09 Mazda5 HID Questions

rapscallion5

:
07 M6 09 M5
I feel like I have searched endlessly for the *exact* information about doing the HID conversion on my 09 Mazda5 Sport, but I am getting such contradicting information.

First: What bulb do I need to get? I entered my info on DDMs site and it told me D2S.
-Then I read that if converting from Halogen to HID you need H7

Second: Do I need a relay? I do not have DRLs and it seems I don't need a relay unless this is the case. So. . .true or false?

Lastly: I have already purchased the D2S kit from DDM and I was planning on doing the install today, but the last thing I want to to is start on a project just to find that I have to undo said project because I have the wrong hardware.

Thanks for you help guys.

Since your mazda5 is a sport, it came with halogen H7 bulbs. So, you would need the H7 HID kit from DDM. This is what I bought and am running on my 5. I am not using a relay either.

Thanks. That's kind of what I started to assume as I read more and more.

What really bothers me is that the link provided on DDM Tuning's website to figure out bulb type is what caused this confusion in the first place. I hope they are willing to exchange without hassle.

you also need the spacers
large_101_MZ-H7AD-1.jpg
http://hidconcept.com/images/products/large_101_MZ-H7AD-1.jpg

What Rockin03 and rat240 said X 2....
The D2S is for MZ5s that came with factory HIDs which is basically only the Grand Touring models. H7 are for halogen housings found on Sport and Touring models. Also, those adapters that rat240 posted should come with DDM's H7 HID kit.

Thanks.

Where exactly do the spacers go in the setup? Behind the back of the bulb?

Yes sir. If you look at your original halogen bulb you'll see an adapter where the bulb sits in as well. The spacer acts like that adapter on the halogens to provide resistance for the spring that holds the bulb to the housing.

Be careful with the spacers as they crack very easily..ask me how i know. But, all i did was dismantle one of my original bulbs and made my own spacer. Good Luck!

Got the replacement bulbs and of course they did not include the spacers (yes, I made it very clear on my return paperwork that I needed them).

Not super happy with DDM overall to be honest. I started this process almost 5 weeks ago with them.

Anyone know of a part # for the spacers so I can possibly order them from somewhere? I guess I can try what U5ername did and make my own. . .

I agree with you on DDM's long process and quite honestly their degrading quality as well. I bought my first HID kit for my wife's CX-9 in Dec. 2009 and those things are still going strong and work perfect. I bought a kit for my MZ5 just last year and I had to exchange two bulbs under warranty. Which by the way takes FOREVER. Because they won't send replacements out of their retail stores in SoCal and instead send them from China. It's nice that they back up their product but the turn around time is ridiculous. Also, after the second bulb replacement the color of the new bulb is not quite the same as the older bulb which annoys the s*** out of me, but I just gave up on returning it once again because of the long wait. They seem to even out once fully hot and on for a few minutes. At any rate, I will check tonight to see if I have a set of spacers left over you can have. I'll hit you up later or tomorrow.

The spacers are on ebay all day long for cheap if you get desperate.

I think you will be quite pleased with the HIDs once you get them installed. The 5s halogen projectors do very well with drop-in kits in my experience, with little to no need for adjustments. Did you go with a 35 or 55 watt kit? and what color temp?

Got them in over the weekend. Took less than an hour, but it was such a pain in the ass nonetheless.

I went with 35w 6000k. They look great. I'm very happy with the upgrade.

Back