07 CX7 Oil Cooler oil leak - dealer says entire cooler needs to be replaced

chezouff

:
2007 CX7 Turbo
Hey Everyone,

My girlfriend bought an 07 CX7 w/ 120K on it. Had paperwork stating the turbo was rebuilt around 90k. I never gave the car a good inspection until a few months into driving her oil light came on. Checked the oil, didnt even register on the dipstick.

I kept putting in a quart here and there to keep it up while she used it. I changed the oil and didnt notice much of an oil leak anywhere. I was starting to suspect the rebuilt turbo failed.

Im a shade tree mechanic, i do basic stuff but trying to diagnose this was beyond me. I decided to bring the car in for an oil change from the dealer and have them give an assessment.

They came back immediately and said the oil cooler housing need to be replaced. Ive heard this is a very common problem... what gets me is two things. One, i never noticed much oil during the oil changes... its possible it was leaking but i mean i was putting a quart of oil in every 2 weeks, you'd figure there'd be oil everywhere. Two, the dealer says i cant do the o-ring... the entire housing needs to be replaced due to the oil leaking "from the seam"

Any input on this guys? Im hoping the housing is the problem and beyond that it would be awesome to get away with a $20 oring gasket instead of the $300 the dealer wants for a relacement housing.

thanks, ive seen the video... part of me was wondering what your guys thoughts were on the fact that i didnt see much oil actually leaking and no coverage of the motor or undercarriage and the dealers statement that the o-ring wouldnt fix it... that i needed a whole new unit

thanks, ive seen the video... part of me was wondering what your guys thoughts were on the fact that i didnt see much oil actually leaking and no coverage of the motor or undercarriage and the dealers statement that the o-ring wouldnt fix it... that i needed a whole new unit

I just changed that gasket and it took care of the leak I had in that area.

officially, the o'ring is not available separately, at the dealer
you can buy aftermarket ones for cheap off amazon.... that should fix it!

Back