02 sensor issues

Sam22

:
1999 Protege
Hey..I have a issue with the top 02 sensor (the one that goes into the manifold) that i hope i can get some help with. I had the CEL on so i went to get the car scanned and apparently i need a new 02 sensor. The problem is that, according to the mechanic, the 02 sensor is impossible to get off..they used heat on it and kept trying to get it off but he was worried he would break the thing off or something. So I dont know what to do, has anyone else had this problem and managed to get it off? I've read that PB blaster works really good but if the mechanic can't get if off (Assuming he is competent!) would PB blaster have any effect? Anyways that is it...any suggestions? Thanks!

They should come off fairly easy with a little heat up. I replaced both mine recently and they've came off with just a turn. You'll have to play with it for a second. Putting a new one in is more trickier than removing them.

I had one stuck so bad that I literally broke a snap-on 02 sensor socket trying to remove that bad boy. I ended up having to take it to a friends shop who has a 02 sensor socket attached to a air chissel to remove that damn thing.

Edit: Even then it took a good 20-25 secounds to break it loose!

broke a snap on 02 sensor socket? wow i didn't realise a 02 sensor was so tough lol I guess i dont have to worry about breaking it, just my socket! thanks

broke a snap on 02 sensor socket? wow i didn't realise a 02 sensor was so tough lol I guess i dont have to worry about breaking it, just my socket! thanks

yeah tell me about it! Luckly they have a life time warrenty. The o2 sensor was rusted on or something.

yeah the o2 sensor removal socket is worthless as tits on a boarfrog. I had to beat the hell out of mine, but i just manhandled it with a pair of smaller channel locks grabbing the sensor. then I had a large pair of channel locks that i used to clamp down the first pair of channel locks handles, and turned it with much greater leverage. it came off. I must have spent hours trying everything i could think of.

ok good to know, thanks for the help. I was just concered about breaking the thing off while it was still in the manifold or something like that. But apparently that's the least of my concern! Thanks again.

Back