Class action settlement for defective exhaust valve seals/oil burning on 2021 CX-5, CX-9 2.5T etc

I have a 21 CX9 just turning 40k. I change the oil myself with top synthetic every 3k. I've never lost a drop of oil. I'm concerned that this problem might creep up after 100k. I keep receipts of my Mazda filters that I buy at the dealership along with Mobil 1 oil from various places. The dealer is a personal friend of mine. Has anyone experienced oil consumption early after an oil change or does it only start losing oil when you're getting close to a 5k/7k change interval? Is anyone losing oil on an engine with less than 40k miles?

I have a 21 CX9 just turning 40k. I change the oil myself with top synthetic every 3k. I've never lost a drop of oil. I'm concerned that this problem might creep up after 100k. I keep receipts of my Mazda filters that I buy at the dealership along with Mobil 1 oil from various places. The dealer is a personal friend of mine. Has anyone experienced oil consumption early after an oil change or does it only start losing oil when you're getting close to a 5k/7k change interval? Is anyone losing oil on an engine with less than 40k miles?
It seems I recall reading that some people noticed low oil fairly soon, under 2000 mi, but several people said the low oil wouldn't come on until it was closer to the 7500 mile oil change. If you change at 3000 I wonder if you will ever notice the loss, unless you check very carefully. Some oil might undergo some chemical changes after 5000 miles and that could be an issue as well. I've read that If you burn enough oil it can be damaging to the catalytic converter but burning small amount might not be a big enough deal to trigger an emissions problem.

I've been following this thread before taking my car to the dealership to get the recall work done. There were no problems getting it approved. The low oil light came on at about 4,500/5,000 miles of my oil change interval, first time that happened.

It's now been 4 weeks and 500 miles since the seals were replaced at the dealer. Looking at the paperwork from the dealer, it appears they may have also removed the head, because there was also a head gasket replacement line item.

I noticed the car produces a lot smoke when I start it up. My neighbor, who is an automotive tech noticed the excessive smoking and said it could be an issue with valve seals or valve guides. While we were talking, he asked me to idle for a few minutes and then rev the engine in neutral. A lot of grey smoke came out the back.

Did the dealership not do the repair correctly? I don't recall any smoking prior to the warranty valve seal service.

I've been following this thread before taking my car to the dealership to get the recall work done. There were no problems getting it approved. The low oil light came on at about 4,500/5,000 miles of my oil change interval, first time that happened.

It's now been 4 weeks and 500 miles since the seals were replaced at the dealer. Looking at the paperwork from the dealer, it appears they may have also removed the head, because there was also a head gasket replacement line item.

I noticed the car produces a lot smoke when I start it up. My neighbor, who is an automotive tech noticed the excessive smoking and said it could be an issue with valve seals or valve guides. While we were talking, he asked me to idle for a few minutes and then rev the engine in neutral. A lot of grey smoke came out the back.

Did the dealership not do the repair correctly? I don't recall any smoking prior to the warranty valve seal service.
IMO looks like your Mazda dealer screwed something up unfortunately.

Firstly, the dealer shouldn’t need to remove the cylinder head to replace the exhaust valve stem seals, as Mazda developed a special tool only for that purpose to eliminate the necessity of head removal for such job. The TSB also outlined the procedure in details for the job.

Secondly you shouldn’t see the smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe. That seems to be severe oil burning symptom to me.

Take your 2021 2.5T CX-5 back to your dealership with a video and the TSB copy, and contact the MNAO to complain.

Last edited:
IMO looks like your Mazda dealer screwed something up unfortunately.

Firstly, the dealer shouldn’t need to remove the cylinder head to replace the exhaust valve stem seals, as Mazda developed a special tool only for that purpose to eliminate the necessity of head removal for such job. The TSB also outlined the procedure in details for the job.

Secondly you shouldn’t see the smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe. That seems to be severe oil burning symptom to me.

Take your 2021 2.5T CX-5 back to your dealership with a video and the TSB copy, and contact the MNAO to complain.

Agreed, I'd take a video showing this issue as suggested, upload it to YouTube, then bring it back to the dealership. As far as I can recall, those who have had this repair done have not mentioned excessive smoking post-repair.

Can any owners who have had this repair done chime in on @dauss' excessive smoking concern? Do you share the same issue?

Agreed, I'd take a video showing this issue as suggested, upload it to YouTube, then bring it back to the dealership. As far as I can recall, those who have had this repair done have not mentioned excessive smoking post-repair.

