Off Topic: EV Batteries That Fully Charge in 10 Min by the End of 2024

From 2 years ago:
I guess my question is if Enovix car battery is that good 2 years ago, how come Tesla isn’t using it and keeps using inferior car batteries from Panasonic and LG for US market? In design phase is totally different from in production phase.

BYD and CATL currently are the world's biggest battery manufacturers with most density (1,000 km / 621 mile range is the norm) and fast charging batteries already been used on EV production line.

And they’re low-priced too:

Having started as inexpensive cells for entry-level electric vehicles, LFP battery cells are poised to dominate the EV industry as the performance choice. The LFP chemistry has been constantly improved, with the best LFP cells almost on par with NMC cells regarding energy density. However, they appear to gain an edge in fast charging, with record 6C rates that would allow them to fully charge in 10 minutes.

BYD and CATL, currently the world's biggest battery manufacturers, are working on ultra-fast charging battery cells with 6C capability. BYD will launch its Blade 2.0 battery in the second half of the year, according to a report from China. CATL also plans to launch the second generation of its Qilin battery with a similar performance by the end of 2024. Both use lithium-iron-phosphate (LFP) chemistry, which has gained wide acceptance among EV makers.

I don't think you'll be able to get 50 kWh in 10 minutes at your home anywhere in the world. There is a stark difference between what the battery can be marketed as capable of and what will be achievable by the end user.

I guess my question is if Enovix car battery is that good 2 years ago, how come Tesla isn’t using it and keeps using inferior car batteries from Panasonic and LG for US market? In design phase is totally different from in production phase.
Cost

BYD and CATL currently are the world's biggest battery manufacturers with most density (1,000 km / 621 mile range is the norm) and fast charging batteries already been used on EV production line.

It seems like you're referring to the concept Ocean X. It is far from the "norm", let alone even in production.

I don't think you'll be able to get 50 kWh in 10 minutes at your home anywhere in the world. There is a stark difference between what the battery can be marketed as capable of and what will be achievable by the end user.
No, you definitely can’t do 10-minute to full-charge at home, that would require too much power. But in China they’re building “charging 1 second for 1 km” fast charging stations since last October. It’d be like we’re going to a gas station to fill up the gas in 10 minutes, but with the range (621 miles and more) almost doubled than most ICE vehicles.

A “1 Second for 1 KM” EV Charging Station!

Well, if a good product featuring high price, what is it good for? If others can make a product similar or better than yours with lower price, how are you going to survive? Lower cost for a product is a very important factor to sell your product which requires smart design and better technology.

It seems like you're referring to the concept Ocean X. It is far from the "norm", let alone even in production.
No, the article is talking about the latest EV battery technology, not about the car models like BYD concept Ocean X. I imagine Ocean X would use latest EV batteries when it becomes a product for sale. In the mean time any EV makers in China can use this fast charging battery with 6C rating to compete when they’re available later this year.

It’d be nice we can do slower charging overnight at home, and go to a super-fast charging station for 10 minutes charging whenever you need it.

Unfortunately the infrastructure for EV charging stations is lacking behind in the US. And with the trade war going on we have no chance to see the latest EVs with a battery which has up-to-date technology. Even Tesla can’t use batteries from CATL or BYD for US market, although Tesla with its largest assembly plant in Shanghai, China, has to use more advanced CATL battery for very competitive Chinese EV market.

Right now, a PHEV is the best option for my next purchase in the States.

No, the article is talking about the latest EV battery technology, not about the car models like BYD concept Ocean X.
You stated that the 621 mile range is the norm, which it clearly isn't. It's not even available to purchase in a vehicle.

If PHEV fits your needs, go for it. I currently have both a BEV and an ICE. I personally would rather have both, than a single vehicle compromising on both technologies.

You stated that the 621 mile range is the norm, which it clearly isn't. It's not even available to purchase in a vehicle.
No, 621 mile range is the norm for EVs in other countries but definitely is not in the US as any EVs for sale here in the US can’t have longer range EV batteries from CATL or BYD.

If PHEV fits your needs, go for it. I currently have both a BEV and an ICE. I personally would rather have both, than a single vehicle compromising on both technologies.
I was saying my next new car purchase will be a PHEV as a pure EVs in the US can’t have more advanced batteries with longer range and super-fast charging. Yes PHEV is compromising on both sides and it isn’t ideal. I’d get a pure EV if it can equip the latest battery and the super-fast charging stations are widely available. Even if an EV with 621-mile range would be acceptable for me. I do have a couple of good and reliable ICE vehicles which should last for another 5 ~ 10 years hence I wouldn’t consider another ICE vehicle any time soon.

Did I mention that Tesla has to drop the price substantially in China recently due to the intense competition there. I hope we can have the same low price on EVs here but that should be just a pipe dream.

Last edited:
No, 621 mile range is the norm for EVs in other countries but definitely is not in the US as any EVs for sale here in the US can’t have longer range EV batteries from CATL or BYD.

No, it is not even a thing. No one anywhere is currently selling a BEV with 621 mile range.

From BYD:
1719080204760.png

You can currently get a Lucid with more range, in the US:
1719080370673.png

Did I mention that Tesla has to drop the price substantially in China recently due to the intense competition there. I hope we can have the same low price on EVs here but that should be just a pipe dream.
You must not keep up on Tesla in the US. They have substantially dropped pricing here over the past year, which has upset many early adopters.

No, it is not even a thing. No one anywhere is currently selling a BEV with 621 mile range.

From BYD:
View attachment 329324
You can currently get a Lucid with more range, in the US:
View attachment 329325
Yeh I may be jump on the 1,000km / 621 mile EV range too fast. But this news is more than 2 months old:

BYD is launching its next-gen Blade EV battery soon with more range and even lower cost

This’s 1,000km / 621 mile EV range announced earlier this year.

Here’s one of the current top-of-line BYD EVs available in China.

BYD 漢 王朝 EV 榮耀版

Notice that this AWD full size BEV sedan has 3.6 sec 0-100 kmh / 0-62 mph acceleration, 715 km / 444 mile range per full charge, and a 10-minute fast charge for 150 km / 193 mile driving range. The best of all is the price. The starting MSRP is only ¥179,800 CNY / $24,761 USD, and the top of line model is ¥249,800 CNY / $34,402 USD which has auto pilot、auto parking systems and much more.

ECFF2BCD-127C-4615-BBC4-431B9BDA5D4D.jpeg

F87AF117-F293-49B9-85F6-DDC30C0EE95D.jpeg

17783B48-59A8-4270-BDF7-BCE4DE7EB900.jpeg

F553442E-59B6-47C7-B8BD-1AE702ED3867.jpeg

Yes the Lucid EV looks very nice on specs. But when I checked the price, $100,000 for a used 2022 Lucid Air EV? Thank you very much!

You must not keep up on Tesla in the US. They have substantially dropped pricing here over the past year, which has upset many early adopters.
That’s good for potential EV buyers in the US. Competition is good, free trade is nice; protectionism? I don’t know ⋯ :unsure:

Back