Need advice on 2020 CX-5 Signature purchase

I am planning to buy a 2020 CX-5 Signature model. I have scheduled an appointment for a full inspection at a Mazda showroom. However, I am concerned because it already has 89K mileage, and it is quoted at 31K CAD before taxes. Is this a good deal if everything checks out in the inspection?

I test drove it and noticed significant road noise on the highway, which I have asked them to check during the inspection. I would like to hear from people who have owned a Mazda, as this will be my first Mazda purchase.

Do yourself a favour and don't buy a vehicle from Ontario or Quebec unless it's a really good deal. You'll have rust issues if you keep the vehicle long term. BC through Manitoba is good.

Upvote 0
I am planning to buy a 2020 CX-5 Signature model. I have scheduled an appointment for a full inspection at a Mazda showroom. However, I am concerned because it already has 89K mileage, and it is quoted at 31K CAD before taxes. Is this a good deal if everything checks out in the inspection?

I test drove it and noticed significant road noise on the highway, which I have asked them to check during the inspection. I would like to hear from people who have owned a Mazda, as this will be my first Mazda purchase.
A 2020 CX-5 Signature with a 2.5T? Why you want a car with potential cylinder head crack problem?

2.5T Engine Coolant Leaking TSB

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and inputs.. I have decided to skip both the deal i had and planning to do a lease take over on 2024 CX-50 Meridian Trim .. 10 Months old and 12.5K driven. 38 months more on the lease.

Upvote 0
I will say there is a notable quality difference from many who post on the CX-50 vs CX-5 as the 50 is built in Alabama and the 5 is built in Japan. Make sure you drive both well.

Upvote 0
I will say there is a notable quality difference from many who post on the CX-50 vs CX-5 as the 50 is built in Alabama and the 5 is built in Japan. Make sure you drive both well.
Well, complainers will complain :). It is true that there were probably some 'glitches' in the CX-50 first year production, but my own CX-50 has been perfect, and personally, I prefer the drivability to the wife's CX-5.

Upvote 0
A 2020 CX-5 Signature with a 2.5T? Why you want a car with potential cylinder head crack problem?

2.5T Engine Coolant Leaking TSB

OP may not be familiar with the potential issue. It's also safe to say that the potential issue may not be an issue during the course of their ownership. It's good to be aware of, but I wouldn't let it scare a potential owner away, especially if the owner wants to save some money by buying used.

Upvote 0
OP may not be familiar with the potential issue. It's also safe to say that the potential issue may not be an issue during the course of their ownership. It's good to be aware of, but I wouldn't let it scare a potential owner away, especially if the owner wants to save some money by buying used.
If the problem is a major design flaw, it's NOT safe to say that the potential issue may not be an issue during the course of their ownership. Mazda redesigned the fairly reliable cylinder head from original 2.5L NA for both 2.5T and 2.5L NA with CD, and screwed the task which can’t take the weight of the long and heavy exhaust manifold properly. The head crack issue will happen on the 2.5T assembled before 2021, depending on how many bumps your car is going through based on its TSB. The warning to a used car buyer who doesn’t know the potential problem with a 2.5 T is based on the truth. We don’t want to hide the fact and make him/her getting stuck in a bad situation if the cracked head happens after the purchase. See how many such reports which already happened especially in our CX-9 forum.

Upvote 0
Agreed. My 21 has not had the issue - as of yet (27k miles).
Yeh the 2.5T in your 2021 CX-5 GTR comes with a revised cylinder head which is supposed to be stronger to hold the heavy exhaust manifold. You can’t compare your 2021’s to a 2020 2.5T.

Upvote 0
If the problem is a major design flaw, it's NOT safe to say that the potential issue may not be an issue during the course of their ownership. Mazda redesigned the fairly reliable cylinder head from original 2.5L NA for both 2.5T and 2.5L NA with CD, and screwed the task which can’t take the weight of the long and heavy exhaust manifold properly. The head crack issue will happen on the 2.5T assembled before 2021, depending on how many bumps your car is going through based on its TSB. The warning to a used car buyer who doesn’t know the potential problem with a 2.5 T is based on the truth. We don’t want to hide the fact and make him/her getting stuck in a bad situation if the cracked head happens after the purchase. See how many such reports which already happened especially in our CX-9 forum.

In my reply, I was speaking to the potential of the issue occurring. The chance of having the issue is unrelated to the severity of the issue. Nobody is hiding anything. I'm simply stating that the potential issue is rare when you consider how many reports there are against total units sold, based on the online reports and sales figures available to us. Thus my comment that it is safe to say that the issue may not be a concern during their ownership.

As I said, it's good to be aware of the issue to understand how involved the repair could be. It is absolutely a major repair if it happens.

Further, the bolded statement quoted above is false. The TSB does not state "how many bumps", it specifies that potholes and things of that nature are more likely to cause the issue. There is no magic number of how many bumps you can hit, and no measurement of how jarring the bumps have to be. My 2018, for example, has driven over plenty of potholes, some impacts being hard enough to put bends in two of my rims and wear out my front wheel bearings. Still no coolant leak. Of course, this doesn't mean that my engine will never have the problem, I'm just stating this to illustrate that your bolded statement isn't absolute.

