What to do when your vehicle is submerging?

:
2022 CX-5 Turbo
This was an unfortunate tragedy.

It is critical what we do within the first 40 seconds if this happens to any of us.
Laminate side glass is not so easy to break even with a small hammer.

I checked the sideglass of all models on display at the dealership 2 days ago while I was waiting for oil change.
CX-30/CX-50: tempered glass
CX-5/CX-90: laminated
(all 2024 models)

These are the steps to take... according to the *expert* in video.
1. seat belt off
2. roll down side window (power should still be available for 30 seconds or so)
3. get out immediately (children first)

Personally, I think it should be 2-1-3...

I have to wonder about the 30 second 'window' of time that the power 'should' be available to open the windows.

Assuming that's true. 30 seconds sounds like enough time but imagine yourself in this situation. First the shock of crashing, then the shock of being in the water and possibly floating. That 30 seconds is going to go by very quickly.

I agree, open the windows first. I also wonder if in an EV will you still have the 30 seconds vs a ICE car?

If you can't open a window, you had better get to work opening a door!

There's a spring loaded punch device that some first responders carry for breaking window glass.
All cars should have them especially the ones near alot of water.

There's a spring loaded punch device that some first responders carry for breaking window glass.

I have one of those but it's not in the car. It's a spring-loaded center punch similar to this one. I use it for wood and metal working.

Of course, they have tools specifically for this purpose and most of those also have a seatbelt cutter incorporated into the tool.

This was an unfortunate tragedy.

It is critical what we do within the first 40 seconds if this happens to any of us.
Laminate side glass is not so easy to break even with a small hammer.

I checked the sideglass of all models on display at the dealership 2 days ago while I was waiting for oil change.
CX-30/CX-50: tempered glass
CX-5/CX-90: laminated
(all 2024 models)

These are the steps to take... according to the *expert* in video.
1. seat belt off
2. roll down side window (power should still be available for 30 seconds or so)
3. get out immediately (children first)

Personally, I think it should be 2-1-3...
The in rush of water will make getting the seatbelt off more difficult. I agree with the order recommended.

Always scenarios battery is taken out from impact before submerging in the water so no use of windows.

Is sunroof glass laminated on ‘24s as well?

I also think window should be first, BUT i can see why the seatbelt is important. When the water rushed in, you'll likely panic and can't get seatbelt off, especially when you have precious cargo in the backseat.

81HrEHlquZL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

It's since been reported that her blood alcohol level was 3 times over the legal limit to drive. Still a tragedy for her and the family.

According to the news report I saw, laminated glass can't be easily broken.

Also, unless you crash into a saltwater lake, the electronics should still work for a little bit.

Last edited:
This $190 tool will get you through laminated glass

You know, it wouldn't be hard to use a sensor to detect when the car is submerged and automatically roll down the windows.

Assuming the events that occurred prior to submerging don’t take out the battery. I’ve seen more wrecks with prior submersion damage than just a direct launch into the water. Doubtful any manufacturer but really high end are going to install secondary batteries to the power window motors.

I have one of those but it's not in the car. It's a spring-loaded center punch similar to this one. I use it for wood and metal working.

Of course, they have tools specifically for this purpose and most of those also have a seatbelt cutter incorporated into the tool.
I have a knife that has a seat belt cutter and punch on the end. I keep it in my door tray in my truck.

After reading this, I'll get on for the CX 5 as well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Back