 3-10mm bolts and a hose and it come right off. Enjoy!

Air Hose before install all taped up to keep air from leaking while part was shipped to me.

Air Hose removed

Old cracked air hose

Dorman Part

New Hose installed

Heres the link to the How-To Video I posted on my YouTube channel!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Som1GMsNs0

it sounds like your mom...got hosed by the dealer
csi-miami-david-caruso.jpg

YEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHH

j/k. i agree, install is very simple. i did this last month, i had less than 87,000 miles. my previous 2nd gen protege had about 90k miles when i found cracks in the intake hose. i dunno what it is about these hoses. the hardest part was getting the harness that is wedged into the hose, took me a few tries to pry it off since i was afraid of pulling/tearing something inadvertently.

i found a new geniune mazda part for a little over $40 which i didnt mind since the dorman part would've cost me $35 online and $50 locally. i also cleaned up the throttle body while it was exposed with a toothbrush and some TB cleaner. it was then that i realized i had a vacuum hose lying around and must have pulled it when i was removing the old intake hose.

Sorry to bump this topic up, but I watched your video and had some questions. You called the hose that connects the PCV to the air intake hose the "breather hose." I cannot find this hose on RockAuto. Is there another name for it? Mine has deteriorated at the end, thus the air intake hose is not connected to the PCV. I have a 2000 Mazda Protege LX 1.6L.

Get the hose at local salvage yard. I had a 1.6 hose in my hand last week. It was in great shape and they were asking 8$ but I needed a 2.0 LX hose. I left it behind and ordered a dorman for 27.00 online free shipping. Mine is duct taped awaiting the part.

Back