Unsettling Experience with Stealership: Transmission and spark plug service

Check out Quirkparts next time. I want to say I pay like $36 for a 6 pack.
OK, $9.38 , but first I read "BACKORDERED" , then the page says it's in stock. IT does have the same number PE01 14 302B, which I guess is the latest version.

>Amazon

OOF. Look very closely at them when they show up, make sure they aren't counterfeit. Amazon and eBay spark plugs are full of counterfeit garbage.

Yes, that's a problem with Amazon. If it's not shipped directly from a reputable vendor who sells on Amazon, what's to prevent genuine and counterfeit parts from being mixed together in the same bin when the part is "sold by XXXX and fulfilled by Amazon".

Yes, that's a problem with Amazon. If it's not shipped directly from a reputable vendor who sells on Amazon, what's to prevent genuine and counterfeit parts from being mixed together in the same bin when the part is "sold by XXXX and fulfilled by Amazon".
I think, at least in the past, that Amazon sometimes pools inventory for fulfillment. When fulfilled by Amazon, it may not be the vendor's fault.

I received my plugs from Amazon. A visual inspection (per the numerous videos online) made them appear to be genuine. Then I did the resistance test as specified in this video and they passed (values were 5.22, 5.46, 5.94 and 6.24). And finally, I reached out to Niterra North America. I got a very quick response (under an hour) requesting some close-up photos of the plug as a whole, the tip and the stamped code. I sent those right away and got confirmation that the plugs are indeed legit. So my final cost at Amazon before tax was $38.88. But the Niterra guy did caution against buying from non-authorized sellers such as Amazon. YMMV. So, you can get a bargain price and checking for fakes is pretty easy. If they are fake, just return them.

Last edited:
I received my plugs from Amazon. A visual inspection (per the numerous videos online) made them appear to be genuine. Then I did the resistance test as specified in this video and they passed (values were 5.22, 5.46, 5.94 and 6.24). And finally, I reached out to Niterra North America. I got a very quick response (under an hour) requesting some close-up photos of the plug as a whole, the tip and the stamped code. I sent those right away and got confirmation that the plugs are indeed legit. So my final cost at Amazon with tax was $35.23. But the Niterra guy did caution against buying from non-authorized sellers such as Amazon. YMMV. So, you can get a bargain price and checking for fakes is pretty easy. If they are fake, just return them.
Thanks for the follow-up. From the video, I might just go straight to the resistance test.

I received my plugs from Amazon. A visual inspection (per the numerous videos online) made them appear to be genuine. Then I did the resistance test as specified in this video and they passed (values were 5.22, 5.46, 5.94 and 6.24). And finally, I reached out to Niterra North America. I got a very quick response (under an hour) requesting some close-up photos of the plug as a whole, the tip and the stamped code. I sent those right away and got confirmation that the plugs are indeed legit. So my final cost at Amazon with tax was $35.23. But the Niterra guy did caution against buying from non-authorized sellers such as Amazon. YMMV. So, you can get a bargain price and checking for fakes is pretty easy. If they are fake, just return them.
Which seller did you use?

Dealerships are rip off for service work. I had a similar quote (from the dealership) on my old 2019 CX-5 turbo when it was time to change out the plugs ( every 40,000 miles ) they quoted me $500+ dollars for the four plugs swap. I purchased the plugs from rockauto.com (cross reference the part numbers with Mazda parts department with rockauto on what they have on their website ) and had a trusted mechanic friend put them in for $60. All in it cost me under $175 with tip.

*This post I replied is for the turbo model. Same thing with the plug part numbers.

Last edited:
Installed them today. Pic is of the NGKs I took out with 74,715 miles on them. 30 minute job. Engine runs fine.

If you are going to do your own plugs, I highly recommend using a spark plug socket like https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) It has internal clips to hold the plug securely, makes the job so much easier and works better than magnetic spark plug sockets.

SparkPlugs.jpg

So I just called to have an oil change done at the stealership (They've been pretty good to me). I inquired about changing the transmission fluid and this service writer seemed pretty adamant to NOT changing it. He also said that it doesn't have a filter but "just a strainer". Also unsettling.
I just did the tranny fluid, filter and pan cleaning on my '14 CX5 / 60K miles. It's definitely a filter...and the magnet was covered in ferrous dust. And also definitely a good idea to do it: sealed for life means life of the warranty since the life of the transmission is obviously over when it craps out early due to lack of servicing.

Back