Advice for first trip to indie mechanic? 2021 CX-5

cx5boo333

2021 Cx5 GT AWD
Hey all! My ‘21 is around 40k and I’m going to my first independent mechanic in a week, now that I’m out of general warranty. I scheduled the appt for just an oil change - how should I go about this?

Pretty certain I need an oil change and tire rotation, and the typical inspection - but how should I go about (asking for) that? Should I upfront say I want those 3 things, or will they automatically do an inspection? (and therefore I’d just ask for oil change/tire rotation over the phone) I want to go into this fairly knowledgable so they don’t feel eager to dupe me for fake problems and such.

(BTW, I made a logbook of all the services I’ve gotten on the car and looked at the owners manual and it all checks out - gonna take good care of the cx-5 till it putters out!)

Any tips are appreciated! (such as if I should check they use a specific type of oil etc)

When was the last oil change and what was the mileage? And when were the wheels last rotated?

Tell the mechanic exactly what you want and expect, be nice about it. Tell the mechanic that you want an OEM oil filter and that the recommended oil be used. If the mechanic says that he doesn't have the OEM oil and/or filter, then buy these yourself elsewhere and bring them with you when you show up for your appointment. Be sure to ask the mechanic if this is cool to do.

As for the inspection, be VERY clear that you just want stuff looked at and a report generated if the car needs anything other than what you specified.

When was the last oil change and what was the mileage? And when were the wheels last rotated?
Thanks so much! That all makes sense - I’ll call back when they open tomorrow morning and specify these things etc.

Last oil change was @ 38,613 miles and on Jan. 2nd, 2024 - I’m at 43,258 miles now. Last tire rotation was @ 33.5k miles - didn’t get them rotated at 38.5k cause based on the tread it didn’t make sense to (but it’s probably overdue by now..)

Long explanation disclaimer: I rounded to 40k in my first post to avoid confusion/having to explain - I got a service 1.5k miles early a while back cause I was leaving NJ for CO, and my dealer there does free oil changes - so now I’m on track to get service 1.5k before each 5k mark (33.5k, 38.5k, 43.5k etc) - and the 38.5k service was covered, so this is my first non-dealer service

You're just under 5k miles for the oil change and it looks like the wheel rotation is at the proper milage. Neither are critical but should be done in the near future.

Check out your owner's manual for what should be inspected for the current milage so that you can compare this list to what the mechanic looks at.

Hey all! My ‘21 is around 40k and I’m going to my first independent mechanic in a week, now that I’m out of general warranty. I scheduled the appt for just an oil change - how should I go about this?

Pretty certain I need an oil change and tire rotation, and the typical inspection - but how should I go about (asking for) that? Should I upfront say I want those 3 things, or will they automatically do an inspection? (and therefore I’d just ask for oil change/tire rotation over the phone) I want to go into this fairly knowledgable so they don’t feel eager to dupe me for fake problems and such.

(BTW, I made a logbook of all the services I’ve gotten on the car and looked at the owners manual and it all checks out - gonna take good care of the cx-5 till it putters out!)

Any tips are appreciated! (such as if I should check they use a specific type of oil etc)
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Oil change can be done pretty much anywhere, any auto shop can or should do it with no problems.

Another advice: stick with your plan. Oil change and maybe tire rotation. Nothing less, nothing more. Make sure they have 0W20 or 5W30, whatever oil you use for your car, and if they try to hook you for something else, don't budge: " I'll think about it, I'll do it next time".

I would call and ask the cost at the indie mechanic. You might find it's not much cheaper than the dealer (mine does all the things you want as a matter of course, incl an inspection video).

Of course, if you don't like or trust your dealer, then ignore this :)

You also may want to consider an ATF change at that mileage. From what I have read, the lifetime fluid recommendation is not necessarily great for the longevity of the car. The dealer was very cryptic about it when I asked about it at my last oil change - 25k. I plan to have it changed at 30k at an indie shop.

I would call and ask the cost at the indie mechanic. You might find it's not much cheaper than the dealer (mine does all the things you want as a matter of course, incl an inspection video).

Of course, if you don't like or trust your dealer, then ignore this :)
Yeah I don't love the dealership out here.. lol - the only Mazda dealer I've been to and liked/trusted was Ray Price in Pennsylvania - was on the road when a check engine light came on. The NJ and CO dealers I've been to aren't the best (CO one better than NJ, but still...) Still good point though, to ask for price over phone. Thx!

You also may want to consider an ATF change at that mileage. From what I have read, the lifetime fluid recommendation is not necessarily great for the longevity of the car. The dealer was very cryptic about it when I asked about it at my last oil change - 25k. I plan to have it changed at 30k at an indie shop.
Noted - I looked it up and seems like some say every 40k, some say every 100k... kinda confusing. Anyone else have thoughts on how long they kept their "lifetime" ATF before changing it out?

"Inspect" means "check level". Your car is only 3 years old and 40K, your brake fluid should be fine for a couple more years,
That’s not correct as mileage has nothing to do with brake fluid. Brake fluid is a regular maintenance item done every three years. Can you go longer, yes, but it starts to take on water and can reduce braking effectiveness by making the pedal feel spongy.

The Mazda service schedule says inspect throughout the lifetime of the car. That’s pretty much garbage info as I don’t know what you are inspecting unless you are measuring water content. Brake fluid rarely changes level and if it does, you should not mix new fluid with old fluid to raise the level. Most manufacturers suggest changing the fluid every three years.

Along with a visual inspection of the brake fluid you can also test the moisture content of the brake fluid with a testing pen, one can even use the Ohm setting of a multimeter to test the moisture content of the brake fluid.

If you have a DMM google this, and you'll see what readings to look out for.

Along with a visual inspection of the brake fluid you can also test the moisture content of the brake fluid with a testing pen, one can even use the Ohm setting of a multimeter to test the moisture content of the brake fluid.

If you have a DMM google this, and you'll see what readings to look out for.
Yeah, this is true and I have a pen. The only issue is you are only testing the top portion of the reservoir as brake fluid doesn’t really circulate. It could be worse inside the caliper. It’s just better to bleed the fluid through every few years.

Back