Upvote 0
Further, the bolded statement quoted above is false. The TSB does not state "how many bumps", it specifies that potholes and things of that nature are more likely to cause the issue. There is no magic number of how many bumps you can hit, and no measurement of how jarring the bumps have to be. My 2018, for example, has driven over plenty of potholes, some impacts being hard enough to put bends in two of my rims and wear out my front wheel bearings. Still no coolant leak. Of course, this doesn't mean that my engine will never have the problem, I'm just stating this to illustrate that your bolded statement isn't absolute.
From TSB No.: 01-002-23:

DESCRIPTION

Cracks may be caused by:
• Expansion characteristics of the exhaust manifold during usage causing unexpected force to certain areas of the cylinder head.
• Residual stress generated during produbction in the cylinder head material may be greater than expected. The external force from the exhaust system when driving over bumps may cause unexpected force to certain areas of the cylinder head.
To eliminate this concern, the design of the exhaust manifold gasket and the cylinder head has been modified to reduce the force on the cylinder head.

TSB No.: 01-002-23: Coolant Leaks at Cylinder Head

More bumps you drive over, it’s more likely you’ll have a cracked head.

Upvote 0
The head crack issue will happen on the 2.5T assembled before 2021, depending on how many bumps your car is going through based on its TSB.

Your statement above says that all 2.5T assembled before 2021 will have this issue happen. I've been driving over pothole-ridden roads and replaced/repaired damaged parts related to suspension and wheels a few times over six years and 116k kms (72k mi). If it's going to happen to every 2.5T before 2021, like you said above, why hasn't mine had the issue? Or the numerous other 2016-2020 owners still driving their CX-9/CX-5/Mazda6?

Your statement above is false - it doesn't happen to all 2.5T engines, which was the point I was making regarding the potential of the issue happening. It's rare, and it doesn't happen nearly as often as you make it seem like it does. So if someone is considering a 19-20 CX-5 Turbo, the best thing we can do is provide as much accurate info as we can.

More bumps you drive over, it’s more likely you’ll have a cracked head.

This makes more sense over the absolute statements you were making earlier. But even then, some members have reported the issue even with low mileage and good roads.

Upvote 0
A little over 50,000 miles on my 19 GTR. Roads in my area suck not a lot of potholes but tons of buckling asphalt due to cold/hot temperature changes. Lots of sunken manhole covers that my wife always seems to hit.

No head crack.

Upvote 0
Yeh the 2.5T in your 2021 CX-5 GTR comes with a revised cylinder head which is supposed to be stronger to hold the heavy exhaust manifold. You can’t compare your 2021’s to a 2020 2.5T.
But the 21 has the potential issue with the valve stem seals....

Upvote 0
Jumping in here.

I'm considering taking over a family 2020 Signature. It has 50k miles and was well serviced. It had the rear diff replaced for the clunking issue, but hasn't had any issues with cracks / coolant.

It has a sub 830k vin (in the 700k range), so the 2.5T is TSB relevant.

Before I take it over, I'm trying to understand the crack issue better.

If it fails, will I be able to get to a shop or will I be stranded on the road? I don't mind the expense of the repair as much as I do the inconvenience.

I also thought that it would be every TSB relevant VIN would be affected sooner or later, but maybe that's not true?

Upvote 0
⋯ If it fails, will I be able to get to a shop or will I be stranded on the road? I don't mind the expense of the repair as much as I do the inconvenience.

I also thought that it would be every TSB relevant VIN would be affected sooner or later, but maybe that's not true?
If the head fails, it really depends on how far away from the shop you’d prefer. You’re running the risk of being short of coolant which will cause the engine overheating. Or the coolant could mix with the oil which would damage the engine internals. The best to handle this situation is to tow your vehicle to the nearest repair shop.

IMO every 2.5T assembled in 2020 or prior eventually will develop the crack on the cylinder head due to the design flaws, or Mazda won’t spend time and money to re-modified the head. Of course most likely the vehicle owners of those may never encounter this issue, but once you have it, it’s a major repair and costs you $$$$$.

Upvote 0

No, I don't think that's true. If it were, we'd be seeing a LOT more reports of head cracking here and on other forums. The TSB indicates the potential for those affected VINs to develop this issue. If you want to avoid it altogether, look for one that is not included in the VIN range, generally 21+.

In the majority of reported cases for coolant leaks on the 2.5T, the leak starts slow, and is usually an external leak that doesn't mix with the oil. One of the other members here drives a 2016, and has mentioned that they carry a 1L jug of OEM FL22 coolant and Bar's Leaks Radiator Stop Leak tablets in their trunk. That way, if they notice they have a leak, they can add the stop leak, top up coolant if it's low, and then make their way to a dealership or shop for further diagnosis and/or repair.

Upvote 0
Back