0W20 Moly-added Mazda oil in Canada??

worth_fixing

:
2014 Mazda3 Sport GS 2.0L Skyavtiv 6MT Conveniance+Moonroof
So before I start, I want to let you know I go the extra 1.6 km for my car, often over-doing on the preventative maintenace department, but that's my choice. :p I know that if I stick with the current oil and oil change intervals, I'll be just fine. I know. But still.

I currently do quite a bit of city and traffic driving, which isn't great for an engine. In the winter, it'll be even worse. Given that, I want to protect it even more so from wear. Molybdenum additive appears to be the solution to my worries, but I wouldn't drop some off-the-shelf additive to my oil in fear that the quantities and mixtures may not be approved by Mazda / may clash with what's currently in the crank case. Mazda's Moly-added 0W20 was specially formulated for the Skyactiv series engines, and it's readily available in the US, part number 0000-G5-0W20-MQ, but for some reason in Canada, no one has ever heard of it. Nobody. I've checked in a few parts departments in Qubec and even Ottawa, and it's totally unknown to them. We only get plane Jane 0W20 from Mazda, some of them with PetroCanada on the bottle.

Has any Canadian member on here ever heard of this? I'm going to the states a few times this summer, so I might just pick up enough for a few oil changes, but it wouldn't have been nice to have this available in a nearby dealership. At $10.60/qrt, it's probably cheaper than the Canadian non-moly alternative anyway.

Thanks!

James

There are many great oils out there than contain no moly. There are some chemical engineers that feel the moly-based additive packages are old and obsolete. Others still love the stuff. If you want to be anal about your oil, it's best to do oil analysis every oil change and experiment. You may be surprised at what you learn. You may find, as I did, that fairly inexpensive conventional oils can outperform expensive boutique oils. You may find that the differences in wear metals between different oils is so small that it's hard to measure.

We have been using Liqui Moly MOS2 Anti-Friction Oil Treatment in our cars along with their Valve clean. Works fine and no issues my wife is the high mileage driver with over 220,000 miles on each of her cars. I will continue using it in my cars with DI engines. So yes I'm a preventative maintenace believer having dumped my all of the ATF at 17k and replaced it with Redline D4 and every 10k drop whats in the pan and replace with 3 qts of Redline D4. The nice thing about not having a cell phone is I can spend that money on my Mazda3 ;)

Back