15in wheels on Protege5?

Hey everyone,

I recently bought a 2002 Mazda Protegé5 5spd and am loving this car! For a little econobox it delivers very well and handles like a charm.

I want to be ready for winter (Canadian here) and was hoping that I could use my winter tires from my last car on the Mazda.

I currently have the stock 195/50/16 on. My winter tires are sized 195/65/15. How would these fit on the Protegé5?

I also found a good set of 15in rims that came off a Mazda Protege sedan that I could throw the winters onto. Would the offset on these rims match the Protege5 fine?

Thanks all for the help.

The new wheels and tires are 2.7" bigger in diameter, so your speedo will read faster than standard by about 5%.

I'm pretty sure 15's will foul the front brake caliper too, but not 100% sure on that.

Hey everyone,

I recently bought a 2002 Mazda Protegé5 5spd and am loving this car! For a little econobox it delivers very well and handles like a charm.

I want to be ready for winter (Canadian here) and was hoping that I could use my winter tires from my last car on the Mazda.

I currently have the stock 195/50/16 on. My winter tires are sized 195/65/15. How would these fit on the Protegé5?

I also found a good set of 15in rims that came off a Mazda Protege sedan that I could throw the winters onto. Would the offset on these rims match the Protege5 fine?

Thanks all for the help.
Don't the Mazda Protege Sedans have 4 lug rims instead of 5 used for the Protege 5s? :unsure:

The new wheels and tires are 2.7" bigger in diameter, so your speedo will read faster than standard by about 5%.

I'm pretty sure 15's will foul the front brake caliper too, but not 100% sure on that.
Not bothered by the speedo but the caliper would be more of an issue, I’ll look into that. Thanks!
Don't the Mazda Protege Sedans have 4 lug rims instead of 5 used for the Protege 5s? :unsure:
All the Protege sedans I’ve seen including the rims I was looking at buying have 5, but maybe some do!

The wheels are bigger, so the tire will spin slower, so you will be going faster than what your speedometer says.

Nope, you're good with 15" rims.

These are my winter wheels...

20210709_093125.jpg

I was considering a big brake upgrade for my car to get away from our problematic rear calipers, but my winter rims wouldn't fit with the bigger brakes.

Ok - looks like the '03 Protege hubs can be 4 or 5 lug maybe depending on models.

Just didn't want you to possibly put tires on wrong wheel rims.

As far as I know, the regular Protege came with 4 stud hubs and rear drum brakes.
You could get the sport package that came with sport suspension, 5 stud hubs, and rear disk brakes.
All P5's came with the sport suspension and should all be 5 stud hubs.
(At least in North America, I think Europe and Australia is different ??)

LX model had 4 lugs (4x100 if I remember correctly) and ES/P5/MP3/MSP had 5x114.3.

And yes, plenty people have put 15s on their P5s for winter. Just pay attention to offset.

I'm pretty sure the only 15s came off of LXs, which are a no-go. I don't live anywhere near snow though, so I really don't have any experience with winter wheels.

But yeah ES/MP3 and MSP wheels will fit on a P5.

Anything less than 8 wide with 5x114.3 and a +45 to +50 offset should be golden. 👍

The wheels are bigger, so the tire will spin slower, so you will be going faster than what your speedometer says.

Nope, you're good with 15" rims.

These are my winter wheels...

View attachment 301007

I was considering a big brake upgrade for my car to get away from our problematic rear calipers, but my winter rims wouldn't fit with the bigger brakes.
I'm pretty sure the only 15s came off of LXs, which are a no-go. I don't live anywhere near snow though, so I really don't have any experience with winter wheels.

But yeah ES/MP3 and MSP wheels will fit on a P5.

Anything less than 8 wide with 5x114.3 and a +45 to +50 offset should be golden. 👍
Thanks both pcb and Natey! I’m stoked that I don’t have to go hunting for brand new tires in that case. I’ll keep those specs in mind that’s great.

Reactions: pcb
Onother thing to note, is that if you have a choice between steel and magnesium rims, the steel rims are probably a better option for winter.

If you ever hit a pothole, chunk of ice, or curb, the metal rims are more inclined to bend, where as the magnesium rims are more inclined to crack or break, especially in the cold.

If you ever need new summer tires, 205/50/16 tires are another option with a lot more choices and prices available.

That's what my summer tires are and they fit fine.
They are slightly bigger around so my car is going about 3% faster than what my speedometer reads.

Onother thing to note, is that if you have a choice between steel and magnesium rims, the steel rims are probably a better option for winter.

If you ever hit a pothole, chunk of ice, or curb, the metal rims are more inclined to bend, where as the magnesium rims are more inclined to crack or break, especially in the cold.

If you ever need new summer tires, 205/50/16 tires are another option with a lot more choices and prices available.

That's what my summer tires are and they fit fine.
They are slightly bigger around so my car is going about 3% faster than what my speedometer reads.
Yeah steelies are always the way to go for winter, and if you have a decent set they don’t look as bad as many people say in my opinion.

Good to know about that size too, I like slightly bigger tires and I am already planning to try and buy new summers next year. Cheers!

Reactions: pcb
Back