turbo envy at the dealership

Captain KRM P5

Contributor
:
2002 BJFW, 2007 BK3P, 1979 SA22C, 2005 BK3P
I went to the local dealership to buy a part from the parts desk. The head of parts and I struck up a conversation about Mazdas, and he was telling me about his 323 GT turbo and how we were both looking for a GTX. I made mention of my turbo install and he did a double take. "You turboed a Proto'5?! Is the car here, can I see it?" I opened the hood and six or so guys came over and were admiring / offering advice. "Turbo timer...gonna lower it...the new Racing Harts would look great on this car...where did you get those badges, they're awesome..." It does something for your ego when you get the Mazda guys to look at your ride. The sales mgr took my number and said he'd call me when the MSP came so I could do a comparison test drive. Just sharing a story....

Attachec here (in the link below) is a pic of my turbo installation - I will get other pics and post them soon, dichiee.

Nicholasp27, here is what I have spent on the car so far:
Injen Cold Air Intake w/splashguard = $300 (sold for $100)
Set of Hyper White Bulbs (fog, main and bright) = $70
MP5 Badges = $5
SR Motorsports Rear Swaybar = $240
Kartboy Shifter Bushings = $20
Racing Beat Exhaust = $500
BEGI Turbo Kit = $2,900
ACT Clutch (not yet installed) = $400

As for adding power for cheap...hmm. I would go with a combination of the cold air intake and a catback exhaust. This combination will run you between $700 and $800 but give your car a better throttle response and sound, free up alot of breathing for the engine. This is not going to shoot your horsepower numbers through the roof, but it makes a noticeable difference. I would estimate that a combination like this would increase your horsepower by about 10 to 15 in the upper RPM band.

Turboing the engine gives an amazing boost in power but costs a good deal in parts and labor. Your other option is "go all motor" and upgrade both camshafts and move to high compression pistons. Either one of these options will of course require the use of high octane fuel. FMprotege has posted a gain of 70 horsepower to the wheels with the turbo, and forum member CHDesign has posted a gain of almost 40 horsepower to the wheels with his "all motor" setup.

Other mods I would reccomend; swaybar, short shifter and bushings. You shifting will be mush more precise and snappier with the addition of the last two, and your handling will be much tighter with the swaybar.

Like I said up top, I will get pics soon! Feel free to PM me or post here with any other questions!

Attachments

• turbo.jpg
    turbo.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 283
cool! I wish I have the money to do that hehe but my P5 is only 3 days old. Will that turbo work even I have the Auto Shift?

Any turbo you buy will work fine with an automatic transmission, according to FMprotege. I don't know of anyone who has done it personally, but I do not think it would at all be an issue.

How do you like your Protege5 so far?

turbo actually will be better for a lot of people...for those who are not to well known of the power band on thier cars, basically f u cant drive stick....the automatic will keep that turbo spooled up and in ya power band, may be a positve for some....but me...i love controling the car as i know too

cool! I love my protege... good thing I didn't get the Matrix or those other cars and was surprised the wife loves it too coz she didn't really like it at the pictures but when we got to the dealer hehe boom "We'll take it" we just visited 1 dealer and we fell in love with it and bought it. My fellow VW forum also help me get the MP5, they have good reviews and positive points to it. I love the handling and the sport shift. Wife can't drive stick that's why we took the auto sport she tried with my Jetta but can't take it hehe. One thing I'm missing that the P5 don't have is the torqueness. My VWs have craxy torques but maybe because the P5 is still in break in (not driving it hard yet) hehe

Back