Can any owners who have had this repair done chime in on @dauss' excessive smoking concern? Do you share the same issue?
Mine was replaced by T. Dahle in Salt Lake City, UT about 6 weeks ago (see above, 21 CX-5 Sig) and I have driven ~1800 highway miles since. Total miles on the car: ~37700. Operation is just as before except that I have NOT needed to add any oil. The mark on the dipstick hasn't moved. Before the seals were changed, I would have added about one half quart by now. And yes, the "gasket, head cover" was replaced as one would expect for this work. NO visible smoke. Dauss, it certainly sounds like something is awry with the service work done on yours.

It would probably be a good idea to check the oil level, too.

It seems I recall reading that some people noticed low oil fairly soon, under 2000 mi, but several people said the low oil wouldn't come on until it was closer to the 7500 mile oil change. If you change at 3000 I wonder if you will ever notice the loss, unless you check very carefully. Some oil might undergo some chemical changes after 5000 miles and that could be an issue as well. I've read that If you burn enough oil it can be damaging to the catalytic converter but burning small amount might not be a big enough deal to trigger an emissions problem.
I checked at dealer and they claimed the cars that had issues showed up early with 15k miles or less. Claims that if I'm turning 40k with no issues I probably never will have any. Not sure if it was a brush off, but I'll just stay the course for now. I've got up to 84k miles to find out.

Here's an update about my car. The car has just over 27k miles.

I took the car back last Wednesday and they had been driving it around a few miles everyday and say the smoke is lessening. They claim that the smoke is from oil getting into the exhaust system and estimate it needs another 1000-1500 miles for all the oil to "burn off".

I doubt they actually did anything besides driving it and going to be picking up the car in an hour.

Not sure what I should do next.

Here's an update about my car. The car has just over 27k miles.

I took the car back last Wednesday and they had been driving it around a few miles everyday and say the smoke is lessening. They claim that the smoke is from oil getting into the exhaust system and estimate it needs another 1000-1500 miles for all the oil to "burn off".

I doubt they actually did anything besides driving it and going to be picking up the car in an hour.

Not sure what I should do next.
How would the oil get into the exhaust system? 1500 miles to burn off?! How much oil is there to take 1500 miles to burn off?? Like a gallon?

This dealership claimed that this is the 3rd CX-5 2.5T they've told the customer to come back after another 1-1.5k miles.

My neighbor (the auto tech) surmised that the valve seal replacement work was covered by Mazda, but a subsequent service to remove the heads and check the valve seals would be on the dealership to cover, so they won't eat the cost on that. They did have to do an oil change, which was covered. They tried to document that they weren't able to replicate the smoking problem, but asked the service underwriter to revise the notes that they were able to replicate the smoking problem.

Definitely annoyed that excessive smoking wasn't an issue prior to the valve seal replacement and may have to get the district tech involved for a future visit. That being said, a loner vehicle was provided and it wasn't too much of a hassle for me. I have a feeling that the low pressure oil light will be coming on. I'll keep everyone updated and really enjoyed this car so far. My first Mazda, but this valve seal ordeal is not helping my thoughts of Mazda.

How would the oil get into the exhaust system? 1500 miles to burn off?! How much oil is there to take 1500 miles to burn off?? Like a gallon?
Exactly. My neighbor (the auto tech for an independent shop) said that if it was still smoking after a week, they would remedy it.

I did ask, after starting the car, why it smoke excessively less than 10 seconds after the engine was running after sitting for several hours and why it would smoke excessively nearly immediately after starting the car the next morning. The underwriter said that "those were good questions and I'm not a technician".

Got an email from my dealership this morning. Just want your thoughts.

My name is Tino the loyalty manager here at Walser Burnsville Mazda. I am reaching out on behalf of our service department. It looks like your vehicle may need an urgent engine repair that may be causing excessive oil consumption. Please call to schedule a FREE oil change and inspection to determine if your vehicle needs this important engine update. Thank you for your time and we hope to see you soon.

Maybe work is slowing down and they need more traffic. Wouldn't hurt but I'd imagine they'll start selling you on many other things.

I have a 2021 CX-9 Sig. I was thinking it was their way of getting the oil consumption check before I come in and ask for the valve seals to be done

So after getting the email I set up to have the oil change done today. I drove in showed the gentleman at the counter the paperwork and he started asking a few questions. After I mentioned that I had added oil a few times he immediately started to set up a loaner car (CX-90PHEV) and took my car into the shop. Walser Mazda in Burnsville Minnesota where I bought the car from. Told me it should be ready Monday afternoon. Very simple and easy process.

Back