1971 Mazda 1200 Pickup

rinman

:
Mazda 1200 miniature truck
How about a 1971 Mazda 1200 Pickup with 26,574.9 miles! I recently acquired this vehicle from a close friend who passed away. It was part of the estate of former Mazda dealer so he purchased it new in 1971 for himself. He said they always called it a "Miniature Truck" in dealer meetings. It has a serious engine issue we're working on (leaking head gasket back in 1981 and has been parked since) plus one bad spot in the bed. It is completely original including plastic still on visors and door panels. I was six years old when he started the first Mazda dealership here and can clearly remember that new Mazda smell and, after sitting in the sun for a bit, it still has that smell! Original manual and paint touch-up can in the glove box! From what I can tell they didn't import a lot of these things. Thought I'd throw a few photos of it out there to see if anyone else has experience with these things.

Attachments

• DSC_0343.JPG
    DSC_0343.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 587
  • DSC_0337.JPG
    DSC_0337.JPG
    205.4 KB · Views: 573
  • DSC_0331.JPG
    DSC_0331.JPG
    212.1 KB · Views: 1,780
  • Mazda2.JPG
    Mazda2.JPG
    235.7 KB · Views: 1,921
Rebuild of the current engine has been deemed not possible. Anyone have ideas of another engine that's successfully been installed in a Mazda similar to this that will replace the old 1200cc?

some years ago I had one of these neat little trucks for a shop truck. the original 1200 engine and four speed trans was pretty weak and impossible to drive on the freeway. We ended up putting a Datsun 210 engine and five speed transmission in it and made a neat little unit to bum around in. It fit pretty well and we used a weber DGV carb on it. The 12" wheels were a joke, so we put some 13" Dayton wire wheels and adapters on it (just because I had them laying around). The truck wasnt big or strong enough to be much of a truck, but it was a really neat show and tell vehicle.

I think mine came out of washington state. there were supposedly only 50 or so that were brought into this country. It shared a lot of pieces fron the 1200 sedan and some with the rx100

Thanks for the Datsun 210 information. I'll look into it. Glad I checked this old thread on my Mazda 1200 pickup. Haven't lost hope for it yet.

Τι θα λέγατε για ένα Mazda 1200 Pickup του 1971 με 26.574,9 μίλια! Πρόσφατα απέκτησα αυτό το αυτοκίνητο από στενό φίλο που πέθανε. Ήταν μέρος της περιουσίας του πρώην αντιπροσώπου της Mazda, οπότε το αγόρασε καινούργιο το 1971 για τον εαυτό του. Είπε ότι το αποκαλούσαν πάντα «Μινιατούρα Φορτηγό» στις συναντήσεις των αντιπροσώπων. Έχει ένα σοβαρό πρόβλημα με τον κινητήρα που εργαζόμαστε (με διαρροή φλάντζας κεφαλής το 1981 και έκτοτε είναι παρκαρισμένο) συν ένα κακό σημείο στο κρεβάτι. Είναι εντελώς πρωτότυπο, συμπεριλαμβανομένου πλαστικού στα γείσα και τα πάνελ των θυρών. Ήμουν έξι χρονών όταν ξεκίνησε την πρώτη αντιπροσωπεία της Mazda εδώ και θυμάται καθαρά αυτή τη μυρωδιά της νέας Mazda και, αφού κάθισε για λίγο στον ήλιο, δεν έχει αυτή τη μυρωδιά! Γνήσιο χειροκίνητο και μπογιά μπουκάλι στο ντουλαπάκι! Από ότι μπορώ να πω ότι δεν εισήγαγαν πολλά από αυτά τα πράγματα. σκέφτηκα ότι
Γεια σας, είμαι από την Ελλάδα και έχω ένα Mazda BTA65 P/U από τον πατέρα μου. Μοντέλο του 1977 και σε κατάσταση λειτουργίας, λειτουργεί και με υγραέριο
, Το πρόβλημα στην Ελλάδα είναι ότι δεν υπάρχουν ανταλλακτικά για αυτό το αυτοκίνητο

Too damned cool!

As far as engine swaps, almost anything can work so long as it physically fits. The aforementioned Datsun, though that may be hard to source as they haven't been made in 40 years, or you can also consider a Ranger/B2300 2.3L. If you get the Mazda version, it will still have a Mazda valve cover on it!

Γεια σας, είμαι από την Ελλάδα και έχω ένα Mazda BTA65 P/U από τον πατέρα μου. Μοντέλο του 1977 και σε κατάσταση λειτουργίας, λειτουργεί και με υγραέριο
, Το πρόβλημα στην Ελλάδα είναι ότι δεν υπάρχουν ανταλλακτικά για αυτό το αυτοκίνητο

Translated:
Hello, I'm from Greece and I have a Mazda BTA65 P/U from my father. 1977 model and in working condition, also runs on LPG
, The problem in Greece is that there are no spare parts for this car

Back