Pics of turbo

Captain KRM P5

Contributor
:
2002 BJFW, 2007 BK3P, 1979 SA22C, 2005 BK3P
Here is a set of pics of the BEGI / FM Protege turbo kit installed on my car, courtesy of the Driver's Image Import Tuning.

Attachments

• turbo.jpg
    turbo.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 448
Captain KRM P5 said:
Here is a set of pics of the BEGI / FM Protege turbo kit installed on my car, courtesy of the Driver's Image Import Tuning.
Yummers!!! That looks great!
(rockon)

I take it that they powdercoated it red (and put the logo on there)?

Begi powder coated the pipes, the place we had install the turbo put the sticker on there, they also loaded the rest of the car with their logo witch we have since removed

does any one know what the kit is going to run! And has any one had problems with their turbo kits yet?

The kit runs very well. The boost is constant and strong after 2500 - 3000 rpm if you give full throttle. The kit cost me $2900 and I expect that Flyin Miata will charge somewhere near or above that price for this kit.

The only problem I have observed thus far is fuel related. Every so often the car will idle roughly for a second or two when at a stop or when coasting out of gear. Corky and my installer say this is due to the ECU and fuel pump providing inadequate fuel to the engine. Corky is researching a fuel pump solution to be added at a later date. I read prior to installation about people having vaccum leak issues so once every few days I open the hood to ensure that all the fittings are tight.

Although the kit supposedly runs 6psi, my boost gauge reads 7psi at maximum boost. So far no problems whatsoever. I'll keep ya'll posted on progress.

What kind of gauges come with the kit again? I wouldn't be surprised if an aerotech was off a psi or two or three (flame2) but I don't think the BEGI kit comes with them do they?

UBER BOOST!

Let me attest to the power of that kit people..... THAT FLUCKER IS FAST! damn, i have never been thrown back in my seat like that before, and.......... 5th gear is candy let me tell you! (he let me drive, quite reluctantly)

anyways, we decided to see what he got so i drove in mine and followed him down one of the main streets and we punched it on the ramp to the freeway... well my NA stock had no clue because he was GONE!!!!!!

Corky Bell if you read this you rock the house! what an excellent job on that turbo! you seriously make me consider taking a loan for BOOST!! have any giveaways??? lol

boost=:eek:

Question for Captain KRM P5
Hey I wanted to know if you had a fuel management unit on your car? If oyu do can you please send me a close up pic
of it.. Im trying to install it but its lil bit more difficult than i had expected
thanks

SlowYellowMP5: The BEGI kit does come with a boost gauge. It is an in-house boost gauge sold under their brand CarTech. The gauge is even back-lit red to match the other interior gauges. There is also a fuel pressure gauge, but it came with the kit to be used to test the fuel pressure regulator, not as a permanent fixture.

BluMp3Turbo: I have a variable rate fuel pressure regulator designed by Corky for this specific kit. I don't know if this is what you are talking about, but my mechanic had a hell of a time installing it as well. The regulator basically increases the amount of fuel to the engine based on the level of boost being applied, restoring it to normal when boost is not in use. It is my opinion that because of ECU issues that the car still needs an additional fuel pump or injectors. I can send you a pic of my fuel pressure regulator if thats what you're looking for.

Just have to ask what kind of HP are u putting to the flywheel. I can't decide between the kit u have or between the monster turbo that Spoolin is putting out. HP is everything to me. I want to make all the Mustangs and camaro's feel bad around here so I need to know will the turbo u have beat those cars or should I go with Spoolin's

1FastMP3: I might look at one of Spoolin's kits if I were you. You will pay more $$$ I think, depending on the setup you choose but you will get his tubular manifold and a bunch of other goodies I believe for increased psi. Take a look at his signature and you will see = 200+ wheel horsepower!!!! He has an awesome setup in my opinion. I am probably running that amount in crank horsepower at this psi with the exhaust.

Hey Spoolin if you are reading this, jump in! What does your kit have that the BEGI / FM does not? Vice versa? To me, the BEGI kit represented the best bang for the buck and has delivered on the promise of leaving the car "drivable" and not overkilled. With some minor exceptions it feels like the turbo belongs on this car.

I have made more than a few Thunderbirds and Eldorados around here "feel bad" as you put it :) Don't even ask me about Integras, Civics, Preludes, etc. - no contest. I have been able to hang with a Mustang convertible, but I am sure that the GTs and Cobras out there would kill me. Tonight I blew some guy in his Maxima away - he just kept inching and inching up into the intersection, blocking cross traffic just so he could launch on the green light. I hate people who think they own the damn street. Revved my engine, he revved his. Light was green, I was gone and he was snarling at me at the next light.

I have left a stock Mustang (1999 and up) in my stock MP3. Of course he was already behind me. :D I probably could beat a stock Mustang (pre 1999, 150 HP). I am optomistic that you will be able to hang with the GT's. What do you mean by you hung with a Mustang Convertible.

Last edited:
That's awsome Captain but I think you're right. I'm going to have to go with Spoolin's setup. Captain is right if u are reading this Spoolin u sshould jump in on this and tell us everything about yours. I mean I know people including myself know's about your setup but it would be a great plug for u. Besides I would really like to know how your turbo reacts. Like I said earlier I'm sick of Mustangs and Camaro's they think there the sh$t around here. Well I think it's time for them to get there feeling's hurt (rofl)

Captain I knew the BEGI kit came with gauges I was just asking if they were Aerotech or not and I didn't think they were. Thanks for the info though

LinuxRacr: What I meant to say is that from a stoplight I "hung with" or kept up with an older Mustang. It had dual exhaust, old pre 1992 styling, maybe was a 5.0? We were neck and neck just about.

BluMp3Turbo: When you say FMU, do you mean the piggyback or ECU modification? If so I do not have one of those with my kit - all I have is a pressure regulator. If you want a pic of my regulator I will send you this.

SlowYellowP5: Cool man, meant no offense at all. I am guessing by your remark that Aerotech gauges = CRAP? I don't know a good deal about different brands in that regard.

I think you guys are talking about the same thing, you're both using different names. The FMU is the silver thingy that looks kind like the old TIAL externam wastegate.

Captain KRM P5 said:
LinuxRacr: What I meant to say is that from a stoplight I "hung with" or kept up with an older Mustang. It had dual exhaust, old pre 1992 styling, maybe was a 5.0? We were neck and neck just about.

SHAWEEET!!! :D It had to be a 5.0 or better. If not, you would have killed it.

